Windows 10: Question regarding program shortcuts

Discus and support Question regarding program shortcuts in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a computer running Windows 10 that is multi-user for both me and my wife. When I install a program as the administrator under my account and set... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Electric_Rooster, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Question regarding program shortcuts

I have a computer running Windows 10 that is multi-user for both me and my wife. When I install a program as the administrator under my account and set up a shortcut on my desktop the same shortcut shows up on my wife's (limited user account). So she ends up with a bunch of desktop shortcuts for programs that she will never use and when she deletes them it then deletes it from my desktop. What am I doing wrong? And is there any way to prevent this from happening?

submitted by /u/Electric_Rooster
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Electric_Rooster, Dec 7, 2019
  2. das10 Win User

Delay launching programs with keyboard shortcuts

From reading around, my understanding (and I stand to be corrected) is that the 2-3 second delay is a Windows default delay where Windows searches for any other app or program running at the time on your PC which MIGHT have the same shortcut as the program you are running and switch over to it instead of running the program initiated by your shortcut. In case of any unresponsive or misbehaving app or program, Windows waits 2-3 seconds before moving on to the next running program.

see:
    Why is there sometimes a long delay between pressing a hotkey for a shortcut and opening the shortcut? The Old New Thing
    for this explanation

There are also some trouble shooting steps which you can try listed down the page here:
    slow windows desktop keyboard shortcuts - Super User

As regards the store and settings, I would try to reset at least the store app as per instructions here :
    Clear and Reset Store Cache in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

I would also disable fast startup at least once and do a full shutdown and restart as often times it helps to get rid of some bugs in Windows.

Hope this helps you narrow down the solution. Otherwise, just wait for someone else to chime in.

das10, Dec 7, 2019
  3. terrace Win User
    Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.Question regarding program shortcuts :)

terrace, Dec 7, 2019
  4. 3Colors Win User

Question regarding program shortcuts

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Question regarding program shortcuts :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Dec 7, 2019
Thema:

Question regarding program shortcuts

1. Question regarding program shortcuts - Similar Threads - Question regarding program

2. Regarding earlier question with answer that did not help. Shortcut on windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Regarding earlier question with answer that did not help. Shortcut on windows 11.: Hello,This toppic did not work:Microsoft helpI have some games were I need to hold down Windows + Space key and when I do that the system changes language.I tried with PowerToys but did not work Allso runned in administration.So is there another way for us to be able to...
  3. Regarding earlier question with answer that did not help. Shortcut on windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Regarding earlier question with answer that did not help. Shortcut on windows 11.: Hello,This toppic did not work:Microsoft helpI have some games were I need to hold down Windows + Space key and when I do that the system changes language.I tried with PowerToys but did not work Allso runned in administration.So is there another way for us to be able to...
  4. A question regarding BIOS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A question regarding BIOS: Hi , Good evening! I am having a problem with my windows 10 bios HP pavilion laptop. My bios doesnt have the advanced tab and whenever i follow a tutorial from google or YouTube it always plays a beep sound. Any help will be appreciated and please tell me how i can unlock the...
  5. Question regarding BSoD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question regarding BSoD: Hello!whenever I start my laptop, it shows BSoD RTKVHD64.sys and not booting I want to recover my data but the laptop shows the blue screen and it starts again and again but not letting me to have a backup of my data ....
  6. Question regarding BSoD

Question regarding BSoD: Hello!whenever I start my laptop, it shows BSoD RTKVHD64.sys and not booting I want to recover my data but the laptop shows the blue screen and it starts again and again but not letting me to have a backup of my data ....
  7. Question regarding taskbar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question regarding taskbar: I currently have a three monitor setup and I only want two taskbar, is it possible to do that in Window? submitted by /u/ToSaKuMiRK [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/krb8o2/question_regarding_taskbar/
  8. Program shortcuts in Windows 10 vs Windows 7 (programming question)

Program shortcuts in Windows 10 vs Windows 7 (programming question): When a program is run, command-line arguments are passed to it as Arg 1, Arg 2, .... Additionally, Arg 0 is the path of the program. When a program is run from a shortcut in Windows 7, it appears that arg 0 is the path of the real .exe but in Windows 10, Arg 0 is the path of...
  9. New SSD, Question regarding moving programs and OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New SSD, Question regarding moving programs and OS: I purchased a Samsung SSD 500gb and I am trying to make it where my OS and all of my programs boot from the SSD, and all of my standard files are saved on my regular hard drive. The problem is, I currently have two hard drives installed due to a computer change (I pulled the...
  10. Question Regarding Bluetooth

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question Regarding Bluetooth: Hi guys. Just a quick question as i can't seem to find an answer on the web. I'm on latest November build for W10 Pro and Bluetooth is automatically on with no option to toggle it on or off. I've turned off the Bluetooth services etc but still it won't go off. Bit unsure why...