Windows 10: Reset or Clean install?

Discus and support Reset or Clean install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My brother has a Gateway SX2110G Win10 (x64) desktop that he got from a friend when it was on Windows 8. It’s now on Win10 1703 and runs well but the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MeAndMyComputer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Reset or Clean install?

My brother has a Gateway SX2110G Win10 (x64) desktop that he got from a friend when it was on Windows 8. It’s now on Win10 1703 and runs well but the original owner’s account is still on the computer. I want to reset or clean install so he’s the only account on it. I’m thinking of using Reset Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Option two: To Reset Windows 10 from Settings in Windows 10 and Remove everything.
    --- Will that work since the OS wasn’t originally Win10?
    --- His data has been saved.

Or is a clean install a better idea?
    Download Windows 10 ISO File Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Will I be able to set it up without a Microsoft account and just have him use an administrator local account?

Microsoft - Office Home and Student 2013 is on the computer and he has the original Product key card with the 25-character product key.
    --- Should the Microsoft - Office Home and Student 2013 be uninstalled before resetting the computer and then re-installed afterward?

Is there a way to save the drivers?

:)

MeAndMyComputer, Jul 5, 2017

2. reset or clean install of windows 10

hi joydeep sir which is best clean install or reset in windows 10 1703 home sl 64 bit.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

JoydeepSarkar685, Jul 5, 2017
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    reset or clean install of windows 10

Hi Joydeep,

Please see the difference between reset and clean install below:

Reset - is one of the recovery options in Windows 10 which allows you to reinstall the preinstalled operating
    system without using an installation disc. With reset, you will be have the option to keep your personal files or remove everything.

Clean installation - allows you to format or wipe everything out including the OEM partition(also known as Recovery partition). To do this, you need an
    installation media. With clean installation, you will have an option to manage your disk partition.

Feel free to post back should you need further help.

Riel Alc, Jul 5, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Reset or Clean install?

There are probably more than 1 now useless recovery partitions on the hard drive, so I would do a clean install of Windows 10.

To save the drivers, open a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) and run:

dism /online /export-driver /destination:E:\Drivers

The path in red will be to a folder that you create on an external drive to hold the drivers.

Do the clean install of Windows 10, erasing the hard drive in the process - delete every partition shown on the list of partitions on the screen after you select the Custom install option. When the drive is completely unallocated, click on the unallocated space and then next.

When you get to the first screen after the reboot that asks for the first account information, press CTRL + Shift + F3. That will enter audit mode and you will be logged in as local administrator. You can install drivers, do updates, and install Office and other programs. To use a browser, I think you have to search for Internet Explorer and use that because if I remember correctly Windows won't give you access to Edge as the built-in Administrator.

When you get it all set up, use the sysprep menu to shutdown to OOBE. There is no need to use the generalize option, but it won't hurt anything if you do. The next time the computer starts, it will boot into the screen that asks to create the first user account again and there will be no traces of the account you were in in audit mode.

NavyLCDR, Jul 5, 2017
  5. MeAndMyComputer, Jul 5, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    No. That tutorial has many steps that you will not need to do. You will enter Audit Mode by pressing CTRL + Shift + F3 at the first screen when the computer reboots. I can't remember exactly which screen it is, but it is after booting from the USB flash drive, and after copying all the files over, the computer reboots from it's own hard drive, does some more setup, and reboots again from it's own hard drive - then it is waiting for you to input something. I can't remember if it is network connection info or account info or customize/express settings. But that is when you press CTRL + Shift + F3.

You will be logged in as the built-in administrator. Leave the Sysprep window open while you are setting the rest of the computer up. If you install a driver or a program that requires a restart, don't worry about it, just let it restart and it will go back into audit mode automatically. If you have to connect to WiFi that requires a password, you can do that. The WiFi connection and password will be erased when you exit audit mode.

When you get done setting up the computer, use the Sysprep window to "enter system OOBE", and Shutdown in the lower drop-down box. You do not need to check the box to Generalize. The computer will erase the built-in Administrator account that you were logged into - including the WiFi connection and password, and the next time the computer restarts it will be exactly like a brand new retail computer coming out of a box.

The upper drop down box also has an option to restart back into audit mode. You can use that, if you need to, to shutdown or restart the computer in audit mode and continue setting things up.

NavyLCDR, Jul 6, 2017
  7. Thanks, I'm glad I asked first. Appreciate it.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Reset or Clean install?

1. Reset or Clean install? - Similar Threads - Reset Clean install

2. Impossible to Reset PC/Clean Install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Impossible to Reset PC/Clean Install: I am going through every method to get the data off this computer so I can send it back for a refund but nothing is working. I am very frustrated. I have tried going through the reset options in settings and every time it says it was not able to so after trying that a couple...
  3. Impossible to Reset PC/Clean Install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Impossible to Reset PC/Clean Install: I am going through every method to get the data off this computer so I can send it back for a refund but nothing is working. I am very frustrated. I have tried going through the reset options in settings and every time it says it was not able to so after trying that a couple...
  4. Factory Reset after Clean Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Factory Reset after Clean Install: Hey! I had to clean install last day.. because i had some issues with booting the PC. Because of that, theres no pre-installed programs and drivers, the laptop had when i bought him. I was wondering if i perform a Factory Reset with "Keep my files" option.. Will it rollback...
  5. Can't reset or clean install windows

Can't reset or clean install windows: My dad's laptop has been having a lot of issues lately so I decided to reset it. But every time I try it stops with a "couldn't reset this PC" error. I've tried everything from system file checking to other CMD fixes but it still ended the same way. So I to install windows...
  6. Can't update, reset, or install clean windows

Can't update, reset, or install clean windows: Hello, I have a persisting issue: my computer is unable to update to the Windows 10, version 1909. Each time it starts by downloading the update in Windows Update, then installing, and then my computer requires restart. When I restart the computer, it says installing...
  7. To reset computer or to do a clean install is the quesiton

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    To reset computer or to do a clean install is the quesiton: OK. I have already been chastised for posting twice, though I did not even know I did it. Sorry, this is my level of un-expertise. I have been told now to: reset my computer - which I already did and lost everything and am now being told to do this again. Really? BUT I...
  8. Reset vs Clean Install?

Reset vs Clean Install?: I just upgraded my notebook from 8.1. Win 10 is activated. I did the upgrade by creating an ISO using MCT, expanding the files to a USB hdd, then running Setup. I would now like to do a clean reinstall. Since I do not have bootable external media for the notebook, I'm...
  9. reset pc vs clean install win10

reset pc vs clean install win10: The reason I'm asking is because clicking the update and security in the windows settings brings up a page with different options where there is one for recovery. Clicking that recovery option opens another page with 3 options on the right - reset this pc; advanced start-up;...
  10. Win 10 reset and clean install failure

Win 10 reset and clean install failure: Samsung All-in-One model dp500a2p After getting the 10 upgrade and letting it activate I decided to reset it to rid my PC of the various crap I had downloaded over the last 2 years. It had been running 10 for 2 days at that point with no issues. That reset failed,...