Windows 10: Remove Programs from Open with Context Menu in Windows

Discus and support Remove Programs from Open with Context Menu in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Remove Programs from Open with Context Menu in Windows How to Remove Programs from "Open with" Context Menu in Windows The Open with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Remove Programs from Open with Context Menu in Windows

How to: Remove Programs from Open with Context Menu in Windows

How to Remove Programs from "Open with" Context Menu in Windows

The Open with context menu allows users to choose an app to open a file with.

Sometimes your "Open with" context menu may include programs you no longer want listed for a file extension. For example, an uninstalled program, or if you mistakenly opened a file with the wrong program.

This tutorial will show you how to remove third-party programs from the Open with context menu for only your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10.

EXAMPLE: "Open with" context menu

Remove Programs from Open with Context Menu in Windows [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

3. Expand open the FileExts key, expand open the file extension (ex: ".jpg") key you want to remove an "Open with" item from, and click/tap on the OpenWithList key under it. (see screenshot below)

4. In the right pane of the OpenWithList key, right click or press and hold on the string value (REG_SZ) of the third-party program (ex: "Screenpresso.exe") you want to remove, and click/tap on Delete. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

6. Repeat steps 3 to 5 for any other programs you want to remove from the "Open with" context menu for any file types.

7. When finished, you can close Registry Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Apr 6, 2018

2. Custom context menu entries

So, just throwing this out there, in case somone knows.

I have added a custom context menu entry for the program rightload, since by default the menu is broken in vistax64.

It works pefect with single files, but when I select mutiple files and try to open, I get mutiple instances of the program (which makes sense), here is my entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rightload\Rightload.exe --server=1 --autostart %1

So the %1 passes the filename to the program, and when I select multiple files it is just opening multiple instances of rightload each with a different file.

What I'd like to do is be able to pass a list of the files selected to the program. Since I know it is capable of uploading multiple files from the context menu, all in one instance.

So, is there something I can pass besides %1 that will do this? I have looked around and can't seem to find an answer anywhere... *Frown Remove Programs from Open with Context Menu in Windows :(

ArmoredCavalry, Oct 27, 2019
  3. mades Win User
    How to remove item from Context Menu (after app removed)

It's not in the open with context menu (tried the steps from the link just to see, but no it's not in there). The app from the context menu is in the first layer, the one when you right click on an item and you have "scan with..." or "edit with notepad++" etc.

mades, Oct 27, 2019
  4. BJM
    bjm Win User

tried to remove Slimjet remnant in Open with menu. I deleted i (by coincidence was Slimjet). FlashPeak Slimjet remains in menu?

5. Bree Win User
    Remove Play with Windows Media Player Context Menu in Windows 10  

Choose Default Apps in Windows 10 Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

Step 1. Open with > choose another app

Step 2, click More apps

Step 3. scroll down to the bottom of the list to find Look for another app on this PC

Step 4. browse and find Windows Media Player wmplayer.exe then click Open

6. BJM
    bjm Win User

I ran
    + machine restart =

?

Thema:

1. Remove Programs from Open with Context Menu in Windows - Similar Threads - Remove Programs Open

2. How to Remove Old Programs from the "Open With" Context Menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Remove Old Programs from the "Open With" Context Menu?: I have uninstalled the old application and replaced it with a new one, but the old icon still appears https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-old-programs-from-the-open-with/0d1ed50c-7bf2-4dbb-a3cd-7ed81fee7260
  3. How to Remove Old Programs from the "Open With" Context Menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Remove Old Programs from the "Open With" Context Menu?: I have uninstalled the old application and replaced it with a new one, but the old icon still appears https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-old-programs-from-the-open-with/0d1ed50c-7bf2-4dbb-a3cd-7ed81fee7260
  4. Remove Edge from Open With Context Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove Edge from Open With Context Menu: How do I Remove the Microsoft Edge entry from the Open With > Context Menu please? . . . The particular File shown is a .PDF [ Save As PDF ] File. I have looked in the HKCU and HKLM of the Registry, and File Associations, but to NO avail. I did search @Brinks Tutorials but I...
  5. Program not showing up in 'Open With' context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program not showing up in 'Open With' context menu: I tried this a few months ago and failed after a lot of tweaking in the regedit. Probably this guide Remove Programs from Open with Context Menu in Windows and some other where it said how to add. I gave up. Now I have a new computer with a fresh Windows 10, and is at it...
  6. How Remove “Search the Store” from Open With context menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    How Remove “Search the Store” from Open With context menu?: I used this reg file but it doesn't work I still see the Search with Store when I select Open With: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer] "NoUseStoreOpenWith"=-...
  7. Windows Context Menu Not Opening

Windows Context Menu Not Opening: Hey Anyone, WHEN I RIGHT CLICK ON TASKBAR AND SELECT TASKBAR SETTING IT DOES NOT OPEN SETTING ELSE IT FLASHES COMMAND PROMPT LIKE SOMETHING WHICH JUST POPS UP AND CLOSE AND NOTHING HAPPENS... THE SAME PROBLEM ALSO OCCUR WHEN I RIGHT CLICK ON DESKTOP AND SELECT DESKTOP...
  8. How to remove Context Menu Program UAC Prompt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to remove Context Menu Program UAC Prompt: Hi, Been trying to sort this out, but no luck with my searching. I am using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free. Everytime I attempt to use the conttext menu to scan a file, I get the UAC prompt, which is extremly frustrating. I know the premium version must add policies to...
  9. Remove from context menu

Remove from context menu: Brink has posted a number of tutorials for removing specific program entries from the context menu. The screen shot is my current CM, showing two entries I'd like to get rid of. Is there a general method or places in the registry to look for? [img] 107356
  10. Add or Remove Open with Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Open with Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Open with Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Open with Context Menu in Windows 10 The Open with context menu allows users to choose an app to open a file with. This tutorial will show how to add or remove the Open with context menu...