Windows 10: Remove Quick access from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

Discus and support Remove Quick access from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Remove Quick access from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Quick access in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Edwin, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Edwin New Member

Remove Quick access from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

How to: Remove Quick access from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

How to Add or Remove Quick access in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10

Windows 10 replaced Favorites from previous Windows with Quick access. The Quick access page is the shortest route to files you've been working on and folders you often use. These are your frequent folders and recent files.

In Windows 10, File Explorer opens to Quick access by default which shows your Frequent folders and Recent files.
    • Frequent folders = Displays up to ten folders that you frequently opened on the system.
    • Recent files = Displays up to twenty files that you most recently opened.
    This tutorial will show you how to add or remove Quick access in the navigation pane of File Explorer for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to add or remove Quick access in the navigation pane.

*note Removing Quick access from the navigation pane will not clear the history of your frequent folders and recent files.

EXAMPLE: Add or Remove "Quick access" in navigation pane

Remove Quick access from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

HubMode DWORD

0 = Add
    1 = Remove

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add Quick access to Navigation Pane
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_Quick_access_to_navigation_pane.reg

Download

3. To Remove Quick access from Navigation Pane
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_Quick_access_from_navigation_pane.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If File Explorer is open, then close and reopen it to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Edwin, Mar 21, 2015

2. Windows 10 and OneDrive integration

@AjdinAlibegovic: Perhaps you can try
    removing OneDrive from the navigation pane
    and then adding it back? Or while in the registry check if there are duplicate entries somehow.

RobertJWin, Mar 21, 2015
  3. Explorer Displaying External HDD Twice

Hi James,

Both require editing the registry.

See the post here by BMTripp for removing the duplicate drives in the nav pane.

duplicate usb drives in windows 10 file explorer - Microsoft Community

duplicate usb drives in windows 10 file explorer

There is a registry edit to remove Quick Access *but* it also removes drag-drop functionality in the navigation pane.

How to remove Quick access from File Explorer in Windows 10 | Windows Central

How to remove Quick access from File Explorer in Windows 10

I’ve noticed that instead of a0600000, if you set it 88000 (0x00088000), you can hide Quick access and at the same time, preserve the drag-drop functionality in the navigation pane. The Quick access icon (the blue star) isn’t removed though, but it appears
    dimmed or ghosted and not as prominent as before.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/remove-quick-access-other-shell-folders-file-explorer/

Ramesh Srinivasan, Mar 21, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you Edwin. *Smile

Brink, Mar 21, 2015
  5. Wow, this took a bit of working through, Shawn, making sure all the permissions were changed etc.

Then when I got to Step 8 and linked to the tutorial to set File Explorer to open up to This PC instead of Quick Access I realized I'd achieved what I wanted to do in this one step. Quick Access is still in the navigation pane, but only opens if I want it to, so it's no longer irritating me. So I stopped there.

Does it matter that I left the ownership set to Administrators and gave this group full control or should I go back and change it again? I'm not sure I can remember the original ownership setting.

SaggyMaggyPoo, Mar 24, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey Maggi,

I'm happy that you got it set how you wanted.

Nar, it won't hurt anything to leave the owner and permissions for the Administrators group. *Smile

Brink, Mar 24, 2015
  7. Gary Win User
    I tried this process and nothing changed. See Attached:

Has this procedure Changed?

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Good. What turned out to be the problem?

*Thumbs

Brink, May 10, 2015
  9. Gary Win User
    Well I was under the impression that all of the marked items in the image below would be gone.

10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You have "This PC" open in your screenshot instead of "Quick access".

Did you restart the PC afterwards to no longer see Quick access?

Brink, May 11, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    In that case, go ahead and export the two registry keys below, and upload them here. I'll be happy to take a look at them to see what may be wrong. *Smile

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6}\ShellFolder

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6}\ShellFolder

Brink, May 11, 2015
  12. Gary Win User
    Here you go, I hope this is what you want:

Root.rar

wow64.rar

13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Ok. Found the problem. You need to repeat steps 1 to 8, then restart the computer afterwards. It was still set to show. *Smile

Brink, May 11, 2015
  14. Gary Win User
    I did not do that because I saw this:

15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That is for to do step 10 if you have a 64-bit Windows 10. If you have a 32-bit Windows 10 installed, then you wouldn't do step 10.

However, you would need to do step 8 on both 32-bit or 64-bit to remove Quick access.

Brink, May 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Remove Quick access from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Remove Quick access

2. Quick Access Has Disappeared from the Navigation Pane.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick Access Has Disappeared from the Navigation Pane.: My kid started pressing buttons randomly as they do...She some how got the quick access set of folders in the organize tab to disappear yet the navigation pane is checked under the layout tab when clicking on organize.. This is only while trying to save using the built in...
  3. Quick Access Has Disappeared from the Navigation Pane.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick Access Has Disappeared from the Navigation Pane.: My kid started pressing buttons randomly as they do...She some how got the quick access set of folders in the organize tab to disappear yet the navigation pane is checked under the layout tab when clicking on organize.. This is only while trying to save using the built in...
  4. Quick Access Has Disappeared from the Navigation Pane.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Quick Access is missing in the navigation pane

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access is missing in the navigation pane: Everything else shows up in the navigation pane like videos and pictures, but the only thing missing is the Quick Access folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/quick-access-is-missing-in-the-navigation-pane/fa12ce12-1b60-4c86-ace5-d0617d2a165a
  6. Quick Access Missing from Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick Access Missing from Navigation Pane: Setup a new computer and the Navigation Pane is missing the Quick Access folders. I have the quick launch up at the top along the bar but it's not listed in the Library area. This is what is missing from the machine. I've tried resetting the view panels and making a change in...
  7. How to show or remove Quick access and Favorites from Navigation Pane of Explorer

in Windows 10 News
    How to show or remove Quick access and Favorites from Navigation Pane of Explorer: [ATTACH]If your Windows 10 File Explorer does not display Quick access or Favorites in the navigation pane, or you want to remove or hide them, […] This article How to show or remove Quick access and Favorites from Navigation Pane of Explorer first appeared on...
  8. Duplicate "Quick Access" in navigation pane.

Duplicate "Quick Access" in navigation pane.: Hi, I have two "quick access" menu's in the navigation pane - Likely from some customization app from ages ago. How can I remove the duplicate entry? Please see attached screenshot. [img] Latest version of Windows 10. 157112
  9. Remove Gray Pin icon from Quick access Navigation Pane

Remove Gray Pin icon from Quick access Navigation Pane: For Pinned items in Quick Access in Win10 Navigation pane, a gray Pin icon is displayed beside each item. Can it be removed or made transparent with Reshacker? Note: I wanted to keep the Quick access feature so that I can still drag and drop in Nav pane. Thank you...
  10. Removing Quick access from the Navigation

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing Quick access from the Navigation: How do you remove Quick access from the left side of your folders when you have the navigation enabled? I can remove all of the icons under it just fine, but I cannot remove Quick access as a whole. 9281