Windows 10: Rename a range of file names via Windows Powershell

Discus and support Rename a range of file names via Windows Powershell in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, Does anyone have an idea how to tell Windows Powershell to rename a range of file names? I tried using the following: Dir l rename-item -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DetectiveKn1ght, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Rename a range of file names via Windows Powershell

Hello,

Does anyone have an idea how to tell Windows Powershell to rename a range of file names? I tried using the following:

Dir l rename-item - newname {$_. - replace "1-1..1-30", "E1.1"}

Thought if I used the (..) range marker between the first portion of the file names, it would change. Instead, I keep getting an error.

I'm trying to rename only the first portion of the file names that currently contain a numeric sequence that starts from 1-1 to 1-30 that I want to change to E1.1 to E1.30 without interrupting the rest of the file names. In total, there are 30 file names.

:)

DetectiveKn1ght, Aug 9, 2019

2. Changing File name with PowerShell

Hello Alex,

Option 5 in the tutorial below can show you one way to rename a file along with its file extension using PowerShell.

Rename-Item -Path "Full path of file" -NewName "New
    Name
    " -Force

Rename File in Windows 10

Shawn Brink, Aug 9, 2019
  3. Renaming group of files

REN in Powershell is not the same as REN in CMD.

REN in PowerShell is an Alias for Rename-Item, and it has different behaviours.

To get an example of how to use Rename-Item in Powershell type:

help rename-item -examples

The fourth example that is displayed is this:

Get-ChildItem *.txt | Rename-Item -NewName { $_.name -Replace '\.txt','.log' }

therefore, you need to get a list of the items that you want to rename and rename the items

for example, if I had a folder full of .jpeg files that I wanted to rename to .jpg then I would need to run the following from the directory that holds the files:

Get-ChildItem *.jpeg | Rename-Item -NewName {$_.Name -replace '\.jpeg','.jpg'}

I must admit that it is simpler in DOS with REN

pestell159, Aug 9, 2019
  4. Rename a range of file names via Windows Powershell

Renaming group of files

Hi Richard,

There is a possibility that you are experiencing an issue with renaming the group of files because of a software conflict or damages within the files you are trying to rename. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following
    questions:

• Which build and edition of Windows is installed on your computer?
    • Why are you using the Windows PowerShell instead of File Explorer to rename the files?
    • Is your device connected to a domain network?

PowerShell is usually used by advanced users to troubleshoot problems with Windows. You can visit this
    link as a reference on how to use PowerShell to rename files in bulk.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Aug 9, 2019
Thema:

Rename a range of file names via Windows Powershell

1. Rename a range of file names via Windows Powershell - Similar Threads - Rename range file

2. cant name or rename folders or files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant name or rename folders or files: hi ,whenever i create a new folder it just creates as "new folder" then when i try to rename it ,i press rename and it doesn't do noting not even a error message also when i try SHIFT = LEFT CLICK on it ,it doesnt do noting. also i cant rename all my other files please...
  3. cant name or rename folders or files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant name or rename folders or files: hi ,whenever i create a new folder it just creates as "new folder" then when i try to rename it ,i press rename and it doesn't do noting not even a error message also when i try SHIFT = LEFT CLICK on it ,it doesnt do noting. also i cant rename all my other files please...
  4. Command Prompt Renaming Files with " and ' in the file name.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Command Prompt Renaming Files with " and ' in the file name.: I have a folder with thousands of files with in it. I have been trying to run various batch commands on the files within this folder, however some of these files have " and ' within their filename. Is there some way to either eliminate the problem characters from within the...
  5. PowerShell rename files

PowerShell rename files: Dear team, I have 30,000 .jpg files in a folder and I need to rename them. I am trying to use Windows PowerShell. I want all the files to have a numeric name with 5 digits. For example, I want to do the following: 1.jpg -> 00001.jpg 2.jpg -> 00002.jpg ... 29999.pg...
  6. Batch Rename in Powershell

Batch Rename in Powershell: I'm trying to rename all the image files in a folder by appending a 1- in front of each file name using this command: Dir Rename-Item -NewName {$_.name -replace "IMG_*.*","1-IMG_*.*"} A typical file name is IMG_0001-Wolf.jpg. I get the following error message for each...
  7. Renaming a file into multiple different names

in Windows 10 Support
    Renaming a file into multiple different names: Hi, I'll simplify question, I have one file that needs to be renamed and copied into multiple different names is there any batch in Windows 10 (OS build 18362.476) that I could use, I am also opened for any other suggestions? 145227
  8. deselect a named range

in Microsoft Office and 365
    deselect a named range: Hi all,,, I have selected a range in excel and named it but I now want to deselect it and use it for another range so how can I do that please?. Len 129539
  9. Changing File name with PowerShell

Changing File name with PowerShell: Hello everyone, I am rookie in a power shell, and I will be grateful for some help. I was trying to rename the suffix of filename, but it didn't go very well. Name of my file is: "hello.txt.abcdefg" I want to rename it into "hello.txt". I already tryed something like this:...
  10. Rename Files In Bulk with % in Name

in Windows 10 Support
    Rename Files In Bulk with % in Name: Employee just got a new computer with Windows 10 and has several files that were copied over from another computer that have a % sign in the names. Don't ask me how. She has to rename them. Is there a way to change the % to an underscore in all the files at one time? Thank...