Windows 10: Refresh/reset Win10, stuck in boot loop

Discus and support Refresh/reset Win10, stuck in boot loop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Preface- this is a laptop of a computer illiterate friend. Knowing win10 had a built in tool to do a clean install, I offered to run it for her. Alas,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cakurt, Apr 4, 2017.

1. cakurt Win User

Refresh/reset Win10, stuck in boot loop

Preface- this is a laptop of a computer illiterate friend. Knowing win10 had a built in tool to do a clean install, I offered to run it for her. Alas, I am apparently not as literate as I'd like to think.

The computer in question is an Acer Cloudbook AO1-431-C8G8. It came with Windows 10 installed on it. 2GB DDR3 L memory, and eMMC 32GB hard drive space. (I am prepared to use it as a frisbee at this point.)

She had been locked out(someone else had put a password on it and did God knows what else to this thing), so I shift+restarted and opted to do a fresh install, delete all extraneous data, etc etc(as per her request- she didn't want to deal with whatever might have happened to it). The computer began jumping through the process, the display reads "Installing Windows, Your PC will restart several times. Sit back and relax." then it reads a percentage and below that is the configuration percentage.

It has gotten to 64-66%, hangs out there for awhile, then jumps to 86%, then 89%, then abruptly restarts, and goes right back to somewhere between 64 and 66%, and the cycle repeated. I'm not sure how to break the loop. Attempting to restart by holding down the power button turns off the display(it seems to actually turn off), then upon turning back on, continues this cycle.

I can get to the CMD prompt, but as I'm booting using the operating system on the computer itself, I'm not sure where to go from here. All the guides I have found seem to involve being able to get to the start menu, which obviously isn't available because I can't stop the boot loop, much less attempt to log in. Help?

:)

cakurt, Apr 4, 2017
  2. Linney Win User

Stuck at "Restoring your previous version of windows"

How To Fix The Windows Bootloader

How To Fix The Windows Bootloader - TweakHound

Fixing the Windows Bootloader via the setup DVD

Fixing the Windows Bootloader via the setup DVD

Stuck in a Automatic System Repair Loop on W

Windows 10 / 8 fails to boot; Automatic Repair, Refresh, Reset PC also fails

Windows 10 fails to boot; Automatic Repair, Refresh, Reset PC fails

Linney, Apr 4, 2017
  3. Linney Win User

Was Windows installed when you purchased this machine? If yes, then the whole purchase should be covered by Warranty.

See if any of these help you out?

How_to_recover_system_when_OS_cannot_login

https://www.msi.com/files/pdf/How_to_recover_system_when_OS_cannot_login.pdf

MSI FAQ

Support For Gaming 24GE 2QE | All-in-One PC - The most versatile consumer electronics | MSI Global

Have you been in contact with MSI Suport?

Centre d'enregistrement des membres et des produits

Concentrate on the more relevant MSI links above. What follows below are just general information links.

Windows 10 / 8 fails to boot; Automatic Repair, Refresh, Reset PC also fails

Windows 10 fails to boot; Automatic Repair, Refresh, Reset PC fails

Unable to refresh or reset PC after Automatic Repair fail

Solved - Unable to refresh or reset PC after Automatic Repair fail

Linney, Apr 4, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, it can be tricky sorting out someone else's PC.
    - I guess you mean a refresh or a reset. That's not the same thing as a clean install, which from the simplest point of view means taking a Win 10 bootable medium (DVD, flash drive), booting the PC from that, wiping system disk or partition, and installing Windows fresh from the external disk.

Now, I suggest you have two basic possible ways to proceed.

1. As this laptop came with Win 10, I assume it has a manufacturer's recovery partition on it. You can check with Acer's site as to how to use that. If you do, the laptop will be set up exactly as bought.

2. Download Win 10 and create a bootable USB drive or DVD.
    Boot the PC from it, make sure you delete any existing Win 10 partitions, and install Windows anew.

Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Clean Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Now, before all that, you might like to check the disk on the laptop - if it's faulty in any way, the above would be a waste of time. To do that you can download Kyhi's boot DVD/flash drive from the top of the Software and Apps section, and download and run Crystal Diskinfo (free) to check the disk. It gives a simple good/caution/bad indication.

Turning to data issues:
    - at this point it would still be possible to retrieve data from the disk if necessary. If not, carry on.
    - hopefully your friend has any license keys for installed programs separately recorded.

If you set up the user account to be the same, then any (purchased) store apps will be available.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2017
  5. cakurt Win User
    Ah! Okay! I've always heard that more or less used interchangeably. *Smile Learning new things. I'll give it a try, and return and report. Thank you!

cakurt, Apr 4, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Noted it's a tiny machine with just 32Gb disk... that's really really tiny.
    And as such, no DVD drive- so everything will have to be on a USB drive of one sort or another.

My comment about a manufacturer's recovery partition is likely to be irrelevant as the disk is so small.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Refresh/reset Win10, stuck in boot loop - Similar Threads - Refresh reset Win10

2. Stuck in boot loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in boot loop: I accidentally deleted some system files and to clear our some space in c drive but now when i am restarting it it wont start keeps saying that your pc ran into a problem .ive tried restarting resetting using cloud and resetting using local but nothing worked i have crucial...
  3. Stuck in boot loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck in boot loop: I have been stuck in a boot loop for a while now and can't find any helpful tips. When I turn on my computer I have 2 options to choose an operating system or the advanced options. There is continue, use a device, use another operating system, and turn off your pc. There is...
  4. Stuck in boot loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck in boot loop: I have been stuck in a boot loop for a while now and can't find any helpful tips. When I turn on my computer I have 2 options to choose an operating system or the advanced options. There is continue, use a device, use another operating system, and turn off your pc. There is...
  5. Stuck in a reset loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck in a reset loop: Hello. I was factory resetting my MSI laptop when the battery died and cut the computer off. When I turned it back on the msi logo pops up .loads the reset screen for a couple of seconds then starts that process all over again non stop....
  6. Laptop stuck in a boot loop because I tried and failed to refresh it

Laptop stuck in a boot loop because I tried and failed to refresh it: I tried to refresh my hp laptop, but it got stuck at 70% for more than an hour so I tried to turn it off not knowing better. When I tried to turn it back on it got stuck in an infinite boot loop of re-starts so I panicked and started looking for various videos on how to fix...
  7. Windows stuck in boot loop and cannot be reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows stuck in boot loop and cannot be reset: Hi all. I have an Asus Q504UA laptop that I keep updated and has been running fine until the other day. I noticed some slowness and saw there were two updates to install I didn't catch what they were but they appeared minor at the time so i restarted my machine to run them....
  8. Stuck in Boot Loop after Reset!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck in Boot Loop after Reset!: Hi guys, I own a Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 that i bought in March 2020. Today I decided to reset my PC as it was actually freezing on me a couple times. It went through the reset process smoothly but now its just stuck in a boot loop. The Microsoft logo appears, the loading...
  9. Stuck in boot loop

Stuck in boot loop: Hi, we just bought a brand new computer a week ago and on the first day having it when we went to turn it on it wouldn’t. The lights turn on then it immediately shuts off and it does that over and over again. Doesn’t even get far enough for the screen to turn on. But when we...
  10. Win10 stuck in endless boot loop

Win10 stuck in endless boot loop: Win10 Stuck in endless loop of boot up. Automatic Repair. I am having a windows 10 startup problem. from the command prompt I've used "bootrec /fixboot" but access is denied. Then i followed diskpart command DISKPART> select vol 1 Volume 1 is the selected volume....