Windows 10: Reliability Monitor Shows Repeated Unexpected Shutdowns when Shut Down

Discus and support Reliability Monitor Shows Repeated Unexpected Shutdowns when Shut Down in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I checked the Reliability Monitor for any issues regarding my custom built PC and noticed that there are multiple Critical events detailing my machine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by pablo239, Nov 8, 2017.

1. pablo239 Win User

Reliability Monitor Shows Repeated Unexpected Shutdowns when Shut Down

I checked the Reliability Monitor for any issues regarding my custom built PC and noticed that there are multiple Critical events detailing my machine had unexpected shutdowns. I only shut down the machine via the start menu and let it completely shut off so I'm confused what could those errors. I noticed this happening after I updated Windows to Fall Creators Update. Any ideas why a typically triggered shutdown could cause an Unexpected Shutdown error?

:)

pablo239, Nov 8, 2017

2. Toshiba laptop running windows 10 - blue screen error

After an unexpected shutdown the laptop is attempting an automatic repair with no success.

It just goes to blue screen error message quoting . STOP CODE FAT FILE SYSTEM

It then shuts down and repeats the action.

We have no recovery disc for this equipment and I would like to retain the files on it.

NigelAlexander, Nov 8, 2017
  3. Howie411 Win User
    Windows 10 - Windows was not properly shut down (Every Day)

Seen a few other posts about this but with Windows 7. It looks like it may be a driver or bios issue from the other post, but according to Asus I'm using the latest Windows 10 stuff for my Z97 Maximus VII Formula MB.

But every day on the reliability monitor I have a red circle with an X, and it says Windows was not properly shut down (this is basically referring to the night before) The only if I can get under the description is, "The previous system shutdown at 10:47:55
    PM on ‎9/‎6/‎2015 was unexpected." (or whatever time/date the previous shutdown was).

Any idea what would cause this? I do a normal Power ---> Shutdown each time.

Howie411, Nov 8, 2017
  4. Reliability Monitor Shows Repeated Unexpected Shutdowns when Shut Down

Hi pablo239.

What kind of details are there for the errors? Codes, modules, dll's?

Next time you shutdown hold the shift key down and click shutdown.

See if that gives you any errors.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 8, 2017
  5. pablo239 Win User
    This is all that it shows in Reliability Monitor:

Reliability Monitor Shows Repeated Unexpected Shutdowns when Shut Down [​IMG]

pablo239, Nov 8, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    This is a log collector we use in the bsod forum. It will collect msinfo32, dxdiag, mini dumps, event log, etc. It collects the important files automatically and when it completes please create a zip and post it into the thread for troubleshooting.
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

zbook, Nov 8, 2017
  7. rboris Win User
    control panel
    power options
    choose what the power buttons do
    change settings that are currently unavailable
    unclick: Turn on fast startup (recommended)

Cheers!!

rboris, Nov 8, 2017
  8. Reliability Monitor Shows Repeated Unexpected Shutdowns when Shut Down

and did you try holding shift and shutting down.

Caledon Ken, Nov 8, 2017
  9. pablo239 Win User
    Just tried to do the shift + shutdown method. So far I haven't seen anything yet, but I will update if it comes again.

pablo239, Nov 8, 2017
  10. Helmut Win User
    I would not worry as yet. 2 times in one day is not multiple.

I would do as suggested in #5. Untick the Fast startup for a while. Do some shutdowns and restarts. Then go back to Fast startups.

The reasoning is that more checks are done on a slow startup thus the system will learn and apply to the Fast startup scenario.

Helmut, Nov 8, 2017
  11. pablo239 Win User
    Alright so it's been a few days since I had the fast startup turned off , and so far I'm not noticing it appearing in Reliability Monitor yet . So i'm guessing that could've been the problem. Would it be safe now if i turned it back on?

pablo239, Nov 10, 2017
  12. Sure but you might have to disable again.

This sounds like a driver, either it is out of date or has been upgraded to the point of not working.

Some machines have power management software from the vendor which can (maybe) assist in resolving power issues.

I think you looked through device manager and said there are no yellow exclamation marks, correct?

It would be really helpful if you completed the system specs.

Caledon Ken, Nov 10, 2017
  13. zbook New Member

Please update the system specs:
    How To Fill Out Your System Specs
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums General Tips Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Post #4 has a log collector so that we can troubleshoot the files.
    It is likely that there is information in the event logs, windows error reporting, etc. to troubleshoot the unexpected or reported shutdowns.
    If you can post the zip we can troubleshoot the problems.

Language - Add, Remove, and Change in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

zbook, Nov 12, 2017
  14. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type eventvwr.msc, and press Enter.

In the left pane of Event Viewer, double click/tap on Windows Logs to expand it, click on System to select it, then right click on System, and click/tap on Filter Current Log.

In the <All Event IDs> field, type 1074, then click/tap on OK.

Event Viewer will list logs for computer shuting down by which process and process name.

FreeBooter, Nov 12, 2017
  15. pablo239 Win User
    I turned the fast startup back on, and so far I am not seeing any problems yet. I will update if I notice anything.

pablo239, Nov 13, 2017
Thema:

1. Reliability Monitor Shows Repeated Unexpected Shutdowns when Shut Down - Similar Threads - Reliability Monitor Shows

2. Shut down Unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shut down Unexpectedly: Computer has been freezing and then shutting down randomly not sure what is causing it Problem signatureProblem Event Name: BlueScreenCode: 133Parameter 1: 1Parameter 2: 1e00Parameter 3: fffff802420fb320Parameter 4: 0OS version: 10_0_19045Service Pack: 0_0Product: 256_1OS...
  3. Unexpected shut down

Unexpected shut down: Hey all, I've been getting unexpected shutdowns 2 days in a row now. I'm not sure what's causing it and The event viewer didn't help me too much. This is the log below. ANy assistance would be severely appreciated.- <Event...
  4. Unexpected shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unexpected shut down: Hello Microsoft. Suddenly my laptop Surface Laptop 2 began to turn off without any reason. I tried to fix it but unfortunately, it happens again and again. I don't know what caused this problem. Baterry is full. But when I try to move my laptop 1 inch it directly turn off,...
  5. Unexpected shut down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unexpected shut down: Hello Microsoft. Suddenly my laptop Surface Laptop 2 began to turn off without any reason. I tried to fix it but unfortunately, it happens again and again. I don't know what caused this problem. Baterry is full. But when I try to move my laptop 1 inch it directly turn off,...
  6. Shut down unexpectedly.

Shut down unexpectedly.: Please help.I don't know when was the first time this problem occur but here it is. The previous system shutdown at 11:22:44 PM on ‎30/‎3/‎2022 was unexpected.The previous system shutdown at 1:15:00 AM on ‎3/‎4/‎2022 was unexpected.The previous system shutdown at 2:17:00 AM...
  7. Reliability monitor shows "Windows was not properly shut down" error consistently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reliability monitor shows "Windows was not properly shut down" error consistently: I get this error often and I was wondering if this is something I should be worried about. Also, what could be causing this error and how can I try to resolve it? Even though this error shows up in the reliability monitor often, I haven't seen my Windows shut down on its own,...
  8. Reliability monitor shows "Windows was not properly shut down" error consistently

Reliability monitor shows "Windows was not properly shut down" error consistently: I get this error often and I was wondering if this is something I should be worried about. Also, what could be causing this error and how can I try to resolve it? Even though this error shows up in the reliability monitor often, I haven't seen my Windows shut down on its own,...
  9. Shut Down Unexpectedly

Shut Down Unexpectedly: Problem signature Problem Event Name: BlueScreen Code: 154 Parameter 1: ffffa70188cf2000 Parameter 2: ffff89875ca7df30 Parameter 3: 2 Parameter 4: 0 OS version: 10_0_19042 Service Pack: 0_0 Product: 256_1 OS Version: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.256.48 Locale ID: 14345 Extra information...
  10. "Windows was not properly shut down" Error in the reliability monitor.

"Windows was not properly shut down" Error in the reliability monitor.: When I open the reliability monitor on my computer, I almost always see Critical events with the description "Windows was not properly shut down", with the same date and time than when I shut down my PC. I read elsewhere that it may have something to do with the "Fast Boot"...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows phone repeated shutdowns