Windows 10: Removing Quick Access

Discus and support Removing Quick Access in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I seem to be having a problem permanently removing the Quick Access option from my Windows 10 Creators Update machine (I also had this issue on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by xy677, Apr 20, 2017.

1. xy677 Win User

Removing Quick Access

I seem to be having a problem permanently removing the Quick Access option from my Windows 10 Creators Update machine (I also had this issue on the Anniversary Update install before upgrading). I get the following icon randomly appearing on my desktop:

Removing Quick Access [​IMG]

and in File Explorer:

If I hit F5 on the desktop or while in File Explorer then the icon disappears.

I removed Quick Access by modifying the following registry key to:

Code: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6}\ShellFolder] "Attributes"=dword:a0600000[/quote] I also set the following options in File Explorer options:

Is there anything else I should be doing to permanently get rid of Quick Access? *sarc

:)

xy677, Apr 20, 2017

2. Disable "Quick Access"

To disable Quick Access without breaking drag-drop support, try the edit here:

How To Remove Quick Access, Folders (6) And Other Shell Folders From File Explorer?:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/remove-quick-access-other-shell-folders-file-explorer/

Note that this disables Quick Access functionality, but the Quick Access star icon would be still present, but dimmed and non-expandable. My edit sets the quick access shell folder DWORD to 88000.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Apr 20, 2017
  3. How do I find removed folders from quick access.

Old title: Quick Access

How do I find removed folders from quick access. I removed a couple of folders from quick access ow I cant find them in my computer.

anitzaserafin, Apr 20, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

Removing Quick Access

It's a known issue.
    Being a 'virtual folder', Quick Access seems to have to make it's presence known no matter what!
    As a work around, I've used Winaero Tweaker to customize Quick Access and remove all other unwanted items:

Edwin, Apr 20, 2017
  5. xy677 Win User
    What does Aero Tweaker do differently to what I have already done? Does it permanently remove it from the desktop and File Explorer if I use Aero Tweaker?

xy677, Apr 20, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    Nope.
    You have to keep Quick Access but rename it, if you wish, pin only the items you want to Quick Access and remove other items and trees from the navigation pane as desired.

File Explorer will still open to 'This PC' (as set in Folder Options) but you will have a customized navigation pane.

Edwin, Apr 20, 2017
  7. xy677 Win User
    Sorry to sound daft but how do I rename it? Also how do I restore it so I can rename it?

xy677, Apr 20, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Removing Quick Access

I do not understand why people would want to remove quick access (favourites) as it is the most useful feature in explorer.

cereberus, Apr 20, 2017
  9. xy677 Win User
    Ok so I enabled Quick Access again but it added Downloads,Pictures,Documents and Desktop to File Explorer again so I deleted them from the registry:

Code: ; Delete Downloads: [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{088e3905-0323-4b02-9826-5d99428e115f}] [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{088e3905-0323-4b02-9826-5d99428e115f}] ; Delete Pictures: [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{24ad3ad4-a569-4530-98e1-ab02f9417aa8}] [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{24ad3ad4-a569-4530-98e1-ab02f9417aa8}] ; Delete Documents: [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{d3162b92-9365-467a-956b-92703aca08af}] [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{d3162b92-9365-467a-956b-92703aca08af}] ; Delete Desktop: [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641}] [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641}][/quote] and now File Explorer looks like this:

There is nothing listed in Quick Access and it can't be expanded.

I'll see if this stops the Quick Access icon from appearing on the desktop and in File Explorer.

xy677, Apr 20, 2017
  10. xy677 Win User
    Argh this didn't work and I am still getting the random Quick Access icon created on the desktop so what else do I need to do to stop this?

xy677, Apr 20, 2017
  11. iDamn Win User
    my File Explorer looks like this and i'm fine with it.

though it never created a desktop shortcut of Quick Access out of nowhere, ever.

iDamn, Apr 20, 2017
  12. xy677 Win User
    This is how my File Explorer looks:

Notice how there is zero clutter? I like it this way as I am a minimalist...*Smile

Quick Access is getting in the way of my clean layout...

xy677, Apr 20, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Removing Quick Access

Brink, Apr 20, 2017
  14. xy677 Win User
    Howdee *Tongue

Thanks but I've already gone through that post.

I'm not actually having an issue removing Quick Access. As you can see in my earlier post Quick Access is gone from File Explorer.

The problem I have is that I keep getting that blue star Quick Access icon on my desktop randomly and I also have Quick Access randomly appearing in File Explorer. if I do a refresh (F5) then it goes away.

So do I need to do anything further and if so what? Or do I need to just accept that this is a limitation with removing Quick Access and I need to live with it?

xy677, Apr 20, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If just refreshing (F5) clears the icon, then it appears to be a glitch that I'm not aware of anything else can be done.

Brink, Apr 20, 2017
Thema:

Removing Quick Access

1. Removing Quick Access - Similar Threads - Removing Quick Access

2. File removal from Quick Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File removal from Quick Access: I permanently deleted a file which was located in 'Downloads'. However, it is still getting shown in 'Quick access'. If I try to remove it, it says Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. How can I remove the file from 'Quick access' which is still getting...
  3. Quick Access folder removed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access folder removed: I didn't know how to work with Quick Access and when I saw my file there - I requested file to be removed. Now I can not locate my file anywhere. Where do files go when removed from Quick Access....
  4. How to remove these quick access icons?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remove these quick access icons?: I've been googling about this and I've found nothing to fix this problem. I don't know how to remove these icons. The one I found on google was just to remove the icons above This PC, not below it. Really appreciate if someone can help me out to get rid of this bug....
  5. Removal of Quick Access - can't do it!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Removal of Quick Access - can't do it!: I have tried unsuccessfully using the Windows instruction to remove the "Quick Access" from appearing in my desktop after start-up. The standard method of going into "File Explorer Options" and changing the drop-down from "Quick Access" to "This PC" and unchecking the 2 boxes...
  6. Remove Quick Access for good

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Quick Access for good: Does anyone know how to remove Quick acess from file explorer when updating a driver? I already removed it from file explorer with Winaero Tweaker but on some occasions it still shows up. 146862
  7. Remove from Quick access

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove from Quick access: You guys have helped me with other technical problems so lets see if anyone can help with this one ! Cannot delete or remove from Quick access the 3 files that say recent files, i have tried uninstalling OneDrive & reinstalling which didn't work ! Any ideas on how to either...
  8. Solved...Removal of Quick access and DnD

Solved...Removal of Quick access and DnD: To anyone having this problem, I'm not sure when it started, but all of a sudden I discovered that I did not have the ability to Drag and Drop a file from File Explorer's right pane to the left pane. I get the circle with line through it indicating that I can't do that. I...
  9. added Quick Access to Taskbar - then removed - now quick access twice

added Quick Access to Taskbar - then removed - now quick access twice: Added Quick Access to Taskbar - then removed - now quick access twice in File Explorer left navigation pane. How to remove the extra? 94546
  10. Removing Quick access from the Navigation

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing Quick access from the Navigation: How do you remove Quick access from the left side of your folders when you have the navigation enabled? I can remove all of the icons under it just fine, but I cannot remove Quick access as a whole. 9281