Windows 10: Random Freezes/BSoDs?

Discus and support Random Freezes/BSoDs? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello everyone. I have recently been receiving constant freezes (hard freezes, can't do anything, computer is still running but Gpu fans stop, monitor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by EmmZeeAy, Apr 16, 2016.

1. EmmZeeAy Win User

Random Freezes/BSoDs?

Hello everyone. I have recently been receiving constant freezes (hard freezes, can't do anything, computer is still running but Gpu fans stop, monitor freezes, controls lock up, etc.) and BSoDs. To add some backstory, this just randomly started happening about 4 months after I made this build (I made it around Christmas, and this is the first time it ever froze or blue screened.) The freezes seem to occur after a few hours of gaming, but never while I'm gaming (meaning it freezes when I go take a bathroom break or am not doing anything that requires a lot of work from the computer,) and the BSoDs occur following the freeze, and every time until I give up. The blue screens have no rhyme or reason, either. It seems every time it blue screens, it gives me a different reason. The most common reasons, however, are 'IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL,' 'SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION,' and 'BAD_POOL_CALLER.' Does anybody have any idea what it could be? I would provide a dump file, but my computer doesn't work for long enough to navigate to it and attach it to this post (I'm submitting this on my iPad.) My specs are:

ASUS M5A99FX rev 2.0
    MSI GeForce GTX 980
    AMD FX 9370 8 core 4.4ghz
    2x8 DDR3 G.Skill TridentX @ 1866mhz
    Standard 1tb HDD
    Kingston HyperX SSD 256gb
    Thermaltake 750w psu

Please let me know if I can provide anymore information. Keep in mind, I can only have the computer running for about 1-3 minutes before it freezes or blue screens.

I should also mention I have tried reinstalling Windows, booting in safe mode to diagnose issues (doesn't blue screen or freeze in safe mode no matter the time,) and running memory checks, all to no avail.

:)

EmmZeeAy, Apr 16, 2016

2. Windows 10 freezes randomly

Have the random freezes stopped?

Gerry C J Cornell, Apr 16, 2016
  3. What is the fix for Microsoft freezing at random

What is the fix for Microsoft freezing at random

CecilFrith, Apr 16, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Random Freezes/BSoDs?

Please read How to upload files

You should be able to follow the instructions in safe mode, although some data may be incorrect collected due to safe mode.

5. EmmZeeAy Win User
    Thank you for the reply. I managed to do a normal boot and create the dump file for you.

EmmZeeAy, Apr 16, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    It looks like your memory isn't seated properly, it looks like it is seated in DIMM_A1 & DIMM_A2 while it should be either DIMM_A2 & DIMM_B2 or DIMM_A1 & DIMM_B1 or in other words the same colored slots.

Seat the memory properly and let me know how it goes *Smile

7. EmmZeeAy Win User
    Thank you for the help. So far so good! I actually feel really stupid knowing I but them in a1/2. I didn't even realize I did until you said that haha.

On a slight tangent, do you know a good application where I can monitor my computer's temp levels? I've been noticing my processor is getting slightly more hot than it used to be, and I just want to watch it in case I need to replace the liquid cooling on it. Thank you!

I will edit this message if it crashes.

EmmZeeAy, Apr 16, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

Random Freezes/BSoDs?

I use Speccy & HWMonitor for the temps *Smile
    You could also use Realtemp, but then there is a risk of getting problems because it uses WinRing0.sys which is a driver known for causing BSODs especially because it is in most cases dating around 2008. Please note it is only a risk, but that doesn't mean that the risk will occur *Smile
    I've used Realtemp myself for some time without problems, I removed it because I didn't use it much at the time.

9. EmmZeeAy Win User
    Perfect time for your reply. I just got a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION BSoD

It now only ever gives this reason (from what I've seen in the last 20 or so minutes) and still locks up from time to time.

EmmZeeAy, Apr 16, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
  11. axe0 New Member
    Random Freezes/BSoDs? [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    DRIVER VERIFIER

Warning Please make a backup of your important files and get your rescue media or create one.
    Please create a restore point.
    Please follow this tutorial to run driver verifier.

Some windows drivers are blamed in a few crashes, but that usually means that a 3rd party driver is actually the cause.
    Driver verifier stresses your drivers and will crash your pc if any driver fails due to a violation.

Driver verifier should be performed for a max of 48 hours, or when you have a bluescreen, whatever comes first.

If driver verifier has found a violation and you can't get back into windows normally, try to boot into safe mode and reset in safe mode driver verifier, or in the troubleshooting options open command prompt and type verifier /reset.

Note Your system will act very sluggishly while driver verifier is enabled, this is normal as your drivers will be being subjected to heavy testing in order to make them crash.

12. EmmZeeAy Win User
    Hey I'm back.. I ran the verifier for 48 hours, my computer worked flawlessly (even better than with it off.) The next boot after I disable it, I start freezing before I can even log in. I have only gotten one blue screen so far, 'KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.' I will try to boot in safe mode again to post the dmp. I will edit this message when I am able to.

Edit: I can't even boot in safe mode. The computer freezes on boot or fails to boot overall. Tried about 10-15 times

EmmZeeAy, Apr 19, 2016
  13. axe0 New Member

Random Freezes/BSoDs?

Lets try some bootable tests

Diagnostic Test
    RAM TEST

Run MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Note

MemTest86+ needs to be run for at least 8 complete passes for conclusive results. Set it running before you go to bed and leave it overnight. We're looking for zero errors here. Even a single error will indicate RAM failure.
    Addition:
    If errors show up you can stop the test, remove all sticks but 1 and test this single stick in each slot for 8 passes or until errors show, switch sticks and repeat.
    If errors show up and you see them a lot later, no problem, the errors don't affect the test.

Diagnostics Test
    HDD TEST

Run SeaTools to check the integrity of your HDD. SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums

Note Do not run SeaTools on an SSD as the results will be invalid.

Run chkdsk
    Disk Check - Windows 7 Help Forums

14. EmmZeeAy Win User
    Alright. I ran the test 10 times.

Test 1: 2 sticks in a1 and b1. Froze and restarted computer 1:58 in.
    Test 2: 2 sticks in a2 and b2. Same as test 1.
    Test 3: Stick 1 in a1. Froze just past pass 1.
    Test 4: Stick 2 in a1. Same as stick 1.
    Test 5: Stick 1 in a2. Froze 30 seconds in.
    Test 6: Stick 2 in a2. Same as test 5.
    Test 7: Stick 1 in b1. Passed all 8 with no problems.
    Test 8: Stick 2 in b1. Same as test 7.
    Test 9: Stick 1 in b2. Passed all 8 tests.
    Test 10: Stick 2 in b2. Same.

I'm assuming it's my motherboard that's the issue then?

EmmZeeAy, Apr 20, 2016
  15. axe0 New Member
    There is a possibility yes, if you can borrow a stick to see if it happens too with the borrowed stick it may confirm it.

Thema:

Random Freezes/BSoDs?

1. Random Freezes/BSoDs? - Similar Threads - Random Freezes BSoDs

2. Random bsods and freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random bsods and freezing: I'm getting random bsods and occasionally my PC will freeze so that I have to manually power it off. I've tried resetting windows, updating drivers, rolling back drivers, etc. Here is a folder with a few of the most recent dump files:...
  3. Random bsods and freezing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random bsods and freezing: I'm getting random bsods and occasionally my PC will freeze so that I have to manually power it off. I've tried resetting windows, updating drivers, rolling back drivers, etc. Here is a folder with a few of the most recent dump files:...
  4. Random bsods and freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Random BSOD and freezing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Random BSOD and freezing: I purchased a PC a month or so ago and have been experiencing random BSOD and freezing. It seems to happen any time as I can't find a trigger. I'm not doing anything specific other than every day use. The BSOD seems to happen at least a couple times a week and the freezing,...
  6. Random BSOD and Freezes

Random BSOD and Freezes: Hi all, I've been periodically getting BSODS (recent ones such as (1) kmode exception not handled fltmgr.sys and (2) Page fault in nonpahed area) and random freeze (especially when i tilt my laptop or am carrying it). Attached is the zip file. The current laptop i...
  7. Random freezes and BSODs

Random freezes and BSODs: I have a Sony VAIO laptop, model SVE14A290X, which had Windows 8.1 installed on it. I waited until late December 2015 to upgrade to Windows 10, and followed all of the instructions and driver downloads given on the Sony website.But since then I've been having regular freezes...
  8. BSOD And random freeze

BSOD And random freeze: Hello everyone. For long time I was having problem with my old HDD it was faulty and my PC crashed from time to time (format + new windows). I decide to change my old HDD and get a new HDD and new SSD to act as window partition. After i install everything i started to...
  9. Random freeze and BSOD

Random freeze and BSOD: Hi, i have random freeze and BSOD with various errors. dumps as requested by stickythread are attached. i will provide more dumps when the problem will happen again. Thank you. The problem was caused by the motherboard (BIOS P1.90), it seems that does not...
  10. Bsod/freeze at random

Bsod/freeze at random: at random times my pc will get bsod or just freeze and i need to restart. 90% of the times i turn the pc on it happens after 5-10 minutes and can then be good for several hours later. don't know what causes this, anyone have an idea? 82593