Windows 10: "Required device isn't connected/can't be accessed" after SSD replace

Discus and support "Required device isn't connected/can't be accessed" after SSD replace in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Today, I got a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD. Intending to replace my hard drive, I connected it with an optical drive adapter caddy and cloned my current... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by clmc99, Dec 25, 2016.

1. clmc99 Win User

"Required device isn't connected/can't be accessed" after SSD replace

Today, I got a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD. Intending to replace my hard drive, I connected it with an optical drive adapter caddy and cloned my current HDD (500 GB, 202 GB used) with Easeus Todo Backup Free. I used Partition Master to create an NTFS partition from the remaining unallocated space (about 450 GB) on the SSD, then merged the two to create a partition with about 900 GB of total space. Assuming that the SSD would be bootable, I swapped the HDD and the SSD, with the SSD in the normal hard disk slot and the old hard drive in the caddy. I shut down the computer, checked the boot order to make sure that everything looked right, and booted up, only to find that it had booted with the old HDD. The SSD didn't show up in Explorer. I shut down and tried detaching and re-attaching the SSD. This time, it seemed to fit a little better; when I checked the boot order, there was a new device, a Samsung SSD, on the menu. I moved it to position 2, just below Windows Boot Manager (where the old HDD had always been), and booted. It booted with my old hard drive again. This time, the SSD did show up in Explorer. I tried shutting down again and removed the caddy with my old hard drive. When I tried to boot, I got "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed" error message. I finally gave up and put the old hard drive and optical drive back in, which I am using now with no problems. Do I need to do something to transfer the operating system onto the new SSD? As far as I can tell, the entire drive has been cloned. Thanks for the help.

:)

clmc99, Dec 25, 2016

2. Windows 10 won't start

I can't get my Dell pc to start with Windows 10, though it was running it fine yesterday. The boot manager message states "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed". The hard drive appears to be running so I'm at a loss. the status code is
    0xc0000225 if that's any help.

jim gruber, Dec 25, 2016
  3. WINDOWS 10,VERSION 1703 - Installation problem

None of these worked. Cannot do system restore from advanced options. Message says " To use system restore, you must specify a restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system, and then select system restore. Unfortunately when I restart
    my computer I can't get past the blue screen showing error message 0xcc000000d a required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

VincePisano, Dec 25, 2016
  4. Total Win User

HI : I transferred everything from my old harddrive to my new bigger Samsung SSD with "Samsung Data Migration Software " from here , Did not have to do anything else , except wait for it to finish . When the software finished , make sure to disconnect the old drive then connect only the new one . For the first boot anyway ..

Total, Dec 26, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Dec 26, 2016
  6. clmc99 Win User
    I've read some more about the issue and it seems that the primary partition must be made active; however, it is a GPT partition and diskpart can't make GPT partitions active. Disk 0 is the SSD and Disk 1 is my old hard drive (the one that my computer is currently running off of).

"Required device isn't connected/can't be accessed" after SSD replace [​IMG]

clmc99, Dec 26, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would make a bootable USB flash drive of Kyhi's Recovery Tools:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Boot the computer from it and run Macrium Reflect. Under the restore menu is a utility to Fix Windows startup problems. run that utility and set the EFI System Partition on the SSD to boot the desired operating system(s).

NavyLCDR, Dec 26, 2016
  8. clmc99 Win User

Update: It's now working. I re-cloned the drive with AOMEI Backupper (with sector-by-sector clone, optimize for SSD, and shutdown after completed enabled) and tried to boot. I didn't work, so I used Windows Media Creation Tool to make a Windows 10 installation DVD. I booted with the DVD, clicked the "Repair your computer" option, and went into the command prompt. I ran a few Bootrec commands, shutdown, went into the boot priority order and set the SSD as #1, and then booted successfully with the SSD. Thanks for the help!

clmc99, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. "Required device isn't connected/can't be accessed" after SSD replace - Similar Threads - Required device isn't

2. Getting required device isn't connected or can't be accessed when booting from that drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting required device isn't connected or can't be accessed when booting from that drive: I recently added a 256gb drive that I had laying around that has windows 10 on it and I want to be able to boot from it. I connected it as my e drive and I can see files on it and I actually successfully restored from a backup, but I can't boot from it.I tried repairing...
  3. Getting required device isn't connected or can't be accessed when booting from that drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting required device isn't connected or can't be accessed when booting from that drive: I recently added a 256gb drive that I had laying around that has windows 10 on it and I want to be able to boot from it. I connected it as my e drive and I can see files on it and I actually successfully restored from a backup, but I can't boot from it.I tried repairing...
  4. Getting required device isn't connected or can't be accessed when booting from that drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. error 0xc000000e "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed"

error 0xc000000e "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed": I unplugged the other storage devices that my OS wasn't installed on and it allowed me to boot up until I hit a black screen saying to "Reboot and Select a proper media device"There's one problem with that... my KEYBOARD doesn't work when the computer boots up again and...
  6. A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error code: 0xc000000e

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error code: 0xc000000e: I received the error code - A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error code: 0xc000000e I tried all of the fixes on the internet to fix it and nothing worked. Really disappointed that the windows repair tool would not repair it. So I went and bought a...
  7. "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed" Error 0x000000e on Windows 10

"A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed" Error 0x000000e on Windows 10: I wanted to install an SSD in a Laptop with 2 HDDs, one of which is not used. I took out the HDD which was not used, replacing it with the SSD and leaving the HDD with thecurrent Windows 10 Operating system. I then installed Windows 10 from media creation on the new SSD. But...
  8. Windows 10 - BSOD ""a required device isn't connected or can't be accessed 0xc00000f"...

Windows 10 - BSOD ""a required device isn't connected or can't be accessed 0xc00000f"...: Hi, Windows is trying to install latest updates I think it's 1903/1909, but during the installation process after the second or third reboot I get this dreaded BSOD. I can repair the machine using a Restore Point, but the problem returns the next time the Update installs....
  9. A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed: Hello. I have the following problem: "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed". I56400 Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P SSD 128Gb Kingstone HDD 1Tb Samsung Fresh windows installed this morning and after 5-6 hours PC crashed with this error: " A required device...
  10. Error code 0xc00000e A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Works after I...

Error code 0xc00000e A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Works after I...: When I launch my PC after it has been off for a while it gives the information listed in the title. I then push escape to enter the bios and then launch windows from the bios with no issues. I've tried looking for a solution but I couldn't find one exactly like my issue....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. a required device isnt connected or cant be accessed 970 evo

2. 0xcc000000d

3. installed ssd require device isnt connected or cant be accessed