Windows 10: Recover User files from a previous computer hard drive

Discus and support Recover User files from a previous computer hard drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I did a search for answers to my problem and didn’t find what I needed. I apologize in advance, but I am desperate to recover my data. Sorry for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by psheadl, Dec 8, 2017.

1. psheadl Win User

Recover User files from a previous computer hard drive

I did a search for answers to my problem and didn’t find what I needed. I apologize in advance, but I am desperate to recover my data. Sorry for the long post but here is the history leading to my problem. Recently MS did an update to my Windows 10 (believe 1703?). After that I found out the graphics card driver wasn’t supported, and my resolution was fixed 1280X1024. I purchased a new graphics card and the screen resolution was fine. A few days later It started getting the “blue screen” crash and automatic boot. The crashes became more frequent, so I returned the graphics card and replaced with a new one. That didn’t fix the crash issue and the crashes became more frequent with boot time increasing with each crash. Eventually the computer refused to boot and just locked up. I removed the hard drive and bought a new Dell XPS 8930. I have an external USB hard drive reader and I wanted to get my user files off the hard drive. The drive shows “system reserved” I assigned a drive letter and checked the “view hidden files” option. It only shows some system files. I checked the disk partition and there are two partitions. I am a total novice and would like some help in recovering my user files to put on my new computer. Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

psheadl, Dec 8, 2017

2. How to tell which drivers to remove? blue screen "of moderate frustration" comes up saying an error occurred and has the restart

Oh and I had a sshd installed about 6-9 months ago with the W10 image. All my files were recovered from my previous hard drive but a local computer shop

CurtCullen, Dec 8, 2017
  3. Win 10 Crash and cannot be auto-repaired - how can I transfer the profile and data to the new drive?

If the system crash, then user profile might be corrupt. I recommend you use the following method to recover your files:

How to Recover Data from a Hard Drive that Won't Boot - groovyPost

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/recover-data-n...

Andre Da Costa, Dec 8, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2017
  5. psheadl Win User
    Recover User files from a previous computer hard drive [​IMG]

Thanks, here is the screen shot
    Recover User files from a previous computer hard drive [​IMG]

psheadl, Dec 8, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    Samuria, Dec 8, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Something deleted all the other partitions on the drive. You might be able to restore the deleted partitions on the drive using software designed to do that.

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

Download and install: https://www.partitionwizard.com/free...-manager.htmll
    Post an image into the thread.

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    bcdedit | find "osdevice"
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0
    list volume
    list partition
    exit
    When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

zbook, Dec 8, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Why?

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2017
  10. zbook New Member
    Wondering what happened to the partitions

zbook, Dec 8, 2017
  11. RolandJS Win User
    I might be too late, until that desired partition is recovered, I highly recommend using tools and utilities existing on booted USB and/or DVD devices. Others will correct me if I'm wrong and give you better advice *Smile

RolandJS, Dec 9, 2017
  12. psheadl Win User
    Thanks everyone for your help. I purchased the recommended Partition Recovery Professional 16 and was able to recover my files. I am not a wiz at this however you people really helped me get through this.

psheadl, Dec 9, 2017
  13. zbook New Member

What else was done with OS or software that might have caused the lost of the partitions?
    Glad you got it fixed.
    Please post images of disk management (widen each volume and status columns) and Minitool partition wizard.
    Please run the DM log collector so that the logs can be troubleshooted:
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums
    Post a zip into the thread.

zbook, Dec 9, 2017
  14. RolandJS Win User
    "...Partition Recovery Professional 16..." -- pshead
    From EaseUS or from...? I want to bookmark that web site *Smile

RolandJS, Dec 10, 2017
  15. SIW2 Win User
Thema:

1. Recover User files from a previous computer hard drive - Similar Threads - Recover User files

2. How to access desktop files from a previous hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to access desktop files from a previous hard drive: I recently switched hard drives due to some unrelated issues with a cpu/motherboard. I had to do a fresh install of windows, and I am now running it through a different drive My C drive is now a different drive. My old drive F drive currently is still installed, and has all...
  3. How to access desktop files from a previous hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to access desktop files from a previous hard drive: I recently switched hard drives due to some unrelated issues with a cpu/motherboard. I had to do a fresh install of windows, and I am now running it through a different drive My C drive is now a different drive. My old drive F drive currently is still installed, and has all...
  4. How to access desktop files from a previous hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Recovering user files from old hard drive from dead PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovering user files from old hard drive from dead PC: I had an all-in-one PC that died about a year ago and have just managed to get my hands on a hard drive caddy to try and recover the files that I had on the old PC's HDD. However, when I go into the disk I cannot access the files - when I try to go into my old user profile on...
  6. Recovering games from hard drives

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Recovering games from hard drives: So ive just reinstalled windows 10 on my SSD boot drive. I had all my games from the xboxbeta app on another internal hard drive but when i reinstalled the app all my games were gone and i could not find them. how would i recover my games from these hard drives so i dont have...
  7. Can't access "user" files on hard drive from previous computer

Can't access "user" files on hard drive from previous computer: I had a laptop with windows 10, motherboard issues. Got a new laptop with windows 10. I used USB to SATA cable to attach to old hard drive. I can see folders in old hard drive and could move some data. Can't access "users" data. I have tried giving permissions, sharing...
  8. Recovering files from a backup on an external hard drive

Recovering files from a backup on an external hard drive: Hi there. Since my desk top PC, running Windows 10, started misbehaving a couple of years ago I've been using a laptop for day to day work. I've given up on the old desktop and now want to recover various files - music, photos and Office documents from the 1TB WD Elements...
  9. How to *RECOVER* DELETED files from hard-drive

How to *RECOVER* DELETED files from hard-drive: Hi all, Accidentally ran the following command prompt, the purge switch seems removed all my files a level up on folder, robocopy D:\X-folder G:\Y-folder\ /s /purge /xj /np /tee /r:0 /w:0 /mt:32 /xf desktop.ini /log:logbkup_x240_downloads.txt Any suggestion for recovery...
  10. How to access user files from previous computer's backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to access user files from previous computer's backup: Hello All, Now that I'm on Windows 10 I found I have the need to access user files from an old backup when this machine was Windows 7. The Macrium backup gives me everything I need with the exception of the ability to view/access my prior user files. Can someone point me...