Windows 10: Rename a range of file names via Windows Powershell

Discus and support Rename a range of file names via Windows Powershell in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, Does anyone have an idea how to tell Windows Powershell to rename a range of file names? I tried using the following: Dir l rename-item -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DetectiveKn1ght, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Rename a range of file names via Windows Powershell

Hello,

Does anyone have an idea how to tell Windows Powershell to rename a range of file names? I tried using the following:

Dir l rename-item - newname {$_. - replace "1-1..1-30", "E1.1"}

Thought if I used the (..) range marker between the first portion of the file names, it would change. Instead, I keep getting an error.

I'm trying to rename only the first portion of the file names that currently contain a numeric sequence that starts from 1-1 to 1-30 that I want to change to E1.1 to E1.30 without interrupting the rest of the file names. In total, there are 30 file names.

:)

DetectiveKn1ght, Aug 9, 2019

2. Changing File name with PowerShell

Hello Alex,

Option 5 in the tutorial below can show you one way to rename a file along with its file extension using PowerShell.

Rename-Item -Path "Full path of file" -NewName "New
    Name
    " -Force

Rename File in Windows 10

Shawn Brink, Aug 9, 2019
  3. Renaming group of files

REN in Powershell is not the same as REN in CMD.

REN in PowerShell is an Alias for Rename-Item, and it has different behaviours.

To get an example of how to use Rename-Item in Powershell type:

help rename-item -examples

The fourth example that is displayed is this:

Get-ChildItem *.txt | Rename-Item -NewName { $_.name -Replace '\.txt','.log' }

therefore, you need to get a list of the items that you want to rename and rename the items

for example, if I had a folder full of .jpeg files that I wanted to rename to .jpg then I would need to run the following from the directory that holds the files:

Get-ChildItem *.jpeg | Rename-Item -NewName {$_.Name -replace '\.jpeg','.jpg'}

I must admit that it is simpler in DOS with REN

pestell159, Aug 9, 2019
  4. Rename a range of file names via Windows Powershell

Renaming group of files

Hi Richard,

There is a possibility that you are experiencing an issue with renaming the group of files because of a software conflict or damages within the files you are trying to rename. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following
    questions:

• Which build and edition of Windows is installed on your computer?
    • Why are you using the Windows PowerShell instead of File Explorer to rename the files?
    • Is your device connected to a domain network?

PowerShell is usually used by advanced users to troubleshoot problems with Windows. You can visit this
    link as a reference on how to use PowerShell to rename files in bulk.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Aug 9, 2019
Thema:

Rename a range of file names via Windows Powershell

1. Rename a range of file names via Windows Powershell - Similar Threads - Rename range file

2. OneDrive configuration via PowerShell

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OneDrive configuration via PowerShell: Hi, after first launch and configuration of Win10, the last part which is not done automatically in my Script is OneDrive configuration. Is it possible to somehow run OneDrive from PS and then let it configure itself with already registered credentials for...
  3. deselect a named range

in Microsoft Office and 365
    deselect a named range: Hi all,,, I have selected a range in excel and named it but I now want to deselect it and use it for another range so how can I do that please?. Len 129539
  4. Changing File name with PowerShell

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing File name with PowerShell: Hello everyone, I am rookie in a power shell, and I will be grateful for some help. I was trying to rename the suffix of filename, but it didn't go very well. Name of my file is: "hello.txt.abcdefg" I want to rename it into "hello.txt". I already tryed something like this:...
  5. Unable to rename files and folders accessed via a junction

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to rename files and folders accessed via a junction: I am using an NTFS junction "C:\foobar" to access a folder that actually resides in "C:\Users\myid\Documents\foobar". Trying to sketch this: C:\foobar------------------------------+ | V C:\Users\myid\Documents\foobar\.....loooong paths here.... The reason for using such a...
  6. no internet via wifi range extender

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    no internet via wifi range extender: windows 10 installed major updates this morning now I cannot get onto the internet via my range extender this has always been intermittent in the past but could get it to work eventually I have run the connection diagnostics and its telling me there are components missing and...
  7. File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying: Quite frankly I'm surprised no one has brought this up (or I am using the wrong search terms). When copying files in explorer, Windows 7 (I can't remember anything older than that LOL) I am asked what I want to do with copying files that have the same name as existing files...
  8. How to automatically rename my mp3 file name to the lrc file name?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to automatically rename my mp3 file name to the lrc file name?: Hi , is there a way or a program to automatically rename mp3 lyrics file(.lrc) to the same name as my mp3 files? i am asking this because windows media player requires both the mp3 and lyrics to be the same name to recognize and play the lyrics. 56506
  9. Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names

in Windows 10 Support
    Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names: I have a new laptop, so unless this is some weird feature that's specific to the laptop, then I assume it's a Windows 10 settings issue because I've never encountered anything like this before. I downloaded several JPGs and PDFs from various emails and began to change the...
  10. Rename Files In Bulk with % in Name

in Windows 10 Support
    Rename Files In Bulk with % in Name: Employee just got a new computer with Windows 10 and has several files that were copied over from another computer that have a % sign in the names. Don't ask me how. She has to rename them. Is there a way to change the % to an underscore in all the files at one time? Thank...