Windows 10: Reinstalling Windows 10

Discus and support Reinstalling Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A laptop that ran W10, was recovered to W8.1, and runs fine. Wanting the reinstall W10, I ran the Media Creation tool. All went well right up to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by borgus, Sep 23, 2016.

1. borgus Win User

Reinstalling Windows 10

A laptop that ran W10, was recovered to W8.1, and runs fine.

Wanting the reinstall W10, I ran the Media Creation tool.
    All went well right up to the end, then it hung on the Dell logo post screen. No error messages, no beeps.

Where did I go wrong? Is there a better way to accomplish the upgrade?

The only mistake I made during the process was specifying the wrong time zone. Could that have caused the issue?

Many thanks

:)

borgus, Sep 23, 2016

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Sep 23, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Sep 23, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Reinstalling Windows 10

Hi, in reinstalling '10, can you confirm you did this as a clean install rather than an upgrade from '8?

And can you confirm any old partitions were removed before installing?

Using e.g. this:
    Bootable Partition Manager| MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition
    as your PC won't boot, please post a clear photo of your disks and partitions.

As a result of using the media creation tool, do you now have a physical bootable Win 10 medium?

dalchina, Sep 23, 2016
  5. borgus Win User

borgus, Sep 23, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Do you wish to upgrade to '10 or clean install?

Hint- a clean install is likely to be more reliable.

Do you have a full backup of all your data?
    Do you have many programs to reinstall?

Note: as you appear to have partitions from the attempted Win 10 install, that will need attention.
    The simplest route would be to clean install.

When I know which way you want to go, I'll look at all your other issues. Thanks.

dalchina, Sep 23, 2016
  7. borgus Win User
    As I mentioned, the laptop has no optical drive. When I earlier attempted to use the media creation tool to 'update now' from W8.1 the system hung on the Dell logo screen towards the end of the process.

Sure, I'd love to do a clean install, returning W10 to the laptop. Files are all backed up, and very few programs were installed. I am at this moment again recovering W8.1 from the USB drive - this time using the 'clean' option.

Since it appears that the recovery drive contains the W8.1 recovery partition - though you didn't confirm this - would it be wise to delete both hard drive recovery partitions - if they still exist after this clean install - while in W8.1? Then attempt the media creation tool update once again or use some other approach?

Kindly can lead me through what you consider best (and simplest), step-by-step. Many thanks for your time.

borgus, Sep 23, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Reinstalling Windows 10

Hi, first step: create a bootable USB flash drive which you will use to install Win10, noting you have no optical drive.
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums
    See option 2, noting section 8 where you can select a flash drive. (At least 3Gb).

I would guess your larger Recovery partition is the Win 8 manufacturer's recovery partition. Clearly I can't know for sure, but that's a reasonable assumption.

I would prefer to deal with the partitions using a partition manager, but that's my personal preference, so we'll use the Windows installation procedure to delete partitions we don't need.

Here's the Win 10 installation procedure for you to read thru and familiarise yourself with. Look carefully at the (rather minimal) info on partitions.
    How to Install Windows 10 on Your PC

dalchina, Sep 23, 2016
  9. borgus Win User
    Very good, Dalchina. Had either overlooked or forgotten about the USB option for the ISO.

After many hours and guidance of a local guru, we have a clean install. Used an ISO (Media Creation Tool). There's an option to delete all partitions. That left only C: and System Reserved. W8.1 is finally history.

Perhaps the multiple recovery partitions caused problems? Thanks for your persistence and courtesy.

borgus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Reinstalling Windows 10

1. Reinstalling Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reinstalling

2. wifi disconnects when bluetooth is on windows 11 --- i tried reinstalling windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wifi disconnects when bluetooth is on windows 11 --- i tried reinstalling windows...: wifi disconnects when bluetooth is on windows 11 --- i tried reinstalling windows reinstalling drivers updating drivers nothing works https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-disconnects-when-bluetooth-is-on-windows-11-i/e240c14a-295b-4492-883e-375568836b54
  3. wifi disconnects when bluetooth is on windows 11 --- i tried reinstalling windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wifi disconnects when bluetooth is on windows 11 --- i tried reinstalling windows...: wifi disconnects when bluetooth is on windows 11 --- i tried reinstalling windows reinstalling drivers updating drivers nothing works https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-disconnects-when-bluetooth-is-on-windows-11-i/e240c14a-295b-4492-883e-375568836b54
  4. Blue screen crashes after reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue screen crashes after reinstalling Windows 10: I reinstalled Windows 10 because the Windows Updates kept failing and it would not recognize a USB device. After reinstallation, Windows Updates complete successfully and the USB device is recognized. But the computer is now crashing frequently all with different errors....
  5. Blue screen crashes after reinstalling Windows 10

Blue screen crashes after reinstalling Windows 10: I reinstalled Windows 10 because the Windows Updates kept failing and it would not recognize a USB device. After reinstallation, Windows Updates complete successfully and the USB device is recognized. But the computer is now crashing frequently all with different errors....
  6. Blue screen crashes after reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. windows 11 device manager does not show Bluetooth how to reinstall Bluetooth driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 device manager does not show Bluetooth how to reinstall Bluetooth driver: Bluetooth not recognising discoverable devices https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-device-manager-does-not-show-bluetooth/1d706c57-9a39-421c-8619-a5257cd45bf5
  8. windows 11 device manager does not show Bluetooth how to reinstall Bluetooth driver

windows 11 device manager does not show Bluetooth how to reinstall Bluetooth driver: Bluetooth not recognising discoverable devices https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-device-manager-does-not-show-bluetooth/1d706c57-9a39-421c-8619-a5257cd45bf5
  9. How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?: The hard drive on my son's laptop has died. I did not make a bootable USB drive for his computer. If I replace the hard drive, how can I reinstall Windows 11 without purchasing Windows again?I read that I can go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo..., select...
  10. How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?

How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?: The hard drive on my son's laptop has died. I did not make a bootable USB drive for his computer. If I replace the hard drive, how can I reinstall Windows 11 without purchasing Windows again?I read that I can go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo..., select...