Windows 10: Random Freezing (no logs created); now CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD

Discus and support Random Freezing (no logs created); now CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; TL;DR: My computer randomly freezes anytime from once to four times a week with no Event Viewer logs or memory dumps. Recently, it's started to blue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PayneTrain, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Random Freezing (no logs created); now CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 14393 Multiprocessor Free
    CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
    Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 (MS-7693)
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
    PSU: SeaSonic G-Series 80+ Gold 650W
    Memory: 8128MB (2x4096) DDR3-1600

My computer has had a freezing issue where very suddenly the computer will become unresponsive and loop the last played audio frequency. It never blue screens or shuts offs; eventually, I'll need to hold the power button or unplug the computer to restart it.

No event viewer logs or memory dumps are ever made and the problem can never be reproduced, so I end up having to wait anywhere from one day to one week for it to happen again. I originally posted on Tom's Hardware (you can see my thread here) and so far I've tried:

• Multiple clean installs of Windows 10
    • Memtest86+ (6+ hour test, all passes, no errors)
    • Setting power options to High Performance and HDD to "Never Turn Off"
    • Updating BIOS
    • Change from IDE mode to ACHI mode
    • Checking hard drive health with HD Tune - reallocated event count for my SSD was 16 and the freezing issue was quite common with my old SSD so I had it RMA'd but this didn't change anything
    • Prime95 torture testing (10 hours straight right now with no crashes - my temperatures are attached below as temps1.png, temps2.png, and temps3.png)

Just this week, however, the freeze occurred for about 3-5 seconds before a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error appeared instead before the computer shut down. I'm hoping whatever caused this blue screen is behind what's been causing the persistent freezing issue and fixing this would fix that too. I've attached the requested logs below as well. Thanks!!

EDIT1: System Specs updated for more detail.

:)

PayneTrain, Oct 29, 2016

2. Recent Frequency Increase: BSOD [CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT]

I'm experiencing an increasing frequency of Computer FREEZE and BSOD [CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT] instances, usually when I'm watching Online TV shows or movies (TWC Online). I've stopped using "EDGE" because of ongoing problems, and am now using "CHROME" as
    my default browser. I understand that, basically, Windows can not handle interrupts when this happens, but what can I expect from Microsoft to correct this annoying problem and be more compatible with Online Video Services?

Summary of recent occurrences:

* 12/30/2015: 03:13:00 PM : TWC_Online : Request to File Explorer : BSOD (THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER) : Auto-Restart : c:/Windows/Logs : WindowsUpdate @ 3:16 PM, dosvc @ 3: 18 PM : c:\Windows\Minidump\123015-20968-01.dmp

* 12/31/2015: 03:45:00 AM : TWC_Online : BLACKSCREEN, Auto-Restart : c:/Windows : NO Minidump; Logs: dosvc, WindowsUpdate

* 01/10/2016: 4:32 AM : FREEZE while watching CBS 'Blue Bloods' on TWC_Online. Hard Power-Off required to restart computer

* 01/21/2016: 1:13 PM: Watching “The Blaze” live broadcast: BSOD (CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT) with NO Auto-Restart. Hard Power-Off to Restart

* 01/23/2016: 4:17 AM: Watching TWC Online: FNC : Freeze, then BSOD (CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT) : waited 10 minutes: with NO Auto-Restart. Hard Power-Off to Restart

RalphHosmer, Oct 29, 2016
  3. BSOD / FREEZE Problems with WINDOWS 10

DISCUSSION: The following is recent BSOD/FREEZE occurances. I'm not interested in finding the cause of each one, but rather, when is Microsoft/AMD/et al going to upgrade Windows 10 and/or AMD
    drivers to better handle interrupts and multiple threads.

Configuration: HP 500-314 Computer with: Windows 10 (64 bit), Processor: AMD A8-7600 [Radeon R7 Graphics, 10 Compute Cores (4C + 6G), 3100 MHz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)], 8 GB Memory,
    2 TB HD, 500 GB External HD (Iomega).

RECENT BSOD/FREEZE OCCURANCES:

31.Dec.2015: 03:45:00 AM : TWC_Online : BLACKSCREEN, Auto-Restart : c:/Windows : NO Minidump; Logs: dosvc, WindowsUpdate :
    10.Jan.2016: 4:32 AM : FREEZE while watching CBS 'Blue Bloods' on TWC_Online. Hard Power-Off required to restart computer :

21.Jan.2016: 1:13 PM: Watching “The Blaze” live broadcast: BSOD (CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT) with NO Auto-Restart. Hard Power-Off to Restart :

23.Jan.2016: 4:17 AM: Watching TWC Online: FNC : Freeze, then BSOD (CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT) : waited 10 minutes: with NO Auto-Restart. Hard Power-Off to Restart :

4.Feb.2016: 5:25 AM: BSOD [THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER] w/Auto-Restart: while watching TWC_Online (Channel 37) :

20.Feb.2016: 7:55 PM: three + hours into Defender Full Scan: BSOD [CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT] :

21.Feb.2016: 1:35 AM: BSOD [CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT] w/ NO Auto-Restart: while watching TWC_Online (Channel 37) :

21.Feb.2016: 12:23 PM: BSOD [THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER] w/Auto-Restart: while watching TWC_Online (AMC) :

22.Feb.2016: 3:25 AM: FREEZE while watching TWC (Billions) :

2.Mar.2016: 6:52 AM: BSOD [THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER]. Preceeded by: deletion of several files from File Explorer “Quick Access” list, then attempt to access TWC_Online via desktop shortcut. :

RalphHosmer, Oct 29, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Random Freezing (no logs created); now CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD

Hi PayneTrain,

Do you have other memory kits that run at 1866MHz? Or can you borrow any?
    Your memory runs at 1600MHz while your CPU supports 1866MHz.

Please fill in your system specsPlease follow this tutorial and download the tool. The tool will give you detailed information about your system specs, please fill in your system specs more completely including PSU, cooling and other used stuff like mouse, keyboard, monitor, case, etc.
    The PSU, cooling and other stuff are NOT mentioned in the tool.
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'. After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.

Random Freezing (no logs created); now CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD [​IMG]

5. Hi, my system specs on my profile and in this thread have been updated now using the 7Forums tool. I do not have access to any other memory kits at this time.

PayneTrain, Oct 29, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    Do you know any friend, family or neighbour who you could ask?

7. Hi - I've asked some friends and none of them have DDR3-1866 RAM modules.

PayneTrain, Oct 29, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

Unfortunately I see no other solution than getting a new kit of DDR3 1866MHz memory to test with *Sad

9. Do you mind explaining why you think the RAM frequency is behind this problem? You mentioned my CPU - the AMD FX-8350 - supports 1866 MHz RAM, but it does also support 1600 MHz RAM too, no? I can't spend $50+ on RAM when I'm not even sure that's what the problem is..

PayneTrain, Oct 30, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    If you could provide a link where clearly is stated that your CPU supports 1600MHz I would appreciate it.

Incompability, incompatibility is a very annoying cause. It doesn't occur very often, but it something that should be checked.

11. AMD's website says that it supports frequencies up to and including 1866 MHz.

I also asked the question on their community forums to verify this information.

PayneTrain, Oct 31, 2016
  12. axe0 New Member
    I missed this part...
    Some other questions:
    • What stress test option(s) did you run with Prime95?
    • What stress test did you use for your GPU?
    • Did you test your PSU similar to what is described in this tutorial? (Just to confirm it's been done properly *Smile )
    • What are the 3.3v, 5v and 12v values according to the BIOS?
    • When you RMA'd your old SSD, did you change cables and/or connection port when installing the new SSD?
    • I assume there is no overclock present?
    • After a clean install, did you wait for a random freeze to occur before installing any software/driver?
    • What are the voltage and timings of the RAM according to the BIOS?
    • What is the voltage of the CPU according to the BIOS?

Please run CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID, open it and make screenshots of the following tabs
    • CPU
    • Mainboard
    • Memory
    • SPD*
    • Graphics
    *SPD shows the details of each stick, you can show the details by choosing different slots in the left upper corner.
    Please make screenshots of each stick.

Please post each screenshot in your next reply/replies.

13. Random Freezing (no logs created); now CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD

• I ran the torture test Blend for all ten hours before ending the test. No crashes or freezes.
    • I used FurMark. It wasn't recently so I may have the settings wrong but I'm sure it was a standard Full HD stress test for about six to eight hours. No crashes or freezes.
    • I have not. I'll run through the tutorial given if I can get my hands on a multimeter.
    • 3.3V = 3.328V; 5V = 5.061V; 12V = 12.232V
    • I did not change cables or connection ports.
    • No overclock - could I confirm this somewhere to be sure? There is no overclock.
    • Yes, it has frozen immediately following a clean install with no new software or drivers (other than hardware drivers)
    • 11/11/11/28 timing for both sticks; I couldn't find the voltage readings in BIOS but CPU-Z does say they run at 1.50V
    • CPU Core Voltage = 1.040V, or 1.048V, or 1.056V

Attached are the photos you requested from CPU-Z

PayneTrain, Oct 31, 2016
  14. axe0 New Member
    1. Please run Prime95 again, but use the Small FFTs and the In-Place large FFTs options. Run Prime95 at least a few hours with each option.
    2. Please open Furmark and try to remember what options were checked, or run Furmark again according to the instructions below in the post. I believe that the standard options should be edited a little where in the settings all options should be checked except for 'Dynamic camera', see the tutorial for the exact configuration.

6. The best place is the BIOS.

Diagnostic test
    GPU TEST

Run Furmark tutorial

Note Run Furmark for around 30 minutes

Warning Your GPU temperatures will rise quickly while Furmark is running. Keep a keen eye on them and abort the test if temperatures rise too high
    When finished, make a photo/screenshot of Furmark and post it.

In Furmark you can find a tool called 'GPU-Z' (if you want to install GPU-Z is up to you), when GPU-Z is open click on the 'Sensors' tab, on this tab you can monitor
    • the frequency of the GPU,
    • the GPU memory clock,
    • the temperature,
    • the power,
    • the load on the GPU,
    • Etc.
    I would like you to make a screenshot of GPU-Z after you have either cancelled Furmark for any reason or Furmark is finished, post this screenshot in your next reply with the result of Furmark.

15. I've updated Steps 4, 8, and 9 of my previous reply with the BIOS readings. I have also successfully ran Furmark for about 55 minutes with no crashes or artifacts. I have attached the Sensors tab of GPU-Z below.

PayneTrain, Oct 31, 2016
Thema:

1. Random Freezing (no logs created); now CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD - Similar Threads - Random Freezing logs

2. pc freeze randomlye and CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT bsod

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pc freeze randomlye and CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT bsod: hi my pc freezes randomly and restart when im trying to play gamessometimes it shows a bsod CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUThere are some information in my reliability monitor:SourceWindowsSummaryShut down unexpectedlyDate‎6/‎8/‎2022 2:28 PMStatusReport sentProblem signatureProblem...
  3. pc freeze randomlye and CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT bsod

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    pc freeze randomlye and CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT bsod: hi my pc freezes randomly and restart when im trying to play gamessometimes it shows a bsod CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUThere are some information in my reliability monitor:SourceWindowsSummaryShut down unexpectedlyDate‎6/‎8/‎2022 2:28 PMStatusReport sentProblem signatureProblem...
  4. Bsod: Clock_watchdog_timeout

Bsod: Clock_watchdog_timeout: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. - log v2 Windows 10 1909 18363.1016 I've upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 3600, with new mobo and DDR4 ram to boot. Everything was fine for the first month or so, but now I got multiple BSOD of the...
  5. Random BSOD with CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error

Random BSOD with CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error: Hi, I have had my PC for 3 years now. This is the following specs: Motherboard: ASRock AB350M Pro4 AM4 CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 1600 6-Core 3.2 GHz (3.6 GHz Turbo) RAM: 32 GB Power Supply: SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V OS: Windows 10 Pro Build 19041.329 Ever since...
  6. Random BSOD with CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error

in Windows 10 Support
    Random BSOD with CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error: Hi, I have had my PC for 3 years now. This is the following specs: Motherboard: ASRock AB350M Pro4 AM4 CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 1600 6-Core 3.2 GHz (3.6 GHz Turbo) RAM: 32 GB Power Supply: SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V OS: Windows 10 Pro Build 19041.329 Ever since...
  7. New PC Clock_WatchDog_Timeout and random Freezes

New PC Clock_WatchDog_Timeout and random Freezes: Hi all I bought and built a custom PC about 3 days ago: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, Asus Strix Radeon Rx 590, 16gb Corsair Vengeance, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ml240r rgb cooler, Cooler Master mwe 650w bronze 80+, Firecuda 1tb 3.5" SSHD and Samsung 860pro 512gb (installed OS on this...
  8. CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD: Hello All, My computer has been experiencing BSOD's starting last week. The BSOD will only occur while I am playing a videogame and even then the time in which the BSOD occurs will vary each time. I could have just booted the game or have been playing for an hour. The error...
  9. Brand new Build. BSod CLock_Watchdog_Timeout and Freezes.

Brand new Build. BSod CLock_Watchdog_Timeout and Freezes.: I spent all weekend building up a new computer: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X41 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB)...
  10. BSOD clock_watchdog_timeout

BSOD clock_watchdog_timeout: So I got this bsod CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. PC froze at 30% while it was auto restarting. Added 2 more ram sticks and this happens a day after. Had issue with the ram's software (to control RGB). They are G.skill Trident Z RGB. Installed the software after adding ram, pc...