Windows 10: "Remove disks or other media" appears when I try to boot to USB

Discus and support "Remove disks or other media" appears when I try to boot to USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Before you ask I have an Acer Aspire E14 that is running Windows 10 version 1809. I am trying to boot to my USB, because I want to go back (clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Frickfries, Mar 25, 2019.

1. "Remove disks or other media" appears when I try to boot to USB

Before you ask

I have an Acer Aspire E14 that is running Windows 10 version 1809.

I am trying to boot to my USB, because I want to go back (clean install) to Windows 7.

1 month has passed, so I cannot downgrade.

The issue

So I booted to BIOS and switched my boot order to make the USB first and my HDD second. I also disabled UEFI boot and set it to Legacy.

When I saved my changes I restarted and it showed me a black screen with "Remove disks or other media". I removed my bootable USB flash drive but it said I need to put it in and press any key again. I did that, and it said "Remove disks or other media" again. It just kept looping.

What I did

Restored the boot order, and set it back to UEFI, and just booted back into 10.

:)

Frickfries, Mar 25, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

3. Suupala Win User
    Disk boot failure after removing old Vista partition

Thank you for the reply, muchomurka! As I indicated in my post, I have already tried all the steps you suggested to no avail:

- I cannot choose startup repair since the computer does not boot from the installation media
    - I cannot use command prompt since the computer does not boot further than the POST screen
    - I have disconnected and tried out all hard drives individually.

Since I had Win 10 up and running a few hours ago, I can say with 100% certainty that none of the hardware is faulty.

The real mystery is, how come the system won't boot from any media without an empty disk containing an old Vista boot sector being on top of the boot priority list? And which steps to take now that I've cleaned this disk and it does not exist anymore?

Would appreciate any ideas and pointers!

Suupala, Mar 25, 2019
  4. thraxed Win User

"Remove disks or other media" appears when I try to boot to USB

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Mar 25, 2019
Thema:

"Remove disks or other media" appears when I try to boot to USB

1. "Remove disks or other media" appears when I try to boot to USB - Similar Threads - Remove disks media

2. Booting problem when trying to boot from USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting problem when trying to boot from USB: Hello!My friend and i have been trying for a couple of days to upgrade this old pc with Windows XP Professional edition, to Windows 10.When we boot from the USB, a black screen with a cursor appears. A couple of minutes 5-15 anywhere in between go by, and the pc restarts...
  3. Booting problem when trying to boot from USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting problem when trying to boot from USB: Hello!My friend and i have been trying for a couple of days to upgrade this old pc with Windows XP Professional edition, to Windows 10.When we boot from the USB, a black screen with a cursor appears. A couple of minutes 5-15 anywhere in between go by, and the pc restarts...
  4. Strange screen when I try to boot off of usb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Strange screen when I try to boot off of usb: Image says it all also install menu does not show up and its been like this for a bit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-screen-when-i-try-to-boot-off-of-usb/7b0d8895-46b1-4796-82b4-9dab64e780f5
  5. My USB is not detected when I try to boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My USB is not detected when I try to boot: I have Windows10 for my main OS, but I want to make it dual boot with Linux. I tested my USB to see if flashed Linux correctly on an old laptop, which booted Linux perfectly. The problems seems to be on my new PC as my USB doesn't show up when I hit f9 to boot. How could I...
  6. Screen freezes when trying to boot from usb with windows media creation tool

Screen freezes when trying to boot from usb with windows media creation tool: Hello, I recently built a brand new pc and tried to install windows 10 from a usb. I get to the boot menu and select the usb that I downloaded the windows media creation tool on and it freezes on a screen with windows logo and a few black and white lines at the bottom. I...
  7. Boot on an other disk

Boot on an other disk: I have an EFI partition on drive 0 partition 1 and I want it to make me boot on drive 1 partition 2 theres a fresh Windows installation here Is it possible, if so, how?...
  8. Remove disk others media players problem hp Compaqnc6400notebook

Remove disk others media players problem hp Compaqnc6400notebook: How to soveld Remove disk others media player hp Compaqnc6400 notebook lopto? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-disk-others-media-players-problem-hp/5ee394c1-e0ce-4be4-9d00-5be6ccf5f8bb
  9. Remove disk or other media - select proper boot device or insert boot media

Remove disk or other media - select proper boot device or insert boot media: Hi, I have been running a stationary computer (windows 10 pro) for about one year now. never failed before. Last night I upgraded, a rather large upgrade, duration 1 hour or more. After the upgrade the message on the screen is: - "Remove disks or other media. Press any...
  10. Usb drive appears in disk management when no usb drive exists

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb drive appears in disk management when no usb drive exists: In disk management I have disk 4 has removeable drive and the icons appears in desktop. I can eject this and the icon disappears & is removed from disk management but when I restart the PC the disk & icon re-appear although I have no usb sticks inserted in the machine. 71493

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how fix remove or other media when booting from usb

2. I have made my usb bootable using cmd but the bios tells me remove disks or other media

3. showing remove disk when booting flashdruve

4. what will be the problem trying to boot machine but saying remove disks or other media