Windows 10: Questions about moving Picture, Document folders to secondary drive

Discus and support Questions about moving Picture, Document folders to secondary drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have a new Windows 10 Pro laptop with a SSD for the OS and a 1 TB hard drive for storage. I have been trying to follow the tutorial How to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LHiggins, Aug 2, 2019.

1. LHiggins Win User

Questions about moving Picture, Document folders to secondary drive

Hello,

I have a new Windows 10 Pro laptop with a SSD for the OS and a 1 TB hard drive for storage. I have been trying to follow the tutorial How to Move Your Pictures Folder Location in Windows 10 to move the documents, music, and pictures folders to the 1TB drive, without much success.

I have followed the steps several times, and one of two things happens. Either the file "is" copied - a file is created at the new location, but the same file also exists in the original location, and the start menu icons still link to the original folder. And/or the file is copied to the 1TB drive, and it links properly, but when I save something in that file, it also is saved in the original file. For some reason, it seems that the file was copied, not moved, and I think the result is going to be duplication of saved files.

I had thought that restarting the laptop after I made these changes would set things right, but so far, that has not happened.

I just used the Video folder as my test since I don't anticipate saving many videos, so each time, I chose to revert to the default location before starting over. Each time it said that the original folder did not exist, but it would create a new one - which it seemed it did back into the original location, and the linking is intact.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I know that there should be a way to move these folders so that they retain the link from the start menu icons to the D drive locations. Is the missing step the need to also tell the laptop where the default save location is as is described in this tutorial Change Save Location for New Apps in Windows 10 ? I know it is about apps, but further down it does also discuss documents etc. I did not do this - should I have?

Thanks for any help. This has been a bit frustrating, as it makes perfect sense int he tutorial, and I just can't quite figure out why it won't work.

LH

:)

LHiggins, Aug 2, 2019
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

enso, Aug 2, 2019
  3. Moving Librariy files and folders to secondary hard drive

Hi Bailey,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Yes, as you said you will face problems if you cut and paste the library folders to the new hard drive. If you cut and paste the libraries folder some of the Windows functions such as Downloads, Music, Pictures and Videos
    will not work properly

If you want to access the library folders in the new hard drive, I suggest you to copy the Library folders (Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos). Follow the steps to copy the library folders.

• Press Windows + E keys on the keyboard to open Windows explorer.

• Find the Libraries on the left navigation pane of the Windows Explorer. (If libraries are not there, click on
      View tab at the top of Windows explorer, click on Navigation pane and select the
      Show Libraries)

• Now, right click on Libraries from the left navigation pane and click on
      Copy.

• Open the new hard drive and paste the Libraries folder by pressing
      CTRL + V key on the keyboard. (paste the libraries folders on the new hard drive where ever you want)

As you have less space on the primary hard drive, I suggest you to follow the below article to free up drive space.

Free up drive space in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/free-up-drive-space

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Aug 2, 2019
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Suddenly, Documents folder has moved to Downloads

We appreciate the details you've provided. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to move your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10:

• You need to create a new folder named Documents at the location you want to move your personal Documents folder.
    • Press Win + E to open File Explorer, right-click
      Documents, and select Properties.
    • Select the Location tab and click the Move button.
    • Browse and select the new Documents folder at the location you want to move the folder Documents. Click the
      Select Folder.
    • Click OK to apply.
    • Click Yes to move all the files from the old location to the new location.
    • Your personal Documents folder and all of its contents will now be moved to the new location.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Aug 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Questions about moving Picture, Document folders to secondary drive - Similar Threads - Questions moving Picture

2. Moved my documents folder to a new drive, and now the documents folder is there, but not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moved my documents folder to a new drive, and now the documents folder is there, but not...: At first, I accidentally moved the Documents folder to the root drive folder E:/ and I moved it back by restoring registry files to their defaults.Now I correctly made a Documents folder E:/Documents and moved the folder there. However, while I can access the folder from the...
  3. Reassign location of "Documents" folder to secondary Drive??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reassign location of "Documents" folder to secondary Drive??: My laptop has two drives, Drive C: is a Solid State drive w/ 118 GB capacity which is nearly full. Drive D: is a disk that has over 900 GB. Since I am running low on space for Drive C:, I would like to know if its possible to change the location of the "Documents" folder to...
  4. Reassign location of "Documents" folder to secondary Drive??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reassign location of "Documents" folder to secondary Drive??: My laptop has two drives, Drive C: is a Solid State drive w/ 118 GB capacity which is nearly full. Drive D: is a disk that has over 900 GB. Since I am running low on space for Drive C:, I would like to know if its possible to change the location of the "Documents" folder to...
  5. Problems moving Documents & Pictures folders from OneDrive folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems moving Documents & Pictures folders from OneDrive folder: Hi. I have a new laptop which I am just setting up to my liking and I didn't want OneDrive. This may have been a mistake but I have cleaned out all the files from the cloud and uninstalled OneDrive from my computer. I have been left with a OneDrive folder in my users/name...
  6. Moving Documents/Pictures/etc folders between drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving Documents/Pictures/etc folders between drives: I've recently got a new laptop with SSD and HDD. When the laptop arrived, all the user library folders such as Documents, Pictures etc were set up to be on the C: drive SSD, all linked to OneDrive. I wanted to move them on the the HDD, which is something I've managed fine on...
  7. secondary documents folder

secondary documents folder: Recently I have been scanning photos into my documents folder. Everything was fine and now there is a secondary documents folder where the photos are saving into but I want them to go into the original folder. For now I can move them over so that's not a problem for the time...
  8. Moving the "Pictures" folder to a new drive

Moving the "Pictures" folder to a new drive: Hello, I recently installed a new harddrive and wanted to move the "Pictures", "Documents" etc. folders to that drive. I tried just going into the "Pictures" folders properties and selected my new drive without a folder so I moved it from "C:\users\account" to just the new...
  9. Moving Documents-Pictures Folders to Separate Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Documents-Pictures Folders to Separate Partition: I'd like some opinion. I formatted the 16.7 GB RESTORE partition to clean it out to put documents and pictures there to minimize the C: backup size and just keep them separate. Turns out the 16.7 GB is too small for putting a backup but I could put documents. Does it make...
  10. Question about saving to Documents and other folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about saving to Documents and other folders: Upgraded last night and am slowly working through minor issues. One thing that's confusing me - my username is supposed to be in the Administrator group on my computer, but my settings seem to be connected to the Home User group instead. I first discovered this when I...