Windows 10: Change Account Password in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Account Password in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Account Password in Windows 10 How to Change Password of Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10 If you have a local... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by wptski, Aug 6, 2015.

1. wptski Win User

Change Account Password in Windows 10

How to: Change Account Password in Windows 10

How to Change Password of Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10

If you have a local account on the PC, then your Windows password is what you use to sign in to your user account in Windows on the PC.

If you have a Microsoft account, then your password is what you use to sign in to online Microsoft services and Windows on PCs and devices that you use the same Microsoft account on.

You can help keep your PC or device more secure by changing your password regularly and by using a strong password. If you forget or lose your password, there are several things you can try to change, remove it.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you different ways to change or reset the password of your or any local account and Microsoft account in Windows 10 and online.

If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.

If you had set Windows to automatically sign in to a local account at startup that you just changed, reset, or remove the password of, then you will need to set Windows to automatically sign in to the local account at startup again to update it with the new password.

A Microsoft account password can only contain up to 16 characters.

picture password sign-in options for all Microsoft accounts on the sign-in screen and in Accounts > Sign-in options > Settings.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Password of your Local Account in Settings app
    • Option Two: To Change Password of your Local Account in CTRL+ALT+DEL secure screen
    • Option Three: To Change Password of any Local Account in Control Panel
    • Option Four: To Change Password of any Local Account in Local Users and Groups
    • Option Five: To Change Password of any Local Account in Command Prompt
    • Option Six: To Change Password of your Microsoft Account in Settings app
    • Option Seven: To Change Password of your Microsoft Account Online at Microsoft

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Password of your Local Account in Settings app
    1 Open Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.

2 Click/tap on Sign-in options on the left side, and click/tap on the Change button under Password. (see screenshot below)

Change Account Password in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3 Type in your current password, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

4 Type in a new password and password hint, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

5 Click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

6 You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Password of your Local Account in CTRL+ALT+DEL secure screen
    1 While signed in to your local account, press the CTRL+ALT+DELETE keys to open the secure screen.

2 Click/tap on Change a password. (see screenshot below)

3 Type in your current old password, type in a new password, and press Enter or click/tap on the arrow. (see screenshots below)

4 Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Change Password of any Local Account in Control Panel
    You must be signed in as an enable the built-in Administrator account to sign in and use to reset the password of the other account.

This option should only be used if the local user has forgotten his or her password, and does not have a password reset disk.

For security reasons, Windows protects certain information by making it impossible to access if the user's password is reset. When an administrator changes the password of another user's local account on the PC, that local account will lose access to all EFS-encrypted files, personal certificates, and stored passwords for Web sites or network resources.

1 Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the User Accounts icon.

2 Click/tap on the Manage another account link. (see screenshot below)

3 If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

4 Click/tap on a local account (ex: Brink) that you want to change or remove the password of. (see screenshot below)

5 Click/tap on Change the password. (see screenshot below)

6 Type in a new password and password hint, and click/tap on Change password. (see screenshot below)

7 When finished, you can close the "Change an Account" Control Panel if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Change Password of any Local Account in Local Users and Groups
    You must be signed in as an enable the built-in Administrator account to sign in and use to reset the password of the other account.

Local Users and Groups is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

This option should only be used if the local user has forgotten his or her password, and does not have a password reset disk.

For security reasons, Windows protects certain information by making it impossible to access if the user's password is reset. When an administrator changes the password of another user's local account on the PC, that local account will lose access to all EFS-encrypted files, personal certificates, and stored passwords for Web sites or network resources.

1 Type lusrmgr.msc in the search box in the Start menu or on the taskbar, and press Enter.

2 If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3 Click/tap on Users in the left pane, select a local account (ex: Brink_2) in the middle pane, and click/tap on More Actions and Set Password in the right pane. (see screenshot below)

4 Click/tap on Proceed to confirm. (see screenshot below)

5 Type in a new password, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

6 Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

7 You can now close Local Users and Groups if you like.

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Change Password of any Local Account in Command Prompt

When an administrator changes the password of another user's local account on the PC, that local account will lose access to all EFS-encrypted files, personal certificates, and stored passwords for Web sites or network resources.

1 Open an elevated command prompt.

2 Do step 3 or step 4 below for what command you would like to use.

3. To Change or Remove Password of Local Account without Prompts
    A) In the elevated command prompt, type the command below that you want to use, press Enter, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

(To change password)
    net user "UserName" "NewPassword"

Substitute UserName in the command above with the actual user name of the local account within quotes that you want to change the password of.

Substitute NewPassword in the command above with the actual new password within quotes for the local account.

4. To Change or Remove Password of Local Account with Prompts
    A) In the elevated command prompt, type the command below, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

net user "UserName" *

Substitute UserName in the command above with the actual user name of the local account within quotes that you want to change the password of.

B) When prompted, type a new password and press Enter, retype the new password to confirm and press Enter, and then go to step 5 below.

You will not see the password as you are typing it.

5 When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION SIX [/i] To Change Password of your Microsoft Account in Settings app
    1 Open Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.

2 Click/tap on Sign-in options on the left side, click/tap on Password under Manage how you sign in to your device on the right side, and click/tap on the Change button. (see screenshot below)

3 If prompted to verify your identity, select how you want to verify. (see screenshot below)

4 Type in your current old password, type in a new password, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Passwords for a Microsoft account must have at least 8 characters and contain at least two of the following: uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.

You must choose a password that you haven't used before. To help protect your account, you need to choose a new password every time you reset or change it.

5 Click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

6 You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION SEVEN [/i] To Change Password of your Microsoft Account Online at Microsoft
    1 Do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to go online at Microsoft.

2 Go the step 4 below.

3 Open Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.
    A) Click/tap on Your info on the left side, and click/tap on the Manage my Microsoft account link at the top on the right side. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on the More actions link under your account picture, and click/tap on the step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

4. If prompted to verify, type in the current password of your Microsoft account, and click/tap on Sign-in. (see screenshot below)

5 Type in your current password, type in a new password, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

If you like, you can also check the Make me change my password every 72 days box.

Passwords for a Microsoft account must have at least 8 characters and contain at least two of the following: uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.

You must choose a password that you haven't used before. To help protect your account, you need to choose a new password every time you reset or change it.

6 Your Microsoft account password is now changed.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

wptski, Aug 6, 2015
  2. Shenan Stanley, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Need to change login Password not Microsoft Account Password in windows 10, cannot use CtrlAltdelete as it does not give me the change password option

I need to change my login password in windows 10, now the change password option that I am given indicates it is a change password for Microsoft Account. I do not want to change my Microsoft Account password.

TinaReeves, Aug 6, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello wptski,

A password is required for a Microsoft account, and cannot be removed.

Option Two is for a local account instead. *Sad

Brink, Aug 6, 2015
  5. wptski Win User
    In Option three, Change Password isn't even available.

wptski, Aug 6, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    wptski,

You will have to use OPTION 6 or 7 for a Microsoft account. The options for a local account will not work with a Microsoft account. *Smile

Brink, Aug 6, 2015
  7. wptski Win User
    Hmm, I had read what the difference of the two was! *Sad W10 must be different than W7 as I have no problem adding/removing my password when needed to perform certain operations. Oh well, thanks!

Scratch Option eight, same results.

wptski, Aug 6, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Yes, there's a difference. In Windows 10, you can have a Microsoft account (email address) or a local account (like W7).

From your screenshots, you have a Microsoft account, so you would just need to use the options in the tutorial for it instead. *Smile

Brink, Aug 6, 2015
  9. wptski Win User
    Well, scratch Option Eight, same results.

wptski, Aug 6, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It won't matter because a password is required for a Microsoft account. You cannot remove the password of a Microsoft account.

If you like, you can switch to a local account using the tutorial below, then be able to remove the password of your local account.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

If you wanted to be able to use any Windows apps (aka: modern apps) in a local account, you would need to sign in to the Store with a Microsoft account though.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Aug 6, 2015
  11. joya Win User
    Assuming we can still log on to our computers, it's easy to change the password by following the options above. When we're completely locked out and couldn't login, then we might have to use a disk to reset the password. The disk could be a password reset disk, Windows setup DVD, or a Linux live CD.

Reset Lost Windows 10 Password without Reset Disk or Third Party Software
    How to Change or Reset a Windows 10 Password
    Change Your Forgotten Windows Password with the Linux System Rescue CD

Hope this information is also helpful.

12. Merlyn Win User
    Hi Brink, Since you are an admin I thought I would provide what finally worked for me to reset local accounts (no microsoft account, or reset disk) on my PC after upgrading to Windows 10. The solutions above did not.
    Log in as the admin. Holding down the "windows key" and press "r" , a run dialog box appears, then type "netplwiz" and click OK - the rest is easy you get a user account screen and there is an option to reset passwords

Merlyn, Dec 9, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Merlyn, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Yeah, that works great for a local account (see option one below), but this was for a Microsoft account instead.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...a.html#option1

Brink, Dec 10, 2015
  14. Terarant Win User
    Hm. I successfully changed my Microsoft account password, but when I tried to log into my PC (on which that account is the only one - no local), the old password still worked. What's up with that?!

Terarant, Apr 3, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Terarant, *Smile

The new password will not sync to the PC unless it's connected to the Internet. Sometimes, it may take up to 24 hours to reset afterwards.

Until this happens, the old password will still work.

Brink, Apr 3, 2016
Thema:

1. Change Account Password in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Account Password

2. Account password change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Account password change: This microsoft account password thing makes setting up windows and all of that so much easier...The thing that gets me is that it's good account and password security to change your password regularly, but if you're using the MS account password on your pc, every time you...
  3. Account password change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Account password change: This microsoft account password thing makes setting up windows and all of that so much easier...The thing that gets me is that it's good account and password security to change your password regularly, but if you're using the MS account password on your pc, every time you...
  4. Changing Password to Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Password to Account in Windows 10: Dear Community, Thanking you in advance for any replies. I have a laptop, that runs Windows 10. When I bought this laptop, I had an e-mail address in Yahoo. When the laptop asked me for my e-mail address, I entered the Yahoo one. Now, I have a Microsoft address....
  5. Can't change windows password, mistakens for microsoft account password change.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't change windows password, mistakens for microsoft account password change.: My mom wants to change her password on her old windows computer, suddenly, when she tries through account> sign-in options> change password it just redirects her to her microsoft account, where she has to type her current password, and what the new password should be. I know...
  6. Change Password on Windows 10 EMAIL account with saved Password that will not Change

Change Password on Windows 10 EMAIL account with saved Password that will not Change: I have read the articles on EMail /Settings/ Manage Accounts and been unable to Change the Password on an E mail account that apparently has a remembered password from in the past. How do I change the password which is different now. I have tried SAVE several times and it...
  7. Change account password

Change account password: How do I change the local account password to log into my computer while staying logged into my Microsoft account? I use a much more simple password for logging into my computer than I do for my Microsoft account because I have to type it in via memory a lot, whereas I use...
  8. Changing the microsoft account password doesn't change the windows login password?

Changing the microsoft account password doesn't change the windows login password?: Hi, Here is the case, I use RD Client all the time and accidentally I signed in using a someone else's computer yesterday and I strongly believe that I stored my credentials to connect to my computer. But today I wanted to change the account password so what I went...
  9. change an account password

change an account password: how do I change a user password from the administrator account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-an-account-password/415b08cb-595c-4949-b24e-09faffdf1b84
  10. Change Picture Password for your Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Picture Password for your Account in Windows 10: How to: Change Picture Password for your Account in Windows 10 How to Change Picture Password for your Account in Windows 10 [img] Information You can sign in to your PC with a picture password. You choose the picture and the three gestures you use with it to create a...