Windows 10: PW incorrect after switching to PIN logon - Bug? - Recovery options? -

Discus and support PW incorrect after switching to PIN logon - Bug? - Recovery options? - in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi all, A couple months ago I switch my Windows account (local - Admin) password to a PIN. I recently attempt to re-institute a password but,... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by James22, Jun 28, 2016.

1. James22 Win User

PW incorrect after switching to PIN logon - Bug? - Recovery options? -

Hi all,

A couple months ago I switch my Windows account (local - Admin) password to a PIN.

I recently attempt to re-institute a password but, when asked to enter my password, was notified that it was incorrect. I have tried many different passwords as well as the current PIN used to logon.

I'm almost certain that the PW I'm entering is correct... I realize this may be a common problem (forgetting the PW after having used a PIN for a while) but I use a PW manager (Kneepass) so it was and is recorded in that database. Additionally, I've used the same Windows logon for ages and am not in the habit of changing it (never have to my memory).

Are there any known bugs with respect to changing over to a PIN and subsequent PW problems?

What is the best method for me to recover my account? A the moment the only method I can imagine would be to create another user (admin) account and copy my data over.. (will this work? any tips or things to look out for?)

Thanks so much! This is my first post but I've been a long-time reader and love the tutorials!

*Note:

- the account in question is a local account
    - no PW recovery disk was every made

:)

James22, Jun 28, 2016

2. Cannot login on other user login screen on windows10

I accidentally switched regular sign in screen to other user sign in screen. I used email & password but incorrect PW popped up. I changed Pw but still incorrect pw. Popped up again. Tried lower left screen for login, no luck. Any suggestions?

JesseSprayberry, Jun 28, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Sign on Locked out

Just this weekend Windows 10 would not recognize my PIN when signing in. Tried the password and received incorrect pw message and after so many attempts told to reset online. When I reset using same pw, Microsoft indicated this pw had been used (that's
    because it was my pw). Changed pw and typed it into sign-in. Windows 10 on laptop again said not my pw - but I could sign in online and the pw worked. Now I have signed in so many times, Mircosoft has locked me out of the sign-on id for this laptop. Microsoft
    had me create a new id. That allowed me to get into this forum to post a question for help, but will not get me into my admin setting changes. Fortunately the PIN, which I wrote down as I entered to show I was entering the same one over and over, now decided
    to work. But without a PW, I cannot disable the Microsoft Windows 10 sign-on. Can anyone help?

Alixanndra, Jun 28, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello James,

I'm not aware of any bug and I have used PIN and password interchangeably. A new account (make sure it is made up to an Admin account) is probably the best way to do it and should work fine. Once everything is transferred you can delete the old account.

philc43, Jul 5, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. PW incorrect after switching to PIN logon - Bug? - Recovery options? - - Similar Threads - incorrect switching PIN

2. Incorrect PIN bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect PIN bug: Hi There, I am a Windows 11 User and this afternoon I restarted my computer, and when I clicked on the lock screen it told me I entered the wrong PIN too many times, and I needed to type the usual A1B2C3, even though I didn't enter the wrong PIN.I restarted again just to make...
  3. Incorrect PIN bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incorrect PIN bug: Hi There, I am a Windows 11 User and this afternoon I restarted my computer, and when I clicked on the lock screen it told me I entered the wrong PIN too many times, and I needed to type the usual A1B2C3, even though I didn't enter the wrong PIN.I restarted again just to make...
  4. How to solve the problem of incorrect pw in BSOD?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to solve the problem of incorrect pw in BSOD?: Hi, My windows 10, dell Inspiron 3542 has encountered Blue screen of death problem and it is asking for a password on all steps. I am entering my microsoft account password but it's saying "password is incorrect". The password is correct and is working on other devices. I've...
  5. Advanced Recovery Options Password Incorrect Fix

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Advanced Recovery Options Password Incorrect Fix: I wanted to uninstall an update so i went to advanced recovery options but when i inserted my passwordof my microsoft account the password was incorrect i tried multiple times but the problem still remained. Then i turned off the option "Only allow windows hello sign in for...
  6. Strange Login-Problem after Re-Start (PW Option not available + Pin/Hello not working)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Login-Problem after Re-Start (PW Option not available + Pin/Hello not working): Seems like I am facing a catch 22 situation with Windows Login. After restart, I have only Windows Hello available (but seems not to work any longer, driver?) AND Windows PIN (which also does not work, tells me about an error and if I want to create a pin, then says it needs...
  7. PIN INSTEAD PW

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PIN INSTEAD PW: I have two MS accounts. One is password/PIN protected and is Administrator also. The other frequently used is only Password protected. I tried to give a PIN which is not accepted. * Moved from MSN...
  8. PIN Required to Sign in; incorrect PW & PIN

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PIN Required to Sign in; incorrect PW & PIN: my lenovo yoga running windows 10 stopped taking my fingerprint, password, and pin at the login page a few days ago. i’ve tried every combination possible. It says PIN required to sign in. Its just a cycle of ‘incorrect’ Details: - forgot password: I need a recovery disk...
  9. Keep PIN logon option as default every time

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Keep PIN logon option as default every time: Hello, Every time I use my laptop outside of my office I use the fingerprint scanner, which works just fine. However, this seems to change the default sign in type to fingerprint. When I dock the laptop and try to sign in, I have to change it manually back to PIN from the...
  10. Switch back to PIN from Windows logon

in Windows 10 Support
    Switch back to PIN from Windows logon: Hi!!! The laptop that I use a PIN to log on clearly has on the login screen under the PIN area the option to change to other types of login credentials (i.e., MSID, Local Account), but on another laptop where I changed over to Windows Logon I do not have any such option...