Windows 10: Removing Cortana permanently?

Discus and support Removing Cortana permanently? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Is it true that there is no way to permanently remove Cortana in W10 home so it does not run in the background or report back to MS? I've searched... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Curious, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Curious Win User

Removing Cortana permanently?

Is it true that there is no way to permanently remove Cortana in W10 home so it does not run in the background or report back to MS?

I've searched the web, taken possession of the searchui file and disabled it, but task manager shows it restarting and running in the background.

Is it safe to rename the exe file? Other solution?

Thanks.

:)

Curious, Aug 1, 2016

2. Cortana Reminders in Calendar (Mail) Windows 10

How to remove never-ending recurring series Cortana reminders with remove button disabled?

If not possible to remove reminders, how to remove Cortana from Calendar? It is annoying to see a never-ending recurring series reminder when I select Cortana reminders.

BrunoCiano, Aug 1, 2016
  3. Cortana removal

Hello,

Cortana is part of operating system and can't be removed or deleted.

Regards.

Kapil Arya MVP, Aug 1, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello., *Smile

If you like, you could use an option in the tutorial below to disable Cortana. This will only enable or disable Cortana the personal assistant, and not the Cortana process used by Search (SearchUI.exe).

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Aug 1, 2016
  5. Curious Win User
    Thank you for replying. I will try it.

But will it stop Cortana from continuing to gather information and reporting back to MS? That's the part I really want to stop.

Curious, Aug 1, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Aug 1, 2016
  8. Curious Win User

Thank you.
    I downloaded the disable Cortana reg file and ran it. The popup said it had added it to the registry.

But, after rebooting, Taskmanager showed Cortana was still running and when I checked the registry, there was nothing new added (see attached mage).

I would be glad to add it manually if necessary, but because this is Windows 10 Home, there is no
    "\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" under Policies. So I'm not sure what else needs to be added.

Curious, Aug 2, 2016
  9. Curious Win User
    Furthermore, when I looked at the disable Cortana reg file I downloaded, I see it contains
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Created by: Shawn Brink
    ; Windows 10 Forums
    ; Tutorial: Cortana - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search]
    "AllowCortana"=dword:00000000
    which does not seem correct!!!
    Can you please explain?

Curious, Aug 2, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    When you set the "AllowCortana" DWORD to zero, it disables it.

This will only enable or disable Cortana the personal assistant, and not the Cortana process used by Search (SearchUI.exe). That's what you are seeing in Task Manager.

Brink, Aug 2, 2016
  11. Curious Win User
    But the entry was not added to the registry. I searched for it in the registry and it is not there under Policies

Curious, Aug 2, 2016
  12. Curious Win User
    But the entry was not added to the registry. I searched for it in the registry and it is not there under Policies
    See attached image above. Nothing changed.

Curious, Aug 2, 2016
  13. Curious Win User

I noticed in another thread that you asked if that user had any other tweaking programs installed. I do:
    Ultimate Windows Tweaker for W10
    SDAnti-beakon1.5.exe

Can I add the registry change manually?

Curious, Aug 2, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    A couple of questions just to verify. *Smile

Are you signed in to an administrator account?

When you merged the .reg file, did you approve all prompt to allow it to merge?

Yes, you could manually add the keys and values if you like.

Since you do have tweaking programs installed, you should double check their settings to make sure none may also set this.

Brink, Aug 2, 2016
  15. Curious Win User
    Yes, I am administrator. Unfortunately none of my tools deal with cortana.

I gave up and just renamed Searchui.exe and rebooted.
    Now taskmanager no longer shows Cortana running - though briefly it showed Cortana background process running, whatever that is. Then that stopped.
    The start button still searches for apps and files when entered.
    So unless something breaks, renaming searchui,exe seems to be the answer.

I'll see if updates restore it.........

Curious, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Removing Cortana permanently? - Similar Threads - Removing Cortana permanently

2. Removing Cortana

in Cortana
    Removing Cortana: I don’t use Cortana and want to remove it from my PC. What are the steps? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-cortana/113aeeb5-f69b-4ddf-9d1e-0d41e307b435
  3. Remove Cortana

in Cortana
    Remove Cortana: Somebody PLEASE tell me how to get rid of this totally worthless program. In the history of MS this is the WORST mistake they have ever made. Even with it completely turned off by an "MS Pro" from their Help Desk, it still turns itself on and once it does I cannot turn it...
  4. Remove Cortana and Microsoft Edge Permanently

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove Cortana and Microsoft Edge Permanently: Hi, How I can remove Cortana and Microsoft Edge permanently from Windows 10 Pro? I did this successfully by renaming specific folder in "systemapps". But after feature updates installation, it started to work again. Please guide how can i permanently remove Cortana & EDGE...
  5. Remove Cortana

in Cortana
    Remove Cortana: I'm having problems with Cortana acting erratically and self manipulating the screen. How can I remove Cortana? Are there any Microsoft updates or software to remove Cortana? I have all the Cortana settings off, but that still hasn't deactivated Cortana. It constantly...
  6. REMOVING CORTANA

in Windows 10 Customization
    REMOVING CORTANA: I want CORTANA GONE. I do not and will not use it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/removing-cortana/bb919d6e-1f7f-4cc9-b39c-cc5244a56caa
  7. How to Disable Permanently Cortana?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Disable Permanently Cortana?: I have a Toshiba 64-bit laptop running Windows 10 Home. Some time ago, I spent DAYS getting Cortana disabled and turned off on my laptop. And now after this last update, MS in it's infinite stupidity has turned it back on. I've looked at instructions on the internet on how...
  8. cortana removal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cortana removal: Can someone please show me how to remove Cortana.Find it a nuisance. 36087
  9. This is How to permanently Disable Cortana

in Microsoft Office and 365
    This is How to permanently Disable Cortana: This is how to permanently disable Cortana, first start into safe mode and navigate to C:/Windows/SystemApps/Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy you will need to Take Ownership of the Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy folder and then delete the file SearchUI.exe. If...
  10. How can I remove Cortana Search from my Taskbar permanently?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I remove Cortana Search from my Taskbar permanently?: Can't believe it. Thanks so much! *Smile You are quite welcome*Smile