Windows 10: Start or Stop Receiving Insider Preview Builds in Windows 10

Discus and support Start or Stop Receiving Insider Preview Builds in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Start or Stop Receiving Insider Preview Builds in Windows 10 How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Preview Builds in Windows 10 Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Night Hawk, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Start or Stop Receiving Insider Preview Builds in Windows 10

How to: Start or Stop Receiving Insider Preview Builds in Windows 10

How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Preview Builds in Windows 10

Windows Insider Preview is here today, and Microsoft is already working on the next version to bring you more great features. Join the Windows Insider Program to make sure you get all the new features that are on the way. If youre okay with a moving target and dont want to miss out on the latest stuff, keep reading. Insider Preview could be just your thing.

Get Insider preview builds only if you
    • Want to try out software that’s still in development and like sharing your opinion about it.
    • Don’t mind lots of updates or a UI design that might change significantly over time.
    • Really know your way around a PC and feel comfortable troubleshooting problems, backing up data, formatting a hard drive, installing an operating system from scratch, or restoring your old one if necessary.
    • Know what an ISO file is and how to use it.
    • Aren't installing it on your everyday computer.
    For more details, see:
    Starting with Windows 10 build 18312, Microsoft simplified the Windows Insider Program Settings page. The goal is to make the end-to-end experience of signing up for the Windows Insider Program and setting up your PC to take new builds much easier by simplifying the experience and removing some of the clutter. Youll find that all the same functionality is still there.

Starting with Windows 10 build 19018, Microsoft will not be offering Skip Ahead as an option for Insiders to sign-up for.

This tutorial will show you how to start or stop receiving Insider Preview builds for your Windows 10 PC at any time.

You must be signed in as an administrator to start or stop Insider builds.

New Insider builds will be available through Windows Update.

Installing Windows 10 Insider Preview on a device that never had an activated copy of Windows 10 on it will require using a Windows 10 product key or buying genuine Windows from the Windows Store. This also applies if the new installation is for an edition of Windows 10 that wasn’t previously activated on the device.

If you’re reinstalling Windows 10 Insider Preview, automatic activation occurs by digital entitlement if the same edition of Windows 10 or Windows 10 Insider Preview (builds newer than 10240) was already activated on the device.

Contents
    • Option One: Start Receiving Insider Preview Builds for your Windows 10 PC in Settings
    • Option Two: Stop Receiving Insider Preview Builds for your Windows 10 PC in Settings
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Insider Preview Builds for your Windows 10 PC using Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable Insider Preview Builds for your Windows 10 PC using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Start Receiving Insider Preview Builds for your Windows 10 PC in Settings
    1 While signed in to Windows 10 with your Microsoft account, open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & security icon.

2 Click/tap on Windows Insider Program on the left side, and click/tap on the Get started button on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Start or Stop Receiving Insider Preview Builds in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3 Click/tap on Link an account. (see screenshot below)

4 Select your Microsoft account, and click/tap on Continue. (see screenshot below)

If your Microsoft account is not listed, then you can click/tap on the Microsoft account option instead under Use a different account to add it.

5 Select the Slow, Fast, Release Preview, or Skip Ahead Insider ring you want to join, and click/tap on Confirm. (see screenshots below)

[table][tr][td]Ring[/td] [td]Description[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Slow[/td] [td]Preview the latest builds of Windows with minimal risk to your device. You will get an OS update once or twice a month, which will require a reboot.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Fast[/td] [td]Be the first to give Microsoft feedback on the newest preview builds of Windows. You will get an OS update once or twice a week, which will require a reboot.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Release Preview[/td] [td]Stay on a retail build of Windows but get a sneak peek at on-going development of apps, drivers, and other quality updates.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Skip[/td] [td]Skip ahead to the next version of Windows[/td] [/tr] [/table]

6 Click/tap on Confirm. (see screenshot below)

7 Click/tap on Restart now to apply. (see screenshot below)

Be sure to save and close anything you have open first.

8 Check for updates to see if you have a new Insider Preview build available to download and install.

9 When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Stop Receiving Insider Preview Builds for your Windows 10 PC in Settings
    After you’ve been an Insider for a while and tried out the latest builds, you might find that you need to opt your PC out of receiving Insider builds. There are a few reasons why you might want to opt out:

1) You're running a production build, meaning a general public release, and you really like it. The build is stable enough for you, and you want to stay with it and not get a potentially risky update.

2) The builds are making it too hard to use your device, you’re running into too many problems, and simply are no longer enjoying the experience. You want to return your PC to the operating system you were using before you became an Insider.

3) You’ve been receiving builds on a PC that you now need for important tasks, and you need it to be stable and not taking updates.

1 While signed in to Windows 10 with your Microsoft account, open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & security icon.

2 Click/tap on Windows Insider Program on the left side, and turn on Stop getting preview builds on the right side. (see screenshot below)

This will opt this device out of flighting when the next major release of Windows 10 is installed.

3 You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable Insider Preview Builds for your Windows 10 PC using Local Group Policy Editor
    This option will override Option One and Option FTwo above.

The Local Group Policy Editor will only be available in the Windows Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Four below.

1 Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2 In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update\Windows Update for Business

3. In the right pane of Windows Update for Business in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Manage preview builds policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4 Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5 To Enable Insider Preview Builds
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

Not Configured is the default setting.

6 To Disable Insider Preview Builds
    A) Select (dot) Enabled. (see screenshot below)

B) Under Options, select Disable preview builds or Disable preview builds once next release is public in the drop menu for what you want.

Selecting Disable preview builds will prevent preview builds from installing on the device. This will prevent users from opting into the Windows Insider Program, through Settings -> Update and Security.

Selecting Disable preview builds once next release is public will prevent preview builds from installing once the next Windows release is public. This option is useful when your device is set up to install preview and you want to gracefully opt out the device for flighting. This option will provide preview builds until devices reaches the next public release.

C) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below.

7 When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Enable or Disable Insider Preview Builds for your Windows 10 PC using a REG file
    This option will override Option One and Option Two above.

The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD values in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

ManagePreviewBuilds DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

ManagePreviewBuildsPolicyValue DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    0 = Disable preview builds
    1 = Disable preview builds once next release is public

1 Do step 2 (enable), step 3 (disable), or step 4 (disable next release) below for what you would like to do.

2 To Enable Insider Preview Builds
    This is the default setting.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Enable_Insider_preview_builds.reg

Download

3 To Disable Insider Preview Builds
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Disable_Insider_preview_builds.reg

Download

4 To Disable Insider Preview Builds Once Next Release is Public

Disable_Insider_preview_builds_once_next_release_is_public.reg

Download
    5 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7 When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8 You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Night Hawk, Aug 19, 2015
  2. samsingla Win User

Insider Preview Opt out permanently

I am on build 10565, and I want to permanently opt out of Insider preview builds.

Under Advanced update options, if I click on Stop Insider Preview builds. it gives me a pop-up window. There is a link inside the window to 'Stop receiving Insider Preview builds' which redirects to here - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10/stop-receiving-builds

This page advises the user to go to advanced options and click on Stop Insider preview. Stuck in loop here. Can someone please help?

Also, is there a way to go back to 10240 from 10565?

samsingla, Aug 19, 2015
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 19, 2015
  4. TONPumper Win User

Start or Stop Receiving Insider Preview Builds in Windows 10

I can't get the latest build to show in my updates. When I go to advanced options, the button to "Get Started" is greyed out.

TONPumper, Sep 6, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello TON, *Smile

Are you signed in to Windows 10 with a Microsoft account?

Brink, Sep 6, 2015
  6. TONPumper Win User
    Yes

TONPumper, Sep 6, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 6, 2015
  8. TONPumper Win User

I have mine set to full and when I click on get started, I get an error message from the website to try again to sign in.

TONPumper, Sep 6, 2015
  9. By default the "Feedback Frequency should also be set for automatic on the setting above that. When clicking on the Get started here I will immediately see the three screen shown in Steps 4, 5, and 6 under Option One without any problem when signed in by the MS account here.

Did you create an MS account when setting 10 up or have already to use in order to sign in with? If you are only signing in on the desktop with the local account option that will result in seeing errors since you are providing the site with any credentials to allow access. You may just have to resign in with your account to proceed any further if you do have an existing account but used the local account option to arrive at the desktop automatically not having a password or pin code assigned. I have to log out here at times when using that in order to access either the Mail app or Windows Live essentials.

Night Hawk, Sep 6, 2015
  10. TONPumper Win User
    I created a local account the first time I installed Windows 10. I created an MS account because Windows told me that I had to create one. How do I sign in with my local account again?

TONPumper, Sep 6, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 6, 2015
  12. TONPumper Win User
    I'm not too concerned about not being able to use apps. I did switch back to the local account and it's saying that I need to sign in with my MS account still. Would I be able to use the Media Creation Tool to install the latest build?

TONPumper, Sep 6, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

That's ok.

Sign in to the Store with your MS account instead, to see if it stops. If so, this way you can still sign in Windows with your local account.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

If that doesn't work, then you could also directly download a Windows 10 ISO file, and do a clean install with it. Be sure that you click on "Skip" when asked for a product key. Windows 10 will be activated afterwards if your current installation is.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...-download.html

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

Brink, Sep 6, 2015
  14. TONPumper Win User
    I signed into the store but when I click on Get Started, it still asks me to sign in with my MS account. I was checking this page to see if this would work, but my button doesn't say fix me and my registry entries don't look like the one on the page.

TONPumper, Sep 6, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 6, 2015
Thema:

1. Start or Stop Receiving Insider Preview Builds in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Start Stop Receiving

2. Windows 11 Insider Build Preview

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 11 Insider Build Preview: I wanted to know if there is any problem when we download the Windows 11 Insider Preview?Will it remove all the data from the previous windows 10 when we update to the insider build preview of windows 11?Is it safe?When the original windows 11 comes out can we update the...
  3. How do I stop receiving the Windows insider preview builds?

How do I stop receiving the Windows insider preview builds?: Recently, I had signed up for the Windows Insider program, and selected Release preview Channel, to download the May 21H1 Windows 10 update. After installing that update, a new bug started appearing in my laptop, where the desktop icons turn black in color.So, I decided to...
  4. Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview build 21327

Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview build 21327: hello please help I recently updated to build 21327 and now my problem is when I try to view my "OS build and System info" nothing opens. is there a fix for this, please?...
  5. Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20180

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20180: Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20180 wifi dosent work well had to drop back down a build to 20175. whats the problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-insider-preview-build-20180/591a204e-19d0-44f9-b83d-7d986cb972ee
  6. insider preview builds

insider preview builds: i have tried multiple time to disable the insider preview builds but after i do and leave the page and go back the settings have reverted https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/insider-preview-builds/e7124306-1cee-4430-925e-0a91a104ccd4
  7. Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 19041.84

Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 19041.84: Hello, From where I can download .iso image of Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 19041.84. Please advise. Regards, Mohit Deshmukh https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-insider-preview-build-1904184/5f2bc83b-99b0-40fa-ad6d-6de61ae4c417
  8. how to stop receiving windows insider notices or builds.

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to stop receiving windows insider notices or builds.: I am not a member of windows insider program yet I constantly receive their notices or updates which I do not want. The instructions state: settings>update/security>stop update builds. That 'stop' option does not appear. Only option displayed is 'Get started' Have no...
  9. Windows Insider 10 Preview Build

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Insider 10 Preview Build: Is anyone else had problems installing Norton Symantec Anti-Virus software while using the preview build. Thank you! M. Skaggs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-insider-10-preview-build/f1346ee3-de1f-4d61-9b01-4c6d9d2e1ce5"
  10. Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Builds - Stop Receiving

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Builds - Stop Receiving: How to: Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Builds - Stop Receiving How to Stop Receiving Insider Preview Builds on Windows 10 Mobile Phone [img] Information If you joined the Windows Insider Program on your Windows 10 Mobile phone, then you will get the latest Insider...