Windows 10: Reboot after Windows Update vs Shutdown and restart

Discus and support Reboot after Windows Update vs Shutdown and restart in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Has anyone else noticed that after an update from Windows Update you "Must" do a Reboot for the installation/update to process. In prior versions of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by larryk, Aug 30, 2015.

1. larryk Win User

Reboot after Windows Update vs Shutdown and restart

Has anyone else noticed that after an update from Windows Update you "Must" do a Reboot for the installation/update to process. In prior versions of Windows when I would take an update, I might just wait until I shut the PC down for the night, and it would finish up in the morning upon startup. In Windows 10 that no longer works (for me) it MUST be a Reboot for it to process...

:)

larryk, Aug 30, 2015

2. Windows 10 computer stuck on updates while restarting

my windows 10 computer was restarting after being rebooted and for the last six hours if says, "Working on updates 100% complete, Do not shutdown computer

Buzz Galbraith, Aug 30, 2015
  3. xp23 Win User
    Apps reopening on start up after shutdown/restart

This has to be a joke! FFS Microsoft... Stop forcing this nonsense on your paying customers. Now when I power on my PC and walk away while it boots, it starts playing youtube videos before I've even LOGGED IN!

4. jds63 Win User

jds63, Aug 30, 2015
  5. larryk Win User
    I know about that, I am just stating that it no longer installs the updates that it has already downloaded on a shutdown and restart, it seems that it MUST be a "Reboot"

larryk, Aug 30, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    Reboot, what do you exactly mean by that ? reboot is a restart. It already installed it after it downloaded it, a restart just configures it.

jds63, Aug 30, 2015
  7. They do for me. Several times I've hit my shutdown shortcut and got the "do not turn off your PC etc" message. Then the updates are done and it shuts down. On the next power up, "if more updating is required" they complete.

alphanumeric, Aug 30, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

I think perhaps that is because you have fast startup disabled?

9. jds63 Win User
    I have not noticed in Windows 10 at start button, but it was the way in Windows 8.1 "shutdown and update or "Restart and update" .

jds63, Aug 30, 2015
  10. I do have Fast Startup disabled. I wasn't aware it was a factor.

alphanumeric, Aug 30, 2015
  11. jds63 Win User
    Hey, i learned something today, if this is a fact. Fast startup is along with hibernate.

jds63, Aug 30, 2015
  12. Fast Startup puts the PC into a hybrid sleep mode on shutdown.

alphanumeric, Aug 31, 2015
  13. lx07 Win User

Indeed. If you have hybrid sleep you aren't really shutting down. You are storing some state of the OS so it can resume quicker (and so not all locks on objects are released and they can't be replaced).

If you restart then you do actually fully shutdown. This means the locks on objects are released and they can be replaced by the new ones that came with your update. It was the same in 8 iirc (I wouldn't swear to it though, I can't really remember)

14. larryk Win User
    I have Fast Startup turned on, I'll change it and see what it does on the next update.

larryk, Aug 31, 2015
  15. lx07 Win User
    I just took shutdown (not restart) option on a PC with powercfg -h off set and some cumulative update to apply.

It has the "Working on updates, do not turn off your computer" message so I guess that is indeed the reason.

Thema:

1. Reboot after Windows Update vs Shutdown and restart - Similar Threads - Reboot Update Shutdown

2. Shutdown/start vs restart...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shutdown/start vs restart...: what is the disparity in time duration for a shutdown/wait 20 sec./restarting @ 45 seconds, and restarting via WinKey+X/U/R @ 2 mins & 20+ secs In both cases no apps opened, of course. Clean slate and includes login....
  3. Shutdown/start vs restart...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shutdown/start vs restart...: what is the disparity in time duration for a shutdown/wait 20 sec./restarting @ 45 seconds, and restarting via WinKey+X/U/R @ 2 mins & 20+ secs In both cases no apps opened, of course. Clean slate and includes login....
  4. Shutdown/start vs restart...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows Update restart vs. shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update restart vs. shutdown: Every week or so, Microsoft wants me to update my Surface book 3 with the latest windows update. Fine, i get that. What i do not understand is it can somehow only install on a restart. When i click start , power, it shows 'update and restart', but not update and shutdown...
  6. About system errors on Shutdown vs. Restart

in Windows 10 Support
    About system errors on Shutdown vs. Restart: On shutdown then power button machine boots with very, very few errors. On restart for example after installing a major Windows 10 updatethere are multiple errors in computer management including the continually bedeviling DCOM errors. Windows 10 completely upgraded to latest...
  7. Windows 10 reboots after shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 reboots after shutdown: Hello, Just after the recent update my laptop started rebooting after I shut it down, or put it to sleep. Which is not very helpful. Have taken to unplugging it and closing the lid so the battery dies. I have read about this happening since about 2017 for others and there...
  8. Windows restarts after shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows restarts after shutdown: For the past month every time I try to shut down my computer the whole device restarts about 20 seconds later. I have no idea why this might be happening but the only way I've thus far found of preventing it is to press the power button until the device turns off again as...
  9. Soft Reboot vs Hard Reboot vs Restart vs Reset explained

in Windows 10 News
    Soft Reboot vs Hard Reboot vs Restart vs Reset explained: [ATTACH]I am sure you have heard about all these terms if you are using a Windows PC, or even a phone. While they might sound […] This article Soft Reboot vs Hard Reboot vs Restart vs Reset explained first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  10. Restart after Shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Restart after Shutdown: This is a question I've asked before. My PC often restarts even though I have powered off with Shutdown. The System settings for Shutdown and Restart are set correctly....