Windows 10: Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10

Discus and support Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Pictures Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by prikker, Aug 7, 2017.

1. prikker Win User

Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10

How to: Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10

How to Move Your Pictures Folder Location in Windows 10

By default, Windows stores your personal Pictures folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink").

You can change where files in this Pictures folder are stored to another place on the hard drive, another drive, or another computer on the network.

This tutorial will show you how to move the default location of your Pictures folder to where you want in Windows 10.

It is highly recommended to create a system image backup first to make it easy to undo if you were to make a mistake in the steps below.

Here's How:

1. If you currently have your Pictures folder protected by OneDrive, then you will need to temporarily turn off OneDrive protection for this folder until after you move it.

2. If you haven't already, you will need to create a new folder named Pictures at the location (ex: "E:" ) you want to move your personal Pictures folder to. (see screenshot below)

Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Open This PC in File Explorer (Win+E), right click on your Pictures folder, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

If you don't see the Pictures folder in This PC, then you can also click/tap on the icon in the address bar of File Explorer, type shell:My Pictures into the address bar, and press Enter to open your Pictures folder no matter where it may be located.

You can then right click or press and hold on an empty area in your Pictures folder, and click/tap on Properties.

4. Click/tap on the Location tab, and click/tap on the Move button. (see screenshot below)

5. Browse to and select the Pictures folder at the location (ex: "E:\Pictures" ) from step 2, and click/tap on Select Folder. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on OK to apply. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on Yes to move all the files from the old location to the new location. (see screenshot below)

8. Your personal Pictures folder and all of its contents will now be moved to the new location (ex: "E:\Pictures" ). (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

prikker, Aug 7, 2017

2. User folder "pictures"

I tried to move my user folder "pictures" from it's default windows 10 location to OneDrive but i did it wrong. Now my OneDrive folder IS MY PICTURES folder complete with the little picture icon on the folder symbol. How can reverse this?

CharlieFeddersen, Aug 7, 2017
  3. FrankL_1 Win User
    Windows 10 anniversary Update: Pictures File under "This PC" points to OneDrive after update instead of local file

After my laptop (an HP envy X360 ~ 2 months old) upgraded to the Windows 10 anniversary edition (from Windows 10)

System Model HP ENVY x360 m6 Convertible

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version10.0.14393 Build 14393

Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.187

The “Pictures” folder under “This PC” is linked to “C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive\Pictures” instead of “C:\Users\XXXX\Pictures”. This was properly linked before the Anniversary edition upgrade.
    Using “Location” under properties for “C:\Users\XXXX\Pictures” the indicated location is changed back to “C:\Users\XXXX\Pictures” from “C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive\Pictures”.
    After responding either “Yes” or “No” to the “Do you want to move all the files from the old location to the new location” prompt and “Yes” to the “Do you want to redirect folder “Pictures” into another system folder “Pictures” located at
    “C:\Users\XXXX\Pictures” I get the following error:

The folder can’t be move here

Can’t move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can’t be redirected.

Access is denied

I’ve tried renaming and deleting the local Pictures folder, unlinking OneDrive etc, but can’t seem to get the “This PC” Pictures folder to point to the local file instead of OneDrive. I always get the above error.

Other folders under “This PC” are pointing to the local folders as expected. How can I get the Pictures folder to point to the local file instead of OneDrive?

Thanks

Frank

FrankL_1, Aug 7, 2017
Thema:

Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10

1. Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Move Location Pictures

2. Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...: I've lost the contents of the "Pictures" folder, and a folder named "Desktop" but the contents are in the folder named "Pictures" in my wife's account trying to move them from the C to D drive.To free up space on the C drive, I began moving my wife's default folders to the D...
  3. Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...: I've lost the contents of the "Pictures" folder, and a folder named "Desktop" but the contents are in the folder named "Pictures" in my wife's account trying to move them from the C to D drive.To free up space on the C drive, I began moving my wife's default folders to the D...
  4. Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Moved my pictures folder location to my H drive but forgot to creat the PICTURES folder....

Moved my pictures folder location to my H drive but forgot to creat the PICTURES folder....: I Moved my pictures folder location to my H drive but forgot to creat the PICTURES folder. Now my picture location is literaly all of my H drive, photos videos, files all included. I am now stock with my H drive as my pictures folder, is there way to correct it? Thank you....
  6. Can't move the location of pictures folder, as well as documents, etc.

Can't move the location of pictures folder, as well as documents, etc.: I've been trying to move the location of these kinds of folders, but simply can't, windows tells me that there's a folder that can't be moved. I looked all over the internet for solutions, and everywhere they say to change de registry, which I did, but it didn't work. My C:/...
  7. Access Denied - moving Pictures folder to default or other locations

in Windows 10 Support
    Access Denied - moving Pictures folder to default or other locations: I changed the location the of my Pictures folder from the default C:\users\myname\Pictures to D:\onedrive\pictures, Worked great until I decided to use new Google Photo on Google Drive. Using File Explorer, I moved all photos from D:\one drive\pictures to E:\Google...
  8. Move Location of Videos Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Videos Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Videos Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Videos Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your personal Videos folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink"). You can change where files in this Videos...
  9. Move Location of Searches Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Searches Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Searches Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Searches Folder Location in Windows 10 If you regularly search for certain files in Windows, then you could save the search criteria as a Saved Search to be able to quickly access and perform your...
  10. Unable to move location of My Documents or My Pictures folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to move location of My Documents or My Pictures folders: So currently when I go into "This PC" I have 6 icons at the top : Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures & Videos. As I'm running my OS off a 120gb SSD I typically store my documents/photos/videos etc on another drive, in this case my D drive. If I right click >...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. xXxXpicturesi

2. cant move pictures folder access is denied 2019

3. restore this pc pictures