Windows 10: Recycle Bin Status Bar doesn't always show total size

Discus and support Recycle Bin Status Bar doesn't always show total size in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Using Windows 10 Pro, version 1709. Normally, when you open the recycle bin & select several items, the status bar shows the number of items selected &... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by phrab, Mar 2, 2018.

1. phrab Win User

Recycle Bin Status Bar doesn't always show total size

Using Windows 10 Pro, version 1709. Normally, when you open the recycle bin & select several items, the status bar shows the number of items selected & the combined size. I discovered that if one or more of the items selected happens to be a file folder, the status bar stops showing the total size, but continues to show the total number of items selected. This is true whether the size of the folder is zero or not.

I performed the same test in Windows XP, & the total size continued to be shown.

Can anyone reproduce this?
    Is there a registry tweak that can change this?

Thanks,
    Phil

:)

phrab, Mar 2, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Recycle Bin – its size exceeds the set limits and stopped automatically deleting old files

Hi Oleg, a common mis-perception is setting the size of the Recycle Bin in Windows - it does not work the way it is supposed to . ..

The way it actually works is:

From that dialog, you set the size

Then any files that are deleted that are larger than that size will not be moved to the recycle bin - they will be deleted totally

Say you set the size of the recycle bin to 1GB, if you try to delete a file larger than 1GB, it will not be moved to the recycle bin, but you can separately delete 10 files of say 500MB and they will all go to the recycle bin

For some unknown reason, this is the way it works . . .

DaveM121, Mar 2, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Is it possible to be able to view the total current MB of files in my recyclable folder?

Select all the files/folders in your Recycle Bin (Ctrl + A), right click and select Properties, on the dialog it will show you the total in size . . .

I Hope this Helps!

DaveM121, Mar 2, 2018
  4. AndreTen Win User

It is showing folder sizes for me. But not in status bar. Don't think it's possible

AndreTen, Mar 4, 2018
  5. phrab Win User
    I can get individual folder sizes in the "size" column. Is that what you're saying? But you can't select everything in the recycle bin & get a total size of what's in the bin (unless you have no folders in the bin) the way you could in Windows XP. Wonder why they took that out. Wish there was a way to modify that.

phrab, Mar 4, 2018
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    @phrab

I did a test, and it does, in fact, include the size of the folder. I duped a folder onto my Desktop, then deleted it. just contains a bunch of icons ~33MB. The size of the folder is included in the total size as indicated at the bottom on status bar. So, it does work. Not sure why not for you, though.

Folder size:

Recycle Bin Status Bar doesn't always show total size [​IMG]

Total size:

P.S. - Don't have any items "Focused", or that will be the total you see.

f14tomcat, Mar 4, 2018
  7. AndreTen Win User
    TC, you have extra Status bar. I don't have that. Is this bar from any third party app? Classic shell perhaps?

AndreTen, Mar 4, 2018
  8. f14tomcat Win User

Change your view to tiles or something other than Details, and see what you get.

Oh, I see what you're saying. Might be QtTabbar

f14tomcat, Mar 4, 2018
  9. AndreTen Win User
    Did that already. I have only simple Status bar, yours (second, at bottom is more like Windows 7 Status bar...)

Maybe OldNewExplorer is solution, just don't know if it works in Recycle bin too *Think

AndreTen, Mar 4, 2018
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    Might be from Classic Shell. I'm so used to seeing it, I never took much notice.

f14tomcat, Mar 4, 2018
  11. AndreTen Win User
    Now phrab has something to test *Smile No solution with Explorer, but three optional applications to try.

AndreTen, Mar 4, 2018
  12. f14tomcat Win User
    f14tomcat, Mar 5, 2018
  13. AndreTen Win User

AndreTen, Mar 5, 2018
  14. phrab Win User
    1) Here's what I see in my recycle bin. In the first image, I selected the first 4 items & both the number & total size is shown because no folder is selected. In the second image, only the number of items are shown, because it includes selecting a deleted folder:

I also tried changing the view from details to other views, but the results were the same.
    2) I see that you have an additional "status bar", & someone suggested it was from Classic Shell. I have Classic Shell, but don't see any options to add a 2nd status bar to the recycle bin. Otherwise, the status bar from your recycle bin only lists the number of items selected...or am I missing something. My total size is right next to the # items selected & you have one on the right side & the word "Computer". So why is yours different?

phrab, Mar 5, 2018
  15. phrab Win User
    I updated Classic Shell to the latest version. Now my recycle bin shows the total size of selected items. Thank you both!!

phrab, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Recycle Bin Status Bar doesn't always show total size - Similar Threads - Recycle Bin Status

2. Recycle Bin doesn't respond

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recycle Bin doesn't respond: Hello. Last week I upgraded to Windows 11. This morning, for whatever reason, I can’t access the contents of my Recycle Bin. When I double click it, the window opens, the text “working on it” appears, and the blue wheel keeps spinning. No matter how long I wait it’s never...
  3. Recycle Bin doesn't respond

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recycle Bin doesn't respond: Hello. Last week I upgraded to Windows 11. This morning, for whatever reason, I can’t access the contents of my Recycle Bin. When I double click it, the window opens, the text “working on it” appears, and the blue wheel keeps spinning. No matter how long I wait it’s never...
  4. Set Recycle Bin size to default?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set Recycle Bin size to default?: 1 Windows 10. I understand how to make the Recycle Bin show or not show on the desktop, how to make files delete directly or not, and how to set the Recycle Bin size manually for each drive in its properties. But I see no way to return the recycle bin size to its *default...
  5. Recycle Bin always shows full

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Recycle Bin always shows full: I am on Windows Pro 64 [Version 10.0.18363.959]. Recently the Recycle Bin icon always shows full, even though I have just emptied the folder. Anyone else seeing this behavior? 162205
  6. Recycle Bin always shows full

in Windows 10 Support
    Recycle Bin always shows full: I am on Windows Pro 64 [Version 10.0.18363.959]. Recently the Recycle Bin icon always shows full, even though I have just emptied the folder. Anyone else seeing this behavior? 162205
  7. "Empty Recycle Bin" Is Always Greyed Out

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    "Empty Recycle Bin" Is Always Greyed Out: Hello, so I'm having a problem with my Recycle Bin (also known as the Recycle Binnary *chuckle). Every time I want to empty out the Recycle Binnary, I would right click on it, and press "Empty Recycle Bin" (refer to the image). But lately, that option is greyed out. (Before...
  8. Recycle Bin App doesn't work

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recycle Bin App doesn't work: Since I want to keep my Desktop clean with Rainmeter I have disabled the Recycle Bin Icon on the Desktop and am trying to use the App you get when you search for "Recycle Bin" in the Win10 Home Menu, but it does nothing. Any Ideas? submitted by /u/VoltexRB [link]...
  9. Size of Recycle Bin in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Size of Recycle Bin in OneDrive: what is the maximum size of a file able to be deleted and moved to the recycle bin in OneDrive (web versión)? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/size-of-recycle-in-onedrive/11b14817-b5e1-44f4-ae1c-2abbaa3f612c"
  10. Acer laptop shows recycle bin and lower tool bar

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Acer laptop shows recycle bin and lower tool bar: I have an Acer ASpire laptop which after updating to windows 10, the screen displays the recycle bin, the cursor, the lower toolbar, it cannot connect to internet and the sound icon has an "X" I pulled the battery to see if it would continue but to no avail but did get a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10recycle bin status bar