Windows 10: Removing Start Menu shortcuts

Discus and support Removing Start Menu shortcuts in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is there a way to remove Built-In application shortcuts from the Start Menu? I don't mean uninstall the application, but just remove its shortcut;... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CJW, Jan 24, 2020.

1. CJW
    CJW Win User

Removing Start Menu shortcuts

Is there a way to remove Built-In application shortcuts from the Start Menu? I don't mean uninstall the application, but just remove its shortcut; shortcuts (examples in red) as seen in the attached picture.

:)

2. dalchina Win User

Attempting to remove EDGE from the Start menu alphabetical listing

The shortcut is not listed in the start menu folders...

And I'm surprised you see Edge at all if you've done as suggested..

dalchina, Jan 24, 2020
  3. Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10  

Hi, @Brink:

My caffeine titer is low, so I must be missing some blatant, basic step to add a shortcut to my account's All Apps list in the Start menu (Option1).
    The new process both for creating shortcuts and for adding/removing items to the Win10 start menu has me flummoxed.
    Your tutorials are always "topnotch", so this must be a cockpit error on my part.

>I would like to follow the suggestion on page 1 of the wushowhide.diagcab tutorial to add a shortcut in All Apps for my account.

I have d/l the wushowhide.diagcab and saved it to my downloads folder.
    I have done Step 1 on Page 1 of THIS tutorial to navigate to the Start Menu Programs folder.
    But HOW do I actually complete Step 3 to create a shortcut and then add it to the Start Menu "All Apps"??

I think I need to first somehow create a shortcut for the .cab file and then add it to All Apps in the start menu???

Please advise.

Thanks!
    MM

P.S. I have been postponing the probably inevitable installation of Class Shell.
    I would rather not have to install a 3rd-party program to be able to perform basic Windows tasks.
    But this new workflow in Win10 for a basic functionality might force me to do it.
    Sigh.

MoxieMomma, Jan 24, 2020
  4. Removing Start Menu shortcuts

Shortcuts in Start menu keep dissapearing? replaced by default ones.

Hello,

occasionally when i start up my PC (recently after cleaning it) I open the start menu to find that all of my shortcuts are gone, & replaced by the terrible default ones from when you first install Windows. So i remove the default ones, refind, and "pin to start" all MY preferred shortcuts, then a few days later, Poof! theyre gone again replaced by the same terrible "news" "groove music" , "calendar" "win store" etc.. anyone have an idea as to why this might be happening?No updates have occurred in the interim of Both occurrences, so it cant be that

Win 10 Pro 1703
    15063.138 (terrible start menu edition)

thanks

jboydgolfer, Jan 24, 2020
Thema:

Removing Start Menu shortcuts

1. Removing Start Menu shortcuts - Similar Threads - Removing Start Menu

2. Start menu broken shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu broken shortcut: Hello guys, I have an issue here. When I was rearrange my start menu I found a doubled "Word" icon, and I tried to remove it.But when I tried to find this shortcut location with right click then 'more', there is no 'Open file location' option.I've already look in start menu...
  3. Document Shortcuts on Start Menu

Document Shortcuts on Start Menu: I upgraded from 1909 to 20H2. It appears that document shortcuts on startmenu is not longer supported. The shortcuts are still in the StartMenu/Programs folder and function if clicked on directly, but they no longer appear in the start menu and cannot be pinned. I was able...
  4. Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search

in Cortana
    Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search: When I start for Windows settings, such as personalisation, nothing appears. Additionally, shortcuts located in these two locations %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs will not appear in my search. What I...
  5. Cannot remove old Office shortcuts from start menu

Cannot remove old Office shortcuts from start menu: Hi All. We have Windows 10 PC's and have upgraded from Office 2010 to Office 2019. Uninstalled 2010 then installed 2019. After installation and clicking the Start Menu we can see the Office 2019 programs in the list, however when searching from the Start menu for Outlook...
  6. Windows 10 update removes start menu application shortcuts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 update removes start menu application shortcuts: [ATTACH] Why every update of Windows 10 removes the start menu application shortcuts and resets to the default is beyond me, is anyone having the same problem over and over?...
  7. OneDrive Start Menu Shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Start Menu Shortcut: I used to have a shortcut on my Start Menu for OneDrive and no matter what I do I can not get it to stay there any longer....I create a shortcut and the next day its gone again. I really liked having it on the Start Menu instead of the Taskbar. Is there anything I can do??...
  8. Change Start Menu Shortcut

Change Start Menu Shortcut: I recently reinstalled a program and the shortcut in the start menu points to a incorrect location, so the program won't start. How do I change the shortcut to point to the correct location?...
  9. Missing shortcut on Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing shortcut on Start menu: Hi There, So I have a question if is ok. I put a folder on start menu : [img] (The "Downloads" Folder) If I click on it, this happens : [img] What should I do ? 57943
  10. Pin shortcuts to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin shortcuts to Start Menu: What am I missing here? I can pin exe's with a right click but trying to do this with a desktop shortcut does nothing. If it is not allowed, why does the context menu have 'Pin to start' in it? Just wondering. 8914