Windows 10: Randomly switching to unwanted keyboard layout

Discus and support Randomly switching to unwanted keyboard layout in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I type in French I use the Canadian Multilingual Standard layout. This is what I have configured in my settings and it is what worked fine for me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ricecrispies, Jun 1, 2018.

1. ricecrispies Win User

Randomly switching to unwanted keyboard layout

When I type in French I use the Canadian Multilingual Standard layout. This is what I have configured in my settings and it is what worked fine for me for years until a week or two ago (which suggests the April update may have had something to do with it).

Now when I switch to French I find that I am often in another layout which I believe to be the Canadian French layout, although I am not completely sure. It is similar to the Canadian multilingual with the most notable difference being that the è and the / are swapped round. I have never chosen the Canadian French keyboard in my preferences and it isn't listed there now. Canadian Multilingual is what is listed.

What's even more annoying is that the layout seems to switch randomly between Canadian Multilingual and Canadian French while I am typing, so I am never really sure what is going to happen when I try to type an è.

How can I get my keyboard to consistently be Canadian Multilingual when I am typing in French?

:)

ricecrispies, Jun 1, 2018
  2. ricecrispies Win User

When I type in French I use the Canadian Multilingual Standard layout. This is what I have configured in my settings and it is what worked fine for me for years until a week or two ago (which suggests the April update may have had something to do with it).

Now when I switch to French I find that I am often in another layout which I believe to be the Canadian French layout, although I am not completely sure. It is similar to the Canadian multilingual with the most notable difference being that the è and the / are swapped round. I have never chosen the Canadian French keyboard in my preferences and it isn't listed there now. Canadian Multilingual is what is listed.

What's even more annoying is that the layout seems to switch randomly between Canadian Multilingual and Canadian French while I am typing, so I am never really sure what is going to happen when I try to type an è.

How can I get my keyboard to consistently be Canadian Multilingual when I am typing in French?

ricecrispies, Jun 25, 2018
  3. dalchina Win User

You could see if you can use the override default input option, assuming this is available (I think it isn't if you only have one keyboard installed- which would be logical). This worked in a similar case where the user had an unwanted keyboard layout in use.

(Note- appearance may differ if you are on build 1803)

Set Default Keyboard Layout in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

dalchina, Jun 25, 2018
  4. [EXIT] Win User

switching keyboard layouts between devices

I recently bought a surface book on a holiday to USA and it has a US keyboard layout. When I set this device to use the US keyboard layout it switched all of the other devices on my account to suit. How can I set the surface book to a US keyboard Layout
    but keep my desktop, laptop and tablet on the UK keyboard layout (which is the keyboard layout they all use) but still all attached to the my Microsoft account?

Step by step instructions would be appreciated for an idiot.

Thanks

[EXIT], Jun 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Randomly switching to unwanted keyboard layout - Similar Threads - Randomly switching unwanted

2. Unwanted keyboard layout keeps showing up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unwanted keyboard layout keeps showing up: Hi everyone, I got a really weird problem which keeps disturbing my typing experience for half of a year. I mainly use two keyboards: English (US) and Chinese Simplified - Pinyin. However, every time I restart the PC, an English (US) - International keyboard layout...
  3. Keyboard layout

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard layout: Hi I am trying to get the keyboard I am used to (Canadian Multilingual) where the way to type "à" is first the accent key then the letter. This keyboard also gives me the french style quotation marks when I type shift 2. Thanks in advance Robert...
  4. switch desktop layout to Windows 7 layout?

switch desktop layout to Windows 7 layout?: how do I switch from Windows 10 desktop layout to Windows 7 layout? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/switch-desktop-layout-to-windows-7-layout/03d05cc9-9235-445d-b41b-c83ea5b41cd3
  5. How can I keep the unwanted keyboard layout from reappearing?

How can I keep the unwanted keyboard layout from reappearing?: I’ve removed a keyboard layout from my keyboard settings, but if I later try to switch keyboard layouts using the hotkey (Windows Key + Spacebar) or by clicking the keyboard layout on the taskbar, the unwanted keyboard layout sometimes randomly reappears as one of my options,...
  6. microsoft layout keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    microsoft layout keyboard: can Microsoft layout key board can be used as virtual Keyboard https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/microsoft-layout-keyboard/94dc7f09-641f-4121-8c4c-7b97e2f7d10e
  7. How to prevent windows from switching keyboard layout on the fly ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to prevent windows from switching keyboard layout on the fly ?: hey all i have 2 keybard layouts, English and French. So once in a while the keyboard will just change input on its own. Not kidding. i just start my browser to type something in a forum or facebook whatever and the layout changes from one to the other. Windows...
  8. Keyboard layout

in Windows 10 Support
    Keyboard layout: Hello, I have Windows 10 with English interface language and German keyboard layout (ENG-DE). Periodically the ENG-US keyboard is added (The language bar appears again), even if the US layout it is not listed in the language options (???) At this time I have to add...
  9. Unwanted keyboard layouts I can't delete

in Windows 10 Support
    Unwanted keyboard layouts I can't delete: Since the update to W10 creator edition I have two extra keyboard layouts available to me which I do not want, but I can't get rid of. Before, I had two languages -- UK English and Belgian French -- with the US International AltGr Deadkeys (installed from a third party)...
  10. Windows 10 constantly and insanely switches to another keyboard layout

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 constantly and insanely switches to another keyboard layout: Hello. I've been having a weird issue for the last two days with Windows 10 10586.17. Normally I use the Spanish - Latin American keyboard layout besides the English - US one. Windows recently decided to add Spanish - Spanish (which is really different from the other one) and...