Windows 10: Reset this PC does nothing

Discus and support Reset this PC does nothing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I bought a used PC that came with Windows 10, upgraded from Windows 7. There are still files and such left over from the previous owner so I wanted to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by joelshort, Feb 29, 2016.

1. joelshort Win User

Reset this PC does nothing

I bought a used PC that came with Windows 10, upgraded from Windows 7. There are still files and such left over from the previous owner so I wanted to do a complete reset of windows 10 and return to factory defaults. The problem is that when I go to settings/recovery and choose the option "Reset this PC" nothing at all happens. I push the button and I can tell it is thinking a little bit, but then nothing at all happens. The PC is functioning as normal, it just won't reset.

So 2 questions:
    1. Any idea why reset this pc doesn't do anthing?
    2. If I reinstall windows 10 using the media creation tool and a usb flash drive, will that in any way mess up the windows 10 activation? (I don't care about going back to win7 so if I lose that it's fine).

Thanks in advance.

:)

joelshort, Feb 29, 2016

2. RESET THIS PC!, "RESET THIS PC" OR "ADVANCED OPTION" DOESN'T EXIST

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please reply:

1. Do you receive any error message? If yes please reply with the error message and error code.

2. Did you use the Get Windows 10 app or the media creation tool to upgrade to Windows 10?

I would suggest you do a startup repair by using Windows 10 DVD. If you do not have Windows 10 DVD I would suggest you create one. Follow the steps from the links below:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool:

Windows 10 herunterladen

Follow the steps below to run a startup repair using Windows 10 DVD

Boot from the Windows 10 DVD.

a) At the Install Now screen, click Repair your computer >Advanced Options >
    Troubleshoot > Startup repair

b) Follow the on screen instructions

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Feb 29, 2016
  3. RESET THIS PC!, "RESET THIS PC" OR "ADVANCED OPTION" DOESN'T EXIST

I want to downgrade my W10 since it makes my asus laptop malfunction however whenever I click the "Troubleshoot" menu in the advanced startup option the "reset this pc or "advanced option" doesn't exist. the question how can I downgrade my PC is this options
    are not shown. Please Help me.

#ohohW10

qwertysilver, Feb 29, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

Not sure why it does not work through Advanced options yet, but take a look at both tutorials make sure it is being done correct.
    Maybe some kind of corruption in files since do not know much about it and being used.

Reset Windows 10
    Refresh Windows 10

If everything was done legit and activated from an upgrade you can do a clean install with ISO of Windows 10 and should not have an issue activating. Reset is a clean install as refresh will keep settings and files.

jds63, Feb 29, 2016
  5. joelshort Win User
    Reset does not work either from within windows or in the advanced restart menu. From the advanced restart menu it just restarts as normal and does not do the reset.

So it looks like my only option is to do a clean install from a USB drive.

joelshort, Feb 29, 2016
  6. jds63 Win User
    Again since bought used hoping all was done correct and legit. Good to have a copy of the ISO for troubleshooting reasons to.
    Up to you if want to try clean install with USB Flash Drive or making a disc of Windows 10.Preferably i like downloading the ISO and making a disc or USB over using the Media creation tool even though similar , see both tutorials. Remember the USB flash drive needs to be made bootable.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...-download.html

jds63, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reset this PC does nothing - Similar Threads - Reset does nothing

2. F8 does nothing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    F8 does nothing: I can't boot into safe mode and everytime I boot it says windows installation can't be completed and it loops when I tried booting into safe mode using f8 it does nothing but beeps...
  3. F8 does nothing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    F8 does nothing: I can't boot into safe mode and everytime I boot it says windows installation can't be completed and it loops when I tried booting into safe mode using f8 it does nothing but beeps...
  4. Setup.exe does nothing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setup.exe does nothing: I recently got a new windows 10 pc and tried to download Sydney 2000 on there. I click setup and nothing. Nothing pops up. I try it with triple play 2001 and the same thing happens. I tried on another windows 10 and the installation works there for both games. Any...
  5. Resetting windows gives me black screen then does nothing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Resetting windows gives me black screen then does nothing: I tried resetting my desktop with the removing all files option, on both my drives, and all it does after the percent getting ready screen is go black for multiple hours (when it is supposed to show resetting%), and then many hours later just turns back on and says "there was...
  6. PC screen turns on but does nothing else.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC screen turns on but does nothing else.: Windows 10 home (with latest updates) On our other PC. I believe that something went amiss during the virus scan over night. This morning the PC was off when we normally do not shut it down. After I pushed the start button, the screen came on but nothing else worked. I...
  7. my pc does not reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    my pc does not reset: my pc does not reset evey time i reset but it doesnt reset what should i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-does-not-reset/88ace10c-f45b-45d6-bbe5-5c6e4479cb13
  8. Nothing works, not even resetting my pc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Nothing works, not even resetting my pc: My system runs unimaginably slow. All my morning is not enough to read my mail. It takes very long to open apps and very short to freeze. I can't see movies on streaming sites anymore: it stops at least 10 times during an episode of 50 minutes. But all devices connected to...
  9. Reseted it and nothing changed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reseted it and nothing changed: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Melonentee [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fai82z/reseted_it_and_nothing_changed/
  10. MY PC DOES NOT RESET.

in Windows 10 Customization
    MY PC DOES NOT RESET.: Im using a Windows 10, 2016 HP Pavillion Notebook. I have issues resetting my pc completely i.e, cleaning up all the drives without any backup options. The process starts and at about 9% of the process, once the system has restarted it states that it is undoing all the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clicking reset this pc does nothing domain