Windows 10: Removing unused programs from start menu

Discus and support Removing unused programs from start menu in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have several programs listed on my start menu that have been uninstalled, but they're still listed on the start menu. Right clicking them gives... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mr Ed, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Mr Ed Win User

Removing unused programs from start menu

I have several programs listed on my start menu that have been uninstalled, but they're still listed on the start menu. Right clicking them gives several options, but there is no option to delete. How can I do this? Thanks.

:)

Mr Ed, Feb 21, 2018
  2. LraeEL Win User

Most programs at System Configuration (msconfig) are disabled

Most of the non-microsoft programs are stopped. I can't seem to use the start menu and most of my programs are unusable.

LraeEL, Feb 21, 2018
  3. JackPlatt Win User
    How do I get a Program Back to Start List After Removing It?

Dear Microsoft Answers,

The Windows 10 Start Menu has a unique Mostly Used list of programs that it shows. When I right-click and select 'Remove From This List", I accidently removed an application from the list, thinking that it would simply remove the program from the "Most
    Used" part of the list. However, it removes the program from the Start Menu. How do I get the program back on the Start Menu?

Jack

JackPlatt, Feb 21, 2018
  4. mrgeek Win User

r-click ProgIcon/More/Open file location will take you to the hidden folder C:Users/UserName/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs. If it appears in the Start Menu, it will be here to delete, though you may need to repeat for some that don't show up here but in the C:/Windows folder.
    You can also create folders to consolidate, if you wish.

mrgeek, Feb 21, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    Right-click on them, in the More > menu select 'open file location'. This opens File Explorer at the Start menu location where you can delete the shortcut.

6. Bree New Member
    That's the user's personal Start menu. It could equally well take you to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu if the shortcut was installed on the 'all users' Start menu. Either way, it takes you to the shortcut which you can then delete.

7. Brink
    Brink New Member
  8. Mr Ed Win User

Thanks, guys. It worked. I deleted the files in the folder as you suggested and now those apps are gone from the start list. *Smile

Mr Ed, Feb 22, 2018
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Removing unused programs from start menu - Similar Threads - Removing unused programs

2. Remove folder from start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove folder from start menu: I want to remove the applications from the folder. I want them to appear in alphabetical order without being in folder. IT something hard to find an application when it's located in these folder. For example: I want to open windows PowerShell from start menu and I start...
  3. How to remove a no longer installed program from the start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove a no longer installed program from the start menu: I recently Uninstalled Bitdefender from my computer, It completed successfully however it left the program in my start menu without an icon, and when I open it I just get an error. Restarting does not fix it. I can only assume it sees a registry somewhere that mentions the...
  4. Need help removing "ghost" programs from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help removing "ghost" programs from Start Menu: Hi! New member... Now that that's done, I know the title gives me no justice but I don't know what else to call it... Basically I recently repaired my old Win10 OS with a new Win10 iso. Everything worked like a charm except for one thing... I now have program icons from the...
  5. Program missing from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Program missing from Start Menu: I'm running windows 10, build 1607 (work machine, *I* can't update it) A while back, I was trying to create a shortcut to Outlook and accidentally MOVED the shortcut out of the start menu folder. (%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs) I've re-added it, but it...
  6. Remove uninstalled programs from Menu

Remove uninstalled programs from Menu: Hi first post. I installed ImageGlass a while back and realized it was useless after I got Windows Photo Viewer to work via regedit. So then, i uninstalled ImageGlass and went on to use Window Photo Viewer. When I try to set Windows Photo Viewer as my default Photos app, not...
  7. Remove uninstalled programs from Default Programs menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove uninstalled programs from Default Programs menu: Hi first post. I installed ImageGlass a while back and realized it was useless after I got Windows Photo Viewer to work via regedit. I uninstalled ImageGlass afterwards. When I try to set Windows Photo Viewer as my default Photos app, not only is it not there but ImageGlass...
  8. How can I remove programs from start menu Programs?

How can I remove programs from start menu Programs?: I have a lot of programs installed and have my own toolbars to access them. Seeing all those programs on the Programs list of the start menu is distracting. All I really want is the folders that house subprograms. The only option offered is to uninstall but not to remove from...
  9. Add or Remove User Program Groups from Start Menu in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove User Program Groups from Start Menu in Windows: How to: Add or Remove User Program Groups from Start Menu in Windows How to Add or Remove User Program Groups from Start Menu in Windows The Start Menu will show shortcuts of all programs (apps) listed in All Programs (Windows 7) and All Apps (Windows 10). The Start...
  10. Add or Remove Common Program Groups from Start Menu in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Common Program Groups from Start Menu in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Common Program Groups from Start Menu in Windows How to Add or Remove Common Program Groups from Start Menu in Windows The Start Menu will show shortcuts of all programs (apps) listed in All Programs (Windows 7), Apps screen (Windows 8), and All Apps...