Windows 10: Removing or changing shortcut arrows

Discus and support Removing or changing shortcut arrows in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I removed the arrow icons that you normally see on desktop shortcuts, by using the Registry Editor. I went all the way down to Explorer -> Shell Icons... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/PantsAreOptionaI, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Removing or changing shortcut arrows

I removed the arrow icons that you normally see on desktop shortcuts, by using the Registry Editor. I went all the way down to Explorer -> Shell Icons and made a new string in which I pasted a certain line that I got from a Youtube tutorial.

It worked like a charm and for several months and many system restarts, nothing changed. Then one day all icons were invisible. Not just the shortcut arrow, but the icons themselves. The tiny icons in folders that indicate whether something is an image, audio file or subfolder etc. were also messed up.

I was able to fix it with yet another tutorial by setting the string value to "C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll". The main icons are back, but where the shortcut arrows normally are, it now shows a different symbol and this one is even worse. It looks like a default icon for documents and it looks very out of place.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like now

Since I made a lot of effort to customize my desktop, I would really like to have no shortcut arrows at all, but it seems this method of removing them is not perfect? I would appreciate any help, even if it's just to change them back to arrows for the time being.

submitted by /u/PantsAreOptionaI
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/PantsAreOptionaI, Jan 21, 2020
  2. Brink Win User
    Brink, Jan 21, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Jan 21, 2020
  4. pigasus Win User

Removing or changing shortcut arrows

Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10  

I had the same problem, so I tried a solution that had been suggested for previous versions of Windows. It seems to work.

In regedit, go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile. In the right column, change lsShortcut to XlsShortcut.

Sally

pigasus, Jan 21, 2020
Thema:

Removing or changing shortcut arrows

1. Removing or changing shortcut arrows - Similar Threads - Removing changing shortcut

2. Shortcut arrows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut arrows: How to remove shortcut arrows in windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-arrows/e8445720-f95a-4605-a968-5b76569c5b9b
  3. Shortcut arrows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcut arrows: How to remove shortcut arrows in windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-arrows/e8445720-f95a-4605-a968-5b76569c5b9b
  4. Remove shortcut arrow icon ONLY ON DESKTOP?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove shortcut arrow icon ONLY ON DESKTOP?: Is there a way to remove the shortcut arrow icon from shortcuts, but only on the desktop? So I could still see them in explorer which is useful, but it would make the desktop look a lot cleaner. submitted by /u/KingofHeck [link] [comments]...
  5. shortcut dbl-arrow icon removal

in Windows 10 Customization
    shortcut dbl-arrow icon removal: recently a large blue dbl-arrow icon is in front of my fie names. How can I remove this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-dbl-arrow-icon-removal/8049002f-fb9c-411b-83d6-bde2468d087e
  6. Remove arrows from shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove arrows from shortcuts: Hello Forum, On my previous system (1709) I removed the annoying arrows from desktop shortcuts using instructions given here "How to get rid of app shortcut arrows on the Windows 10 desktop | Windows Central". Tried this on the upgraded system (1803), all desktop icons became...
  7. Remove shortcut arrows

Remove shortcut arrows: How do we remove those desktop shortcut arrows? Is there a quick way w/o digging into the registry? I don't see it in the latest UWT. Thanks *Wink 113829
  8. Shortcut arrow

Shortcut arrow: How remove shortcut arrows from desktop icons in Win10 ? 8484
  9. How do I remove the shortcut arrows

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I remove the shortcut arrows: Using Win 10 single language home version. How do I remove the little shortcut arrows from the desktop icons? Tried the regedit tutorial creating new shell with file 29, but it just created little black boxes where the shortcut arrows were so I had to remove it. 36304
  10. Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10: How to: Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 How to Change, Remove, or Restore Shortcut Arrow Overlay Icon in Windows 10 A shortcut is a link to an item (such as a file, folder, or app) on your PC. You can create shortcuts and then place them in...