Windows 10: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Discus and support Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Hello Scorpio, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile If it's asking for a key, then it may not have been activated previously?? Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Night Hawk, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Hello Scorpio, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If it's asking for a key, then it may not have been activated previously??

Brink, Aug 20, 2015
  2. ScorpioST Win User

Activated no problem, under system it says "windows is activated"......maybe I'll just create a new user profile and copy over my stuff?

ScorpioST, Aug 20, 2015
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If it's activated, there's no need to create a new profile unless you have some issue with it.

Brink, Aug 20, 2015
  4. ScorpioST Win User

Just trying to fix windows store, somethings corrupted somewhere.

ScorpioST, Aug 20, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 20, 2015
  6. ScorpioST Win User
    Yup, tried all that. Saw the other thread where the repair fixed the same problem. Only difference is I used USB rather than ISO, but I can't see that making any difference with this key thing?

ScorpioST, Aug 20, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It shouldn't if it's the same language, edition, and version that you currently have installed.

Brink, Aug 20, 2015
  8. ScorpioST Win User

Well I tried the iso rather than usb, must have messed up the usb creation somehow, repair done and windows store now works!

ScorpioST, Aug 20, 2015
  9. alexm1 Win User
    I have the same problem, the store opens and then closes, I am unable to download from it.
    I have completed the two tutorials and done a clean install (also from a USB). Problem still there. All else works well.
    Had several issues initially, turned out to be bitdefender firewall.
    I am out of things to try re the store.
    Alex.
    Edit, just saw your note re the ISO, will try that. Thanks.

alexm1, Aug 20, 2015
  10. I have another rather interesting problem being first seen with 10 going onto a 7 Home laptop and changing that over from the 32bit Home Premium to 64bit 10 Home flavor and upon arriving at the desktop nothing appeared in Settings and the Apps menu saw S and P up where the D and E letters were overlaying things! I will now be working on the clean install assuming 10 was activated but still missing thing during the upgrade.

Night Hawk, Aug 20, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news *Party

Brink, Aug 20, 2015
  12. As I started to say before I just saw another batched up upgrade here with a twist this time around of not seeing the Start button and as you know other things like a blank screen when going into Settings and not able to open Apps resulted in the immediate clean install to find out if the upgrade had actually activated before proceeding to go from the 32bit 7 Home Premium to 64bit 10 Pro. The second clean install going from the 32bit 10 Home to 64bit flavor is running nicely thank you! *Biggrin

But not everyone is in such a good place where they can always see that however as I found out head on when the first build's upgrade from 7 was pooched and that saw the upgrade repair work out surprisingly well. That's when the upgrade to repair and still keep many things intact while others packed away in the Windows.old was a big help for the first week of 10 anyways.

One other thing I continue to notice is that 10 has fewer folders seen at the root of C: while the Quick Access and six folders seen in File Explorer simply have the shortcuts to those found under "users". You no longer see the Perflogs folder on C; and the AppsData under your user account meaning less clutter.

Night Hawk, Aug 20, 2015
  13. alexm1 Win User

I decided to redo the USB copy and then followed the tutorial. Went to plan until the "copy files" finished. I got a message that check disk was checking D drive (the USB dive with the new windows 10), after a couple of seconds it said repaired and proceeded with the install and all works!
    Must have been something on the USB that was less than perfect but this time the system fixed it.

alexm1, Aug 25, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news Alex. *Smile

Brink, Aug 25, 2015
  15. acmanten Win User
    Thanks for posting all this... I will be saving it as "Keep-Reference... HOW to Ten"

acmanten, Aug 25, 2015
Thema:

1. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Similar Threads - Repair Install place

2. Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: I try to repair my windows 10 but following procedure Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade, after reboot appear this message: 0xC1+00202 - 0x30018 The installation failed in phase FIRST_BOOT with an error during the operation SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE Please how...
  3. Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: I try to repair my windows 10 but following procedure Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade, after reboot appear this message: 0xC1+00202 - 0x30018 The installation failed in phase FIRST_BOOT with an error during the operation SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE Please how...
  4. Repair install/in-place upgrade not proceeding normally

Repair install/in-place upgrade not proceeding normally: I am confused... After problems with the 2021-06 cumulative update for x64 machines, I had to uninstall the latest quality update. Now having different problems (no sound devices detected), I wanted to try an in-place/repair install. Using the Media Creation Tool, I...
  5. Repair Install (in place upgrade) question

Repair Install (in place upgrade) question: Ive got a new Dell laptop arriving later in the week. I normally clean install and blow away the partitions using a Media Creation Tool created flash drive which gets rid of bloatware as well. Im doing things differently this time though. It has a some useful software pre...
  6. "repair install" or "in place upgrade" is broken in 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "repair install" or "in place upgrade" is broken in 20H2: You cannot to a "repair install" or "in place upgrade" and keep files and apps with 20H2. It works fine with 2004. The installation media will not allow you to keep your files and apps. All other options other than "Nothing" are greyed out. To be clear, you CAN upgrade from...
  7. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade ..error

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade ..error: I follow exactly these istructions Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade and i select to not update drivers etc.. and also if i select to update drivers etc.. but after reboot i have the error on image Please can you suggest me? Thank Hispa P.S. Secure boot is...
  8. Effects of a repair install in-place upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Effects of a repair install in-place upgrade: Will a repair installor inplace upgrade remove any of my software? I have photoshop on my computer and have lost the cd, so Id rater not have it removed. Do you think this will happen?...
  9. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-Place Upgrade fails...

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-Place Upgrade fails...: Yesterday I attempted a Repair Install of Windows 10 with Media Creation Tool as per the TenForums Tutorial but for some reason it all went pear-shaped… I downloaded and ran the Media Creation Tool (1803) and get the following screens:- “Getting a few things ready”...
  10. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: Hi , I want to do a repair install of windows 10 ( new 1607) with an in-place upgrade using DVD media ( .iso 1607 , engl/us ,all the same ) because of corrupted files although windows operation so far is good . sfc /scannow , command prompt > DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...