Windows 10: Set Default Keyboard Layout in Windows 10

Discus and support Set Default Keyboard Layout in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Set Default Keyboard Input Language in Windows 10 How to Set Default Keyboard Input Language in Windows 10 In Windows, you can configure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by oneLess, Jan 22, 2018.

1. oneLess Win User

Set Default Keyboard Layout in Windows 10

How to: Set Default Keyboard Input Language in Windows 10

How to Set Default Keyboard Input Language in Windows 10

In Windows, you can configure your keyboard to use a different keyboard layout or input method to type in another language.

The language of your keyboard layout controls the characters that appear on your screen when you type. By using the different layouts, you can type all the characters for the language, including diacritics such as the umlaut () in German and the tilde () in Spanish.

If you have more than one added keyboard layout, you can set one to be the default.

Starting with Windows 10 build 17063, Microsoft has updated the Keyboard Settings experience under the Time & Language Settings page to make it easier to use, and removed these settings from the Control Panel.

Starting with Windows 10 build 17083, Microsoft made the decision to remove the recently added Keyboard Settings page under Settings > Time & Language and will consider returning it in a future release. If youd like to add another keyboard to your language, you can do this as before from the Region & Language Settings page by selecting the language you wish to add to. Advanced keyboard settings (including overriding your default keyboard and emoji panel settings) are still available the link to this page has been moved to Settings > Devices > Typing.

This tutorial will show you how to set a default keyboard layout (input language) for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Set Default Keyboard Input Language in Settings
    • Option Two: Set Default Keyboard Input Language from Language List in Settings
    • Option Three: Set Default Keyboard Input Language in PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] Set Default Keyboard Input Language in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Devices icon.

2. Click/tap on Typing on the left side, and click/tap on the Advanced keyboard settings link on the right side under More keyboard settings. (see screenshot below)

Set Default Keyboard Layout in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Select the keyboard layout you want as default in the Override for default input method drop menu. (see screenshot below)

*note Use language list is to use the default keyboard layout for the language at the top of your language list.

4. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Set Default Keyboard Input Language from Language List in Settings

*note This option will only work if you have selected Use language list in Option One.
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Time & Language icon.

2. Click/tap on Language on the left side, and perform either action below. (see screenshots below)
    A) Under Preferred languages on the right side, click/tap on the added language (ex: "English (United States)") you want to set as the default app language (input language), and click/tap on the up arrow button until the language (ex: "English (United States)") is at the top of the language list.

OR

B) Under Preferred languages on the right side, drag and drop the added language (ex: "English (United States)") you want to set as the default app language (input language) to the top of the language list.

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Set Default Keyboard Input Language in PowerShell

*note This option will only work if you have selected Use language list in Option One.
    1. Open PowerShell.

2. Type the command below into PowerShell, and press Enter. Make note of each LanguageTag (ex: "en-US" and "en-GB") for your added languages. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Get-WinUserLanguageList

3. Type the command below into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Set-WinUserLanguageList -LanguageList LanguageTag1, LanguageTag2, etc... -Force

*note Substitute LanguageTag1, LanguageTag2, etc... in the command above for each LanguageTag (ex: "en-US" and "en-GB") from step 2 above for your added keyboard layouts.

The LanguageTag (ex: "en-US") you use for LanguageTag1 in the command will be set as your default keyboard layout.

For example: Set-WinUserLanguageList -LanguageList en-US, en-GB -Force

*Warning Any LanguageTag (ex: "en-US" and "en-GB") from step 2 above not included in this command will cause that keyboard layout to be removed.

4. You can now close PowerShell if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

oneLess, Jan 22, 2018
  2. Koyakun Win User

Keyboard layout switches to non-default layout/language after resume from sleep

Background:

I use a Japanese USB keyboard with a US laptop with the display language set to US English. I frequently need to switch between English and Japanese as well as Spanish. I also need to be able to switch to a US keyboard layout when I use the laptop without
    the USB keyboard.

Problem:

Even though the default input method is correctly set to the Japanese Microsoft IME keyboard using the override setting, it switches to a US keyboard layout after resume from sleep. Any time I resume from sleep and forget to manually restore the keyboard
    layout to Japanese, I have to erase whatever I just typed incorrectly because of the different layout, switch keyboard layouts, and retype.

Question:

Why does Windows 10 automatically switch to a non-default keyboard after resume from sleep? What can be done to fix this?

Specs/settings:

Computer: Dell Inspiron N4110 Laptop

Windows display language: English (US) (override setting)

Default input method: Japanese keyboard (Microsoft IME) on Japanese USB keyboard (override setting)

Additional input methods: US; US-International

Koyakun, Jan 22, 2018
  3. AnutaraT Win User
    Thai virtual keyboard layout on Windows 10 is not a correct layout in the way it should be.

Thai virtual keyboard layout on Windows 10 is not a correct layout in the way it should be. We need at least 5 rows on the layout as it appears on any smartphone devices. The default virtual keyboard has only 4 rows which is not enough for the way standard
    Thai keyboard should be displayed.

I think Microsoft already have the knowledge of Thai keyboard for decades. It may be me that don't know how to set it up correctly. Please advice me.

Anutara

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings

AnutaraT, Jan 22, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you @oneLess. I have added that as Option Two in the tutorial. *Smile

Brink, Jan 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Set Default Keyboard Layout in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Set Default Keyboard

2. How to set the default keyboard layout?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set the default keyboard layout?: HiI'm facing this issue with Windows 11 only, because there is no priority option for the keyboard layout.I have installed 3 languages on my laptop, English, Arabic, and German, but I couldn't set the default keyboard layout. The keyboard language is changing automatically, I...
  3. How to set the default keyboard layout?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set the default keyboard layout?: HiI'm facing this issue with Windows 11 only, because there is no priority option for the keyboard layout.I have installed 3 languages on my laptop, English, Arabic, and German, but I couldn't set the default keyboard layout. The keyboard language is changing automatically, I...
  4. Language/keyboard layout not in settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Language/keyboard layout not in settings: Hi, I just got a new Win10 laptop (which I looooove btw) and there appears to be an unwanted keyboard layout skulking about. When I click the language tile (next to date/time) or use the Win + space shortcut, 3 languages are listed: English UK, German, and, unwantedly,...
  5. Remove keyboard layout setting.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove keyboard layout setting.: I have my PC set on English UK, because for fixing stuff it's always more useful to have all the settings in English, easier to troubleshoot. My keyboard is the German layout, though. I have also installed the IME Japanese keyboard so I can write in kana. Now, my issue is,...
  6. Windows 10 keeps re-adding default keyboard layouts

Windows 10 keeps re-adding default keyboard layouts: It's 2019, and the issue I've been reading about and experiencing for years is STILL THERE. I use English and Russian keyboards. For both of them I use special custom typography layouts by Ilya Birman, which allow entering various special characters by using right Alt key....
  7. Problems setting default keyboard layout in Win 10, v 1803

Problems setting default keyboard layout in Win 10, v 1803: English (Untied States) Settings Keyboards + Add a keyboard US QUERTY Hans QUERTY Remove button --------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am in the screen above (Region & Language, Options), in Windows 10,...
  8. Keyboard Settings/Layout

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard Settings/Layout: My keyboard layout has been changed after using a new computer. " and @ has switched places and my hex has turned into £. Is there a way to fix this problem? Thank you. 53110
  9. Set Default Start Layout for Users in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Default Start Layout for Users in Windows 10: How to: Set Default Start Layout for Users in Windows 10 How to Set Default Start Layout for Users in Windows 10 The Live Folders. If you like, you can specify a default Start layout in Windows 10 for users and prevent them from changing it. *note This policy...
  10. Win 10 Default Keyboard Layout

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Default Keyboard Layout: Hi, Any win 10 machine at the office has their keyboard layout defaulted to US. I know how to change the Default to Uk layout, however it only makes those changes for the user logged in at that moment, if another person logs into the same computer, it is Defaulted back to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 default keyboard layout set

2. windows 10 1803 add input method IME cmd