Windows 10: .REG vs .BAT

Discus and support .REG vs .BAT in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Howdy, Strange behavior! I set the following 2 registry keys via both .reg and .bat file in Windows 10 to control System Protection. I don't care if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by omidsolo, Sep 1, 2015.

1. omidsolo Win User

.REG vs .BAT

Howdy,
    Strange behavior!
    I set the following 2 registry keys via both .reg and .bat file in Windows 10 to control System Protection.
    I don't care if they work or not and if this is the key to work on or not.
    .bat file works but .reg file not!
    Spent sometime and just confused, anyone have a clue?

=====
    .bat file
    =====
    'Turn off System Protection
    REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore" /v RPSessionInterval /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    'Set 1%
    REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore\cfg" /v DiskPercent /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

=====
    .reg file
    =====
    'Turn off System Protection
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore]
    RPSessionInterval=dword:00000000
    'Set 1%
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore\cfg]
    DiskPercent=dword:00000001

Why .reg file is not working as I must use the .reg file?
    Thanks.

:)

omidsolo, Sep 1, 2015

2. Advanced sizing of text ... gone with Creators Update ?!

I found this registry update:

Change Icons Text Size in Windows 10

I created a batch file based on the link above and it does what I need - resizing menu text, icon text, message box text, and title bar text. Here is the contents of the bat file:

set __COMPAT_LAYER=RunAsInvoker

REGEDIT.EXE /S "Icons_text_size-11.reg"

REGEDIT.EXE /S "Menus_text_size-11.reg"

REGEDIT.EXE /S "Message_Boxes_text_size-11.reg"

REGEDIT.EXE /S "Title_bars_text_size-11.reg"

pause

Alternatively you can download the batch file here:

ShareFile

After downloading it, anytime you need to resize text, double click the bat file , press any key when it is finished, and then logout and login

Grant Castner, Sep 1, 2015
  3. Icons Flashing after Windows 10 1511 Update

Hi.

I finally found the final and exact solution !

It's a problem with Microsoft Edge.

Microsoft Edge would like to be default application for the extentions :

- pdf

- html

- htm

- svg

- xml

But on some sessions on a computer with Windows 10 1511 on a domaine controller, it can't.

So the only solution is to delete the registry keys of theses extentions.

You can't use the "default application extention" options of the legacy control pannel, the new control panel, and the "open with" options.

I've create a .bat file to automatically delete all of theses extentions attributions :

reg delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.htm /f

reg delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.html /f

reg delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf /f

reg delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.svg /f

reg delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.xml /f

So please Microsoft, fix it with an update or a new build !

I must use this bat on an important number of computers in my company.

And this bug occurs on an aleatory number of computers in my company.

tnicolas02, Sep 1, 2015
  4. .REG vs .BAT

If you are at loss, just export the key from registry, maybe you have forgotten to add the top?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore]
    "RPSessionInterval"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore\cfg]
    "DiskPercent"=dword:00000001

TairikuOkami, Sep 1, 2015
Thema:

.REG vs .BAT

1. .REG vs .BAT - Similar Threads - REG BAT

2. Backing up Registry in Windows 10: Error message indicates failure, but .reg file is created

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Backing up Registry in Windows 10: Error message indicates failure, but .reg file is created: I tried to back up my Registry by export before adding an entry, but when I did so, I got an error message saying "cannot export ...... Error writing the file. There may be a disk or file system error." I tried three times with the same result. However, a .reg file was...
  3. How to copy/create a reg key to every user in hkey_current_user?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to copy/create a reg key to every user in hkey_current_user?: Hey Guys Does anyone know how I can create a reg key that only get installed once for every user in hkey_current user? I've heard I can create one in hklm and from there it can be copied to hcu ? Thanks. 132049
  4. Need Help for Windows settings/tweaking via Reg hacking & For NTLite

in Windows 10 Support
    Need Help for Windows settings/tweaking via Reg hacking & For NTLite: Hello everyone, firstly, am new here & this is my first post so if I violate any rules please let me know. I need some help regarding windows ISO customization via NTLite Now that the recent 19H1 ISO released, I've downloaded the EN UK x64 Consumer ISO & using latest NTLite...
  5. Reg Edit for run 3rd p AV?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Reg Edit for run 3rd p AV?: It's April 2019. Do I still need to run this registry edit in order to get a 3rd party AV to NOT run as a 'protected process'? https://www.windowscentral.com/how-k...g-third-party-antivirus-windows-10 Can't believe I get no search results on this. (Maybe due to the terms I...
  6. Is REGS UTILITIES Published By Microsoft?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is REGS UTILITIES Published By Microsoft?: An app got into my desktop and I do not know if I should uninstall it. When I went to control panel , app, Regs Utilities, was found. but its publisher listed was 'unknown. Then I went to uninstall, found the app and when I got ready to uninstall it a message...
  7. Windows 10 - GP Reg Edit - Only have Calendar, Power and Sound icons on taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 - GP Reg Edit - Only have Calendar, Power and Sound icons on taskbar: Hello, I work in an education environmnet and the students here must only be able to see the Power (battery), Volume/Sound (speakers) and Date/Time (Calendar) on the taskbar and no other icons. Within Group Policy - User Configuration/Policies/Administrative...
  8. How to Delete All Saved Passwords in Microsoft Edge w/ bat or reg key

in Browsers and Email
    How to Delete All Saved Passwords in Microsoft Edge w/ bat or reg key: Does anyone know how to delete all saved passwords in Microsoft Edge either using a bat file or reg key. Looking for a way to protect users in public computer classroom. Thanks 37350
  9. File association problem with .reg and .bat files

in Windows 10 Support
    File association problem with .reg and .bat files: Asus laptop with WINDOWS 10 When double clicking a .reg file the default action is merge by running the regedit.exe. On the right-click content menu I have Merge (in bold), edit and print, select edit opens the notepad for editing. In order to prevent from merging the .reg...
  10. Reg to Bat

in Windows 10 Support
    Reg to Bat: Hi everyone, I'm so sorry if this is not the proper forum to ask, but didn't found one for registry related questions. I have a small .reg file and I have converted it to .bat using a tool and am not sure if it's converted correctly and bug free! Is there anyone expert in...