Windows 10: Question on how Win 10 handles updates?

Discus and support Question on how Win 10 handles updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So I upgraded this morning from 8.1 to 10, so far I really like it. I am curious about how Windows 10 handles it's updates? In 8.1, I could go into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by dburne, Dec 26, 2015.

1. dburne Win User

Question on how Win 10 handles updates?

So I upgraded this morning from 8.1 to 10, so far I really like it.

I am curious about how Windows 10 handles it's updates? In 8.1, I could go into control panel, and double click on windows update, and it would find any available updates ( usually defender on a daily basis) and then some routine updates usually monthly. I always preferred to select the updates I wanted to install and then install them on my own time.

Don't know that I see a way to do this in Windows 10? I did find under settings, where I could choose to only download from Microsoft and to notify me rather than automatic - does that accomplish the same thing? Will it notify me and allow me to choose the updates I want to install?

I know sometimes previously in 8.1 updates might find some hardware drivers and offer them, I always get those from my hardware vendors, don't really want to be getting those from MS.

I am sure as time goes by this will become more clear to me, just curious now more than anthing.
    Thanks for any tips,

:)

dburne, Dec 26, 2015
  2. Whizzn Win User

Get Windows 10 App notification method

Hi !

I've just reserved Win 10 for my laptop. The reservation states it will download Win 10 in the background and notify me when it's ready to install. However, I do not leave the laptop on all the time. I monitor my email on my desktop which I do not want
    the upgrade on yet. How will this app handle notifying me and how will I receive Win 10 if it's not left on for a background download ??

Thanks in advance for your time and help with my question.

Whizzn, Dec 26, 2015
  3. windows 10

how do i know if my machine is able to handle win 10 or not. i dont want to bog it down?

geneandcol, Dec 26, 2015
  4. Question on how Win 10 handles updates?

Windows 10 is taking a different approach and bundling updates together. Also, it is automatically installing them and taking much of the user interaction away. This could be good in that security vulnerabilities are patched no matter what (so long as you are internet connected), but some see it as a suppression of choice.

There are some things you can prevent updating automatically, such as other MS products, and you can also defer upgrades till later.

In addition, you are able to select that you do not want to have device drivers install automatically (found in device installation settings).

Hope this was helpful!

DustSailor, Dec 26, 2015
  5. The driver updates is a dangerous one, whilst Windows is good at finding some - on my mine I had a Bluetooth dongle and on insertion Windows 10 automatically downloaded the right driver. Very good but you don't want it messing with your GPU or sound drivers if you are happy with the hardware driver. As such we need a feature to specify what hardware one doesn't want driver updates for rather than a switch off for whole system

Scottyboy99, Dec 26, 2015
  6. cereberus Win User
    For Home users at least, the switch to select drivers not to be installed does not work, and in fact has now been removed in version 10586. (if it appeared to work in 10240, that is just coincidence.

cereberus, Dec 26, 2015
  7. dburne Win User
    So then if I understand correctly, I have no real control over the hardware drives Windows 10 may decide to install?

Hopefully then if I am running a more updated driver release , it will not overwrite it? Namely I would be talking about the graphics card, keyboard, and sound card drivers.

dburne, Dec 26, 2015
  8. cereberus Win User

In essence, yes. You can manually install drivers but next time you get a major update, they might get reset which is a PITA.

It is a real problem if one of the windows 10 selected drivers does not work at all eg keyboard drivers but that is quite rare.

cereberus, Dec 26, 2015
  9. dburne Win User
    Ok thanks that is good to know, I will be sure and check my hardware drivers after updates happen to occur.

dburne, Dec 26, 2015
  10. Jennysa Win User
    I think I am having a problem with the automatic updates as I have limited data and am finding that my entire month's data can be used up in a single update. I could choose manually on Windows 8 as to whether I wanted to update or not, but now the choice is taken away and I am chewing up data. Any solutions to this?

Jennysa, Dec 27, 2015
  11. Liklely you are using Wi-Fi... in that case, you have to set it to metered. Here is how: Wireless Network Metered Connection - Set in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

DustSailor, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Question on how Win 10 handles updates? - Similar Threads - Question handles updates

2. BSODs - WIN 10 - KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSODs - WIN 10 - KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED: Hello,I'm having trouble with some BSOD in the last few days. They happen at random times with different messages and last was KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED message with Ndu.sys as the cause. No idea how to fix, I already tried updating drivers, firmware, deleting some software...
  3. Win 11 update questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 11 update questions: I have yet to do the 21H1 update and surprisingly enough, it's scheduled for october 5th, will Win 11 be out for everyone on that day or no? I'd rather wait a year or more before I upgrade to that or just never upgrade my PC to Win 11 and get a new PC later on with it. There...
  4. Can't Update Win 10: Kmode Exception Not Handled

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't Update Win 10: Kmode Exception Not Handled: I can't seem to update Windows 10 64-bit home from version 1903 (May 2019) HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 860-121, 16GB RAM, GTX 970, 500GB SSD As it goes through the update process, it stops about 27% complete and I get a BSOD with the KMOD exception not handled error. There is...
  5. Win 10 Questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Questions: Hello all again, I'm looking for the "Registry Editor" ? Anyone know where I can find it ? Thank you. 159300
  6. Update question Win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update question Win 10: Hello! I uninstalled an update called KB4549951 because I read it had issues. I am on win 10 pro and I have set feature updates to a 60 day delay. Today the update is back in the updates pending section. I am not not sure as to what to do or whats going to happen. If...
  7. Question Regarding the Win 10 Update Process

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question Regarding the Win 10 Update Process: Hello, When downloading and installing a Win 10 update (in this case, Win 10 Cumulative Update KB4462919 for Version 1803), what is the sequence of events that are supposed to occur? To clarify, right now my computer is in the process of attempting to install this update and...
  8. Win 10 Anniversary Update BSOD - Thread Exception Not Handled

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 Anniversary Update BSOD - Thread Exception Not Handled: Hello, I'm attempting to update my laptop Windows 10 Version 14XX (not sure exactly of the current build iteration) to the 1607 anniversary update. I made this attempt 2x yesterday both times resulted in the update failing getting the BSOD with Thread Exception Not...
  9. Win 10 question

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 question: Okay, I hate Win 8 and absolutely refused to use it. To me Win 10 is hardly much better. First of all I'm not 20 years old anymore and don't give a darn about all these apps of which 98% are pointed toward kids. And where's the desktop with my programs? That's what I want to...
  10. Win 10 Update question ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Update question ?: I have one PC and run Win8.1 or Win10. depending on which SSD I use I run Win7 most of the time and every few months pit the Win 8.1 SSD to get the updates They are Win 7 Ultimate and Win8.1 Pro versions Question is if I update the Win8.1 SSD to Win10 and put it...