Windows 10: Recovery USB---what else do I need? Win 10

Discus and support Recovery USB---what else do I need? Win 10 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Running Windows 10. Almost had a disaster last night. Blue screen indicating something like, "your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart." NTFS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by fishrman, Nov 13, 2019.

1. fishrman Win User

Recovery USB---what else do I need? Win 10

Running Windows 10. Almost had a disaster last night. Blue screen indicating something like, "your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart." NTFS filesystem. Then got this over and over along with "Preparing automatic Repair". "Start up Repair" (didn't work). I couldn't get my Recovery USB to do much of anything and think I have discovered that when I made it, I didn't do it properly. Long story short, I finally was able to find a place to enter a DOS command that repaired it so I could boot back into Windows 10. Can't remember exactly what it was but found it researching the problem with my laptop. CHKDSK something.
    Now, all the above happened while I was trying to do the opposite. I was trying to install a Seagate backup drive to prevent these kinds of issues. I couldn't get the Seagate program for backup to run. It would stall out while starting to backup. Same issue with the built in backup program that Windows 10 has. The problem started when I then ran System Mechanic in hopes of resolving the issue not letting me run the backup programs and when the Dell XPS desktop rebooted, I got the blue screen with the error. Needless to say, I really don't want this happening again. I have figured out how to make the Recovery USB and while doing that, I saw something about making a system restore cd. Is that something that I need to do or is that built into the recovery usb? Also, is there a backup program that is easy to use for someone that isn't very good with understanding backups? Thanks for any help.

:)

fishrman, Nov 13, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

Windows 10 recovery USB - which size???

Not even that. What creating a recovery drive does (if you select 'include system files') is to construct the files required to clean install Windows. If this is made on an OEM install these file will include the OEM custom apps and drivers - effectively a 'factory reset' drive. It is extracting an install image from your existing system files that takes the time.

The steps in making a recovery drive are shown in this tutorial...

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 | Tutorials

• first you choose whether or not to include system files (step 5 in tutorial)
    • next the recovery drive files are constructed (this can take a long time if you include system files)
    • only after that is complete will you be asked which usb to use (step 6 in tutorial). At this point you will be told how large a usb you need.

Without system files 512 Mb is sufficient. Including system files it will be just over 4GB.

At which step did you get the error? If you were not asked which usb to use then it was the construction of the system files that failed, nothing to do with what usb you had.

3. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Nov 13, 2019
  4. Recovery USB---what else do I need? Win 10

Win 10 recovery USB

Hi Alec,

A recovery drive can help you troubleshoot and resolve issues with your PC, even if it won’t start. To create one, all you need is a USB drive.

• From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive
      and then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice.
    • When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is selected and then select
      Next.
    • Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it, and then select Next
      > Create. A lot of files need to be copied to the recovery drive, so this might take a while.
    • When it’s done, you might see a Delete the recovery partition from your PC
      link on the final screen. If you want to free up drive space on your PC, select the link and then select
      Delete. If not, select
      Finish.

Let us know if the steps above worked for you.

Jennifer Bri, Nov 13, 2019
Thema:

Recovery USB---what else do I need? Win 10

1. Recovery USB---what else do I need? Win 10 - Similar Threads - Recovery USB else

2. Old laptop with win 7, have product key, what else do I need?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old laptop with win 7, have product key, what else do I need?: Hi all.I'm after replacing the hdd with an ssd in my main laptop and installing win 10 home using media creation tool, it was activated through my Hotmail account, it was all very straight forward.One of my old laptops running windows 7, hasn't been turned on in years. I'm...
  3. Old laptop with win 7, have product key, what else do I need?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old laptop with win 7, have product key, what else do I need?: Hi all.I'm after replacing the hdd with an ssd in my main laptop and installing win 10 home using media creation tool, it was activated through my Hotmail account, it was all very straight forward.One of my old laptops running windows 7, hasn't been turned on in years. I'm...
  4. What else do I need for my first build?

in Windows 10 Support
    What else do I need for my first build?: First time builder. First time Windows user. First into the fire... All of my components have been ordered and several have arrived. (I'll admit, I'm starting to get excited). I'm also getting nervous. I'm trying to round-up all of the little fiddly-bits I'll need for the...
  5. Bitlocker: for what do I need the recovery key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker: for what do I need the recovery key?: So, yesterday I fully encrypted one of my external hard drive. First time. I set a password for it and it made the whole process (multiple hours). Now, I have a txt file on my desktop which is called "bitlocker-recocerykey" and I'm wondering for that this is needed. I already...
  6. What's the difference between a win 10 installation usb and a usb recovery drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What's the difference between a win 10 installation usb and a usb recovery drive: I just watch two videos on how to do it. But what is the difference. Don't they do basically the same thing. Which of the two is better? I want to get something on a usb stick just incase something bad happens in the future and i have a backup plan. submitted by...
  7. What type and size of disk do I need for Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What type and size of disk do I need for Win 10: I've just downloaded the Windows 10 ISO to my USB Port. I have a blue Ray and CD player, both are read/write. What type and size cd do I need to burn Win 10 on? Can I just use Media Player to do this?...
  8. Win 10 recovery disc - do I need one per win 10 computer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 recovery disc - do I need one per win 10 computer?: I wonder if I can share win 10 recover disc among a few win 10 home systems. Do I have to create one disc for each system? Thanks. 72474
  9. Win 10 recovery USB disk

Win 10 recovery USB disk: I am trying to create a recovery USB drive from which I can install Windows 10 fresh, if needed. Or quickly restore system images in case of a drive issue. There are a couple of things I am not clear about. Background: I have an ASUS laptop that came with Windows 8.1,...
  10. what is the new version number of win 10 do I need ??

what is the new version number of win 10 do I need ??: says .. You are up to date .. yet I have the not seen what I believe is the new creator version being available for me.. my current version is 1607 OS build 14393.1066 is this right? 81952

Users found this page by searching for:

1. where else do i win