Windows 10: Re-Installation Question - Free Upgade from Win7 - No Media

Discus and support Re-Installation Question - Free Upgade from Win7 - No Media in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I have Windows 10 Pro Ver. 1909 It was a free upgrade from Microsoft over my previous Windows 7 Ultimate. I have no physical copy of Windows 10,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Nyarlathotep, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Re-Installation Question - Free Upgade from Win7 - No Media

So I have Windows 10 Pro Ver. 1909

It was a free upgrade from Microsoft over my previous Windows 7 Ultimate.

I have no physical copy of Windows 10, nor any installation media other then some "upgrade" files that were downloaded from Microsoft to my USB Stick.

So.. I have no actual Windows 10 activation key.. other then the original Key that came with my physical copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.

Anyway.

My current rig is an i5-4690K with 32GB DDR3-1600 and an AMD Radeon RX 580 video card.

I am considering upgrading to a Ryzen 7 - 3700X w/ 32GB DDR4-3600... and keeping the RX 580 for now.

I think wiping my main SSD and doing a fresh clean install of Windows would obviously be best for this upgrade...

But I'm not sure how I would go about doing this as I don't actually have any physical copy of Windows 10... other then the "upgrade" files that are still on my USB Stick...

Would I have to first reinstall my original Win7 Ultimate, and then RE-Upgrade that to 10 Pro?

Or will/does Microsoft offer some way to auto-detect that I have a legit copy of 10 from them, and thus provide some way to download a full fresh copy to download to my USB stick and reinstall clean to a wiped SSD?

:)

Nyarlathotep, Feb 13, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

3. wma files will not play in window media play since I upgaded to window 10.

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you, for the late response.

I'd be glad to help you.

I would suggest you to follow these methods, provided below, to fix your issue:

Method 1:

Let's try to run the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter and check, if the issue persists.

Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter:

a. Press “Windows key” on your keyboard.

b. Type Troubleshooting and click Troubleshooting under Settings.

c. Now select Programs in the search option.

d. Under Media Player, select Windows Media Player Settings to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2:

If that doesn’t work, I would suggest you to uninstall, then re-install Windows Media Player and check, if this fixes the issue.

Let's try to follow these steps, mentioned below:

a. Press “Windows key”.

b. Type “Turn Windows Features on or off” without quotes in the search box and hit enter.

c. Expand “Media Features” option.

d. Un-check “Media Player”.

e. Restart the computer.

Follow these steps to re-install Windows Media Player:

a. Press “Windows key + W”.

b. Type “Turn Windows Features on or off” without quotes in the search box and hit enter.

c. Expand “Media Features” option.

d. Make a check mark next to “Media Player”.

e. Restart the computer.

Hope this information helps you. Kindly post back with the updated issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Feb 13, 2020
  4. Re-Installation Question - Free Upgade from Win7 - No Media

Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

Re-Installation Question - Free Upgade from Win7 - No Media

1. Re-Installation Question - Free Upgade from Win7 - No Media - Similar Threads - Installation Question Free

2. Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?: I bought Win7 in 2009 and got a product key. I was under the impression I could use that to upgrade to Win 10. The laptop I had at the time is long gone. The next laptop came with an OEM Win 10. Now I am about to buy a new one. I'd like to save a some money and buy it without...
  3. Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?: I bought Win7 in 2009 and got a product key. I was under the impression I could use that to upgrade to Win 10. The laptop I had at the time is long gone. The next laptop came with an OEM Win 10. Now I am about to buy a new one. I'd like to save a some money and buy it without...
  4. Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Clean re-install of Win10 question re activation

Clean re-install of Win10 question re activation: I'm upgrading a friend's laptops (yes a Celeron!!! & a 2nd Gen i5, lucky me) from HDD to SSD, increasing memory and reinstalling Win10 using a W10 USB drive that I'd done a year ago using MS MCT. So my first question is During the installation process I presume I skip the...
  6. Windows Re-install question

Windows Re-install question: OK, in the next couple of days. I'm going to upgrade my mom's pc to some newer hardware. When I first built her pc and installed windows 10, it was through the free windows 7 upgrade. Now i made her pc on a local account and not a microsoft one. Am I able to keep her account...
  7. Re-install Win10 on a free upgrade from Win7 computer with crashed Harddrive

Re-install Win10 on a free upgrade from Win7 computer with crashed Harddrive: My hard drive crashed, and I need to reinstall Windows on a new hard drive. I've got a Win7 license and used the free upgrade to Win10. Is it possible to reinstall? I'm uncertain about the process: Should I download Win7 with another computer? if so, where? ..and then put...
  8. Correction re Media Player Question

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Correction re Media Player Question: Correction: I'm running 32-bit version of Media Player (Windows 10) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/correction-re-media-player-question/d0c36cd0-81b3-4cc2-9be2-d916af19e63f
  9. A Quick Win7 question.

A Quick Win7 question.: Yeah, I know I probably should post this in Sevenforums but...…. lol, I've forgotten my password for it and never go there anymore, plus I know a lot of you still use it if only in a VM. So...… My brother in law is installing 7 on a new machine he's building for a friend....
  10. Unable to create installation from media creation tool on Win7

Unable to create installation from media creation tool on Win7: I am currently running Win7 Ultimate service pack 1 and am trying to create an installation of Win10 on a flash drive before I replace some parts inside my PC that will require an OS refresh. Unfortunately I am stuck at this screen. [img] I am sure my OS version is...