Windows 10: Reserving disk space to keep Windows 10 up to date

Discus and support Reserving disk space to keep Windows 10 up to date in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Starting with the next major update we’re making a few changes to how Windows 10 manages disk space. Through reserved storage, some disk space will be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Brink Win User

Reserving disk space to keep Windows 10 up to date

Source: Windows 10 and reserved storage | Storage at Microsoft

:)

Brink, Jan 7, 2019
  2. Anne Ros Win User

Disk space

Hi,

Windows create a special partition when installed on a new disk. This is usually under the name System Reserved. This partition contains these two important things:

• Boot Manager and Boot Configuration Data
    • Startup files used for BitLocker Drive Encryption

These two should not be deleted as it is essential for booting and Bitlocker drive encryption. Regarding Windows upgrade, it will not take the allotted space for the System Reserved Partition. It will just take the remaining space outside of it. If you have
    30 GB of space, and 13.5 GB is for the System Reserved, then whatever amount of space is remaining on the C drive less than all the installed apps and stored files, then that's what the Windows upgrade will take.

Hope this answers your query. Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Anne Ros, Jan 7, 2019
  3. Low Disk Space error

Hi,

I suggest you to delete the unwanted applications or games installed on the device and also perform a Disk Cleanup.

In order to delete the games or applications, which has been downloaded from the Windows Store you need to right click on the game and select
    Uninstall option from the Start menu.

If the games that you are downloaded are .exe or the applications which are not downloaded from the Windows Store, you may try deleting it from the Control panel.

To do so, please follow the below steps.

• Right Click on Start Menu.
    • Open Control Panel.
    • Click Programs.
    • Click Programs and Features.
    • Click on the programs that you would like to uninstall.
    I suggest you to try the steps in the following article to free up space and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/free-up-drive-space

Also, refer to the Wiki Article created by
    Andre Da Costa
    from the below link:

How to free up disk space in Windows

How to free up disk space in Windows

Hope it helps. Revert to us with the results, will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan Babu ER, Jan 7, 2019
  4. Rey Bel1 Win User

windows 10 system and reserve taking up too much space

Hi,

Windows Restore Points does eat up tremendous amount of your disk space and clearing it would indeed help free up some space. Aside from restore points, there are other invisible factors that can eat away your hard drive space like temporary and cached files.
    For us to better understand why you keep on getting error messages about your storage space being full, we would like to ask the following questions:

• When did you first encounter the issue?
    • Which Windows version and build is you device running? Type winver on the search bar, and then press
      Enter to find out.
    • What specific error message or error code did you get?
    • Could you repost the screenshots again?

In the meantime, we suggest you check the steps provided by Greg Carmack on this

thread
    about clearing system and reserve after an upgrade and see if it helps.

We look forward to your response.

Rey Bel1, Jan 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Reserving disk space to keep Windows 10 up to date - Similar Threads - Reserving disk space

2. System and reserved taking up a lot of space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System and reserved taking up a lot of space: I'm trying to install some games on my laptop 512 GB SSD and went to check on my storage to see what I can delete. Then I realized that system and reserve is taking up 234 GB of storage. When I looked into the details, it said System files 20.1 GB, Reserved storage 7.04 GB,...
  3. System and reserved taking up a lot of space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System and reserved taking up a lot of space: I'm trying to install some games on my laptop 512 GB SSD and went to check on my storage to see what I can delete. Then I realized that system and reserve is taking up 234 GB of storage. When I looked into the details, it said System files 20.1 GB, Reserved storage 7.04 GB,...
  4. System & Reserve gobbling up all disk space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System & Reserve gobbling up all disk space: HiI am on Windows 10 Version 1809 OS Build 17758.1. My OS is installed on a 1 TB SSDI have a very strange issue. When I see all the folders, including hidden files & directories, on C drive, it totals to about 335 GB. WinDirStat confirms it.However, explorer thinks I have...
  5. Disk Cleanup to Free up disk space in Windows 10

Disk Cleanup to Free up disk space in Windows 10: This instruction helps you clean up temporary and unnecessary system files on your Windows to free up space Step 1: Open disk clean up with Clean up system file enabled Step 2: Clean up System Restore and Shadow Copies Step 3: Clean up Temporary files Step 4: Check for...
  6. Disk Cleanup to Free up disk space in Windows 10

Disk Cleanup to Free up disk space in Windows 10: This instruction helps you clean up temporary and unnecessary system files on your Windows to free up space From the original post here: https://huntertran.com/2020/11/23/disk-cleanup-to-free-disk-space/ Step 1: Open disk clean up with Clean up system file enabled Type...
  7. disk space keeps shrinking

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    disk space keeps shrinking: hi my disk space on my hard drive keeps shrinking, i did a factory reset and its back to normal but now its shrinking every day, i have installed nothing on it except chrome and firefox and just use it for browsing. i read to disable sys protection and del restore points,...
  8. Frequent message: low disk space on system reserved

Frequent message: low disk space on system reserved: I get the following message frequently: I look at the properties in File Explorer, it is all used-up, 0 space free. I open the Disk Cleanup and this is what it shows: There is nothing to cleanup … what do I do now?...
  9. System & Reserved taking huge hard disk space in Windows 10

System & Reserved taking huge hard disk space in Windows 10: Hi! My system disk system files take 111gb of memory. I cleaned WinSxS folder but still its a lot of memory. I checked C:\Windows\Logs\CBS but its only 271mb. What can i do to clean my disk? Thanks...
  10. you are running out of disk space on system reserved - Windows 10 -

you are running out of disk space on system reserved - Windows 10 -: Hello, Happy to Microsoft Community Celebrating 10 Years. How can I solve this problem? I should extend System Reserved Partition with 3rd party software? Is extend System Reserved Partition dangerously? and can be damage Windows? Thanks [ATTACH]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. KB4507460 disk space