Windows 10: Rename File in Windows 10

Discus and support Rename File in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Rename File in Windows 10 How to Rename File in Windows 10 This tutorial will show you different ways to rename a file in Windows 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 9, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Rename File in Windows 10

How to: Rename File in Windows 10

How to Rename File in Windows 10

This tutorial will show you different ways to rename a file in Windows 10.

*note If a file is currently in use, for example by a program, Windows will not allow you to rename it.

*note If you rename more than one file at the same time, the new name for each folder will be new file name, new file name (1), new file name (2), etc...

*Warning Be careful to not change the file extension of a file when renaming the file. Doing so will change its file type, and break the file until the extension is changed back.

*note When you rename a file in Windows, the name cannot contain any of the following characters: \ / : * ? " < > |

Rename File in Windows 10 [​IMG]

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] Rename File using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. While on your desktop (Win+D) or in File Explorer (Win+E), select the file(s) you want to rename. (see screenshot below)

2. Press the F2 key.

3. Type a new name for the file(s), and press Enter or click/tap on another area.

OPTION TWO [/i] Rename File from File Explorer Ribbon
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

2. Navigate to and select the file(s) you want to delete. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Home tab, and click/tap on the Rename button in the ribbon.

4. Type a new name for the file(s), and press Enter or click/tap on another area. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] Rename File from Context Menu
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

2. Navigate to and select the file(s) you want to rename.

3. Perform the action you want to do below: (see screenshot below)
    A) Right click or press and hold on the selected file(s), and either press the M key or click/tap on Rename.

OR

B) Press and hold Shift key and right click on the selected file(s), release the Shift key, and either press the M key or click/tap on Rename.

4. Type a new name for the file(s), and press Enter or click/tap on another area. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] Rename File from Properties
    1. While on your desktop (Win+D) or in File Explorer (Win+E), navigate to the file you want to rename.

2. Right click or press and hold on the file you want to rename, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

3. In the General tab, type a new name in the top field, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] Rename File in PowerShell
    *note For more Rename-Item command usage details, see: Rename-Item | Microsoft Docs
    1. Open elevated PowerShell depending on the required rights to rename the file you want.

2. Type the command below into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Rename-Item -Path "Full path of file" -NewName "New Name" -Force

*note Substitute Full path of file in the command above with the actual full path of the file with file extension you want to rename.

Substitute New Name in the command above with the actual new name with file extension you want to rename the file.

For example: Rename-Item -Path "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\File.txt" -NewName "File new name.txt" -Force

3. When finished, you can close the Powershell window if you like.

OPTION SIX [/i] Rename File in Command Prompt
    *note For more ren command usage details, see: ren | Microsoft Docs
    1. Open a elevated command prompt depending on the required rights to rename the file you want.

2. Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow ren "Full path of file" "New Name"

*note Substitute Full path of folder in the command above with the actual full path of the file with file extension you want to rename.

Substitute New Name in the command above with the actual new name with file extension you want to rename the file.

For example: ren "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\File.txt" "File new name.txt"

3. When finished, you can close the command prompt window if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 9, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Having trouble renaming files in windows 10.

Hi Varin,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

As you are unable to rename the files I understand the inconvenience. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Were you able to see any error code/ error message with this issue?
    • Is this issue confined to any particular file in any specific folder/ drive?

Try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to boot the computer to Safe Mode and check if the issue occurs or not. In Safe Mode computer starts with minimal set of drivers and files.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Step 2: I suggest you to perform
    Clean boot to avoid any third party software conflict.

Disclaimer: Putting your system in
    Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Step 3: I suggest you to boot the device to Normal mode and check if the issue persists.

Follow the below steps to place the computer in normal mode:

• Press Windows + R keys to open Run
      command.
    • Type msconfig and press Enter.
    • In the System Configuration window, click on
      General tab.
    • Select Start-up selection as Normal startup, click on
      Apply and Ok.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Rename File in Windows 10

Renaming local files and folders issue

Hi,

To further assist you with renaming local files and folders, we suggest for you to check this

link
    and see the steps which has the marked as answer.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Oct 27, 2019
  5. amd5750m Win User
    rename inf

I have a 7670m 1gb driver crimson legacy, how to rename my 7670m (which in driver detects as 7600m) to 8670m?

I am something new in this I would appreciate it if you would give me all the steps since I am very interested

I use win 7

his is what I try to do but not rename these files

Does someone have a step for newbies?

this is more or less the idea in the link

16.101.X [Pre-GCN driver pack]

amd5750m, Oct 27, 2019
  6. mixa Win User
    Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

Rename File in Windows 10 wie1.png

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

Thema:

Rename File in Windows 10

1. Rename File in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Rename File

2. How do you fix when you can't delete, move or rename files and folders in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you fix when you can't delete, move or rename files and folders in windows 10?: Windows 10Intel Core i5 3.30GHz4GB ram64-bit operating system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-fix-when-you-cant-delete-move-or-rename/d7089418-dc61-4cf1-969e-64ad662340c9
  3. How do you fix when you can't delete, move or rename files and folders in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you fix when you can't delete, move or rename files and folders in windows 10?: Windows 10Intel Core i5 3.30GHz4GB ram64-bit operating system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-fix-when-you-cant-delete-move-or-rename/d7089418-dc61-4cf1-969e-64ad662340c9
  4. How do you fix when you can't delete, move or rename files and folders in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Deleting, moving or renaming certain files either takes way too long or crashes file manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting, moving or renaming certain files either takes way too long or crashes file manager: I've been having this issue for months now, and I still don't know how to fix it. Sometimes I have to even use aps like FileASSASSIN to remove some files, due to it crashing all the time.Sometimes it just doesn't show or do anything when I do something with my files, or the...
  6. Deleting, moving or renaming certain files either takes way too long or crashes file manager

Deleting, moving or renaming certain files either takes way too long or crashes file manager: I've been having this issue for months now, and I still don't know how to fix it. Sometimes I have to even use aps like FileASSASSIN to remove some files, due to it crashing all the time.Sometimes it just doesn't show or do anything when I do something with my files, or the...
  7. Deleting, moving or renaming certain files either takes way too long or crashes file manager

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. I used the Python os.rename function to rename a file with an invalid character

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I used the Python os.rename function to rename a file with an invalid character: I am using Windows 10, and I used the Python os.rename function to forcefully rename one of my file names with an invalid character '/?\'. After doing so, the file disappeared. I am wondering if the file was simply deleted, or if there are any hidden risks involved....
  9. I used the Python os.rename function to rename a file with an invalid character

I used the Python os.rename function to rename a file with an invalid character: I am using Windows 10, and I used the Python os.rename function to forcefully rename one of my file names with an invalid character '/?\'. After doing so, the file disappeared. I am wondering if the file was simply deleted, or if there are any hidden risks involved....
  10. I used the Python os.rename function to rename a file with an invalid character

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing