Windows 10: Recent windows update kills my named share shortcuts - Help/suggestion

Discus and support Recent windows update kills my named share shortcuts - Help/suggestion in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My current Windows 10 version (v1709 16299.248) causes all of my shortcuts that have a named share (ie: \\server\sharename) to stop working, period. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by marklyn, Feb 15, 2018.

1. marklyn Win User

Recent windows update kills my named share shortcuts - Help/suggestion

My current Windows 10 version (v1709 16299.248) causes all of my shortcuts that have a named share (ie: \\server\sharename) to stop working, period. I can re-do my shares to an ip based address, but there are a LOT of them and I'd like to find out what, in this update caused this.
    My previous version before this update was v1709 16229.64 and if I do a system restore back to that version/build then all of my existing shares work as expected. I am certain it is something in this build because I've tested using the system restore many times and each time I restore back to the .64 build my shares work (until Windows 10 auto updates, which is always within 24 hours). I even looked at the files involved (mostly drivers) in restoring back to the .64 version and there are about 50+ with no clue as to which one is causing me this issue. If I could isolate the particular driver file I might be able to replace the newer version with one that still lets me get to my shares without having to change them to IP based.
    I've even tried disabling Windows update through several methods found on the net but none of them work.
    I would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas on what I can do to resolve this without having to re-do all of my shares.
    If it helps, the shares all point to my QNAP NAS server name and then to shares/files/folder shares from there.

:)

marklyn, Feb 15, 2018

2. After Windows update no shortcuts or file associations work

Thank you for the reply! I didn't have the time to wait for it, though, as I need my computer for work, and I needed to solve these problems immediately. I manually reassociated all shortcuts and filetypes. It added half a day to my being unable to work
    due to the update, but I guess if I had waited for these suggestions it would have been at least two and a half days killed by the update.

I will hold onto these instructions in case future updates also kill shortcuts and associations.

Clearly a failure to update was not the problem, but I suppose you deal with all these issues with a cut and paste.

Thanks for the response. Perhaps it will be helpful in the future.

Of course, it would be better if updates did not corrupt system files or do things that result in broken associations. It's unlikely that I started with corrupt files, because other issues have required me to run sfscan and dism scan recently - suggested
    by MS as a way to solve a problem I was having where Windows Explorer quit a few times an hour. (The scans did not help, but turning off Windows Error reporting, at least the part that sends MS information, ended the problem.)

AbbyManheim, Feb 15, 2018
  3. Can/will Cortana Close Applications

RBAHOT's suggestion works. However it is much simpler than that if you use the taskkill command.

To create these simple shortcuts do the following:

• Open Notepad.
    • Type: taskkill /IM Calculator.exe /F
    • Save as type: All Files (*.*), Name it "Kill_Calculator.bat"
    • Open Explore and navigate to C:\Users\[yourname]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ and create a folder called Cortana
    • Create Short Cut of Kill_Calculator.bat on the Start Menu By RIGHT Drag and select "Create Shortcut here" in the new Cortana Folder.
    • Rename the short cut by simply erasing the ".bat shortcut" part of the name. (or what ever you want to call it)

"Hay Cortana, Open Kill Calculator" ...

'Sure Opening Kill Calculator'

NOTES:

Taskkill /IM [name of program] /f - [name of program] can be easily obtained by

• opening the program.
    • Then open Task Manager (right click task bar> left click Task manager),
    • find the program and right click > Go to details. It should take you directly to the program and the name there is what you need. For example, Paint is called mspaint.

Naming is tricky. For example Kill Paint will give you Kilz paint - a web search

Kill mspaint works.

Cortana some times hears kill as Q. Choose names for the SHORTCUT that works for you. In any case the simple .bat file using taskkill will give you any close file you want.

EDIT:

Be aware that for some reason Cortana takes a minute maybe even 5+ to recognize the short cut. But after some time she will stop searching the internet and start opening the shortcut.

qaz1qaz1qa, Feb 15, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Thema:

1. Recent windows update kills my named share shortcuts - Help/suggestion - Similar Threads - Recent update kills

2. Sharing a Taskbar Suggestion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sharing a Taskbar Suggestion: Certainly, things are subjective but maybe I am not the only one who finds or may find this appealing. I find the default taskbar detracts from the nice wallpapers or photos on my desktops.I like having a taskbar that its colour follows that of a particular or specific...
  3. Sharing a Taskbar Suggestion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sharing a Taskbar Suggestion: Certainly, things are subjective but maybe I am not the only one who finds or may find this appealing. I find the default taskbar detracts from the nice wallpapers or photos on my desktops.I like having a taskbar that its colour follows that of a particular or specific...
  4. Windows Share to suggest Sharing Services in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Share to suggest Sharing Services in Windows 11: Windows Share will soon suggest sharing services in Windows 11 that are not installed. Microsoft introduced the new feature in beta builds of Windows 11. Windows Share is the native share feature of the Windows operating system. It works similarly to share services on mobile...
  5. Windows 10 Update Killed my Audio - Help ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Update Killed my Audio - Help ?: Newest windows 10 update killed my speakers/microphone Rolling back to a previous install is not an option , as I will lose too much info/software changes.I've tried manually updating drivers through Device Manager, I've downloaded drivers from Toshiba, Intel and gone back...
  6. Windows update killed my sound. I've tried everything suggested and cannot get my sound to...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows update killed my sound. I've tried everything suggested and cannot get my sound to...: After the latest update on March 17th my audio doesn't work. I've tried all suggested fixes, nothing works. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-killed-my-sound-ive-tried/12552ece-1426-487c-b4bd-a5636a3be809
  7. Windows 10 recent update killed my pc, microsoft wont help me

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 recent update killed my pc, microsoft wont help me: Ok so, a few weeks back there was a Windows update. Upon receiving this update, it installing; the computer did its normal thing once it is finished it restarts itself and boots back up running the newly updated version of Windows. Well when doing so the pc made it to the...
  8. Recent Update Killed My Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recent Update Killed My Laptop: Hello, As with many other, the recent update has killed my laptop with Windows updated recently. Here is all I get after the update: I start my computer up. I get the black screen with the spinning circle for a period of time that is way longer than it should be. My...
  9. Recent Update Killed My Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recent Update Killed My Laptop: Hello, As with many other, the recent update has killed my laptop with Windows updated recently. Here is all I get after the update: I start my computer up. I get the black screen with the spinning circle for a period of time that is way longer than it should be. My...
  10. Most Recent Windows 10 Update Killed Sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Most Recent Windows 10 Update Killed Sound: Hello all. I am running Windows 10 on a desktop PC. I downloaded the free update many weeks ago and it's been running very smoothly until recently. Yesterday, Windows 10 downloaded and installed a new update, after which my PC began running much slower on start-up, and my...