Randomly switching to unwanted keyboard layout

Discus and support Randomly switching to unwanted keyboard layout in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I type in French I use the Canadian Multilingual Standard layout. This is what I have configured in my settings and it is what worked fine for me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ricecrispies, Jun 1, 2018.

1. ricecrispies Win User

When I type in French I use the Canadian Multilingual Standard layout. This is what I have configured in my settings and it is what worked fine for me for years until a week or two ago (which suggests the April update may have had something to do with it).

Now when I switch to French I find that I am often in another layout which I believe to be the Canadian French layout, although I am not completely sure. It is similar to the Canadian multilingual with the most notable difference being that the è and the / are swapped round. I have never chosen the Canadian French keyboard in my preferences and it isn't listed there now. Canadian Multilingual is what is listed.

What's even more annoying is that the layout seems to switch randomly between Canadian Multilingual and Canadian French while I am typing, so I am never really sure what is going to happen when I try to type an è.

How can I get my keyboard to consistently be Canadian Multilingual when I am typing in French?

:)

ricecrispies, Jun 1, 2018
  2. ricecrispies Win User

When I type in French I use the Canadian Multilingual Standard layout. This is what I have configured in my settings and it is what worked fine for me for years until a week or two ago (which suggests the April update may have had something to do with it).

Now when I switch to French I find that I am often in another layout which I believe to be the Canadian French layout, although I am not completely sure. It is similar to the Canadian multilingual with the most notable difference being that the è and the / are swapped round. I have never chosen the Canadian French keyboard in my preferences and it isn't listed there now. Canadian Multilingual is what is listed.

What's even more annoying is that the layout seems to switch randomly between Canadian Multilingual and Canadian French while I am typing, so I am never really sure what is going to happen when I try to type an è.

How can I get my keyboard to consistently be Canadian Multilingual when I am typing in French?

ricecrispies, Jun 25, 2018
  3. dalchina Win User

You could see if you can use the override default input option, assuming this is available (I think it isn't if you only have one keyboard installed- which would be logical). This worked in a similar case where the user had an unwanted keyboard layout in use.

(Note- appearance may differ if you are on build 1803)

Set Default Keyboard Layout in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

dalchina, Jun 25, 2018
  4. [EXIT] Win User

switching keyboard layouts between devices

I recently bought a surface book on a holiday to USA and it has a US keyboard layout. When I set this device to use the US keyboard layout it switched all of the other devices on my account to suit. How can I set the surface book to a US keyboard Layout
    but keep my desktop, laptop and tablet on the UK keyboard layout (which is the keyboard layout they all use) but still all attached to the my Microsoft account?

Step by step instructions would be appreciated for an idiot.

Thanks

[EXIT], Jun 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Randomly switching to unwanted keyboard layout - Similar Threads - Randomly switching unwanted

2. Switching to a local account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switching to a local account: When I switch to a different account it says, "Switch to a local account". Can the account I’m switching to be accessed by anyone in my area?...
  3. Windows 10 Mobile Keyboard after August 18 update.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Mobile Keyboard after August 18 update.: I loaded an update today and now the spacebar in the keyboard does not work. How do I revert to the previous version so that I can send sensible messages. Moved from: Microsoft Lumia and Nokia Lumia / Using Windows 10 on phone...
  4. Windows 10 repositions/resizes programs when locking or switching users

Windows 10 repositions/resizes programs when locking or switching users: This is a common issue among large screen resolutions and has been around since at least 2011 as evident by this post: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/is-there-a-way-to-set-windows-7-login-screen/b6b95eb5-736e-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5 Will...
  5. Added wireless keyboard

Added wireless keyboard: My added wireless keyboard I use with my laptop is typing extra symbols and letters. Language selected for my laptop is English (USA). https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/added-wireless-keyboard/a503c982-8eaa-4147-803f-4d834fa8362d
  6. Random BSOD 0x124_genuineintel_processor_cache

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random BSOD 0x124_genuineintel_processor_cache: I have been suffering from apparently random BSOD's for about 12 months. I have dissasembled and rebuilt the PC and done several clean installs. PC crashes during Games as well as simple tasks like youtube or ebay. Not apparently stress related. PC is running i7 965 at 3.2GHz...
  7. Switching a user doesn't switch language preferences [bug report]

Switching a user doesn't switch language preferences [bug report]: I would like to report a bug. We have two windows accounts on our computer - me (administrator) and my girlfriend. I have these languages/keyboard layouts set up: English, Czech, Russian She has these: English (UK), Czech, Slovak, Russian, Serbian, Macedonian,...
  8. Microsoft designer keyboard automatically sleeping, then won't reconnect to bluetooth

Microsoft designer keyboard automatically sleeping, then won't reconnect to bluetooth: I use the microsoft designer bluetooth keyboard. The problem is it goes to sleep if not being used for around 10 minutes. It then takes at least 10-15 minutes of messing around with bluetooth to get it to reconnect again (turning bluetooth and the keyboard on and off again,...
  9. Steelseries Apex 100 usb gaming keyboard not recognized after Windows 10 update

Steelseries Apex 100 usb gaming keyboard not recognized after Windows 10 update: Steelseries Apex 100 usb gaming keyboard not recognized after Windows 10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/steelseries-apex-100-usb-gaming-keyboard-not/48276ac3-2e9a-499e-97cd-a130a3f28761
  10. Win10 keyboard problem computer

Win10 keyboard problem computer: How do i get my computer to stop typing the - symbol when i try and use the Slash? The ? is now the dash + shift... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/win10-keyboard-problem-computer/8a64e62f-4e7e-494b-918f-d24f9208392c