Windows 10: resetting default appilcation associations

Discus and support resetting default appilcation associations in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; At work we have a software program that several times a day will erase my default program associations for : Http, https, PDF, jpeg, mailto. So several... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by cuetipper, Mar 21, 2018.

1. cuetipper Win User

resetting default appilcation associations

At work we have a software program that several times a day will erase my default program associations for : Http, https, PDF, jpeg, mailto. So several times a day I need to manually re associate firefox, paint, adobe, outlook. It is annoying. I think the program that does it is Goldmine as it interacts with all those file formats. I was recently upgraded to win 10 and that is when these issues started. I assume it is rewriting it self to default those items while it interacts with them and then writes back the original defaults. But i assume changes to the win10 registry system have made the re write portion of the software incorrect. Gold mine has yet no update to this version that we use and I can not update the version.

What i am asking for is if someone could help or preferable supply a reg - bat file that I can manually run to reset all those to the programs I use. At least it will then be quicker - easier to re associate those files.

:)

cuetipper, Mar 21, 2018
  2. Ramesh Srinivasan, Mar 21, 2018
  3. PDF files is opening on Microsft Edge instead adobe reader

Hi,

In Adobe CS5, click Edit > Preferences. Configure this dialog such that Adobe by itself doesn't reset the associations/defaults, which causes the problem in the first place.

Once done, use Default Programs to reset the .PDF associations.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Mar 21, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I think you could use this tutorial as the basis for saving your associations and reapplying them. It's written in the context of setting up a new user, but I don't see why it can't be used to do what you need- albeit for all associations (in the xml file).
    Export and Import Default App Associations for New Users in Windows Windows 10 Tutorials

Note that logging off/on is required to apply the associations.

Your situation sounds very frustrating and undesirable.

You might want to verify it is indeed that program. Given that you've only just upgraded, note that a long time back it was found that where old versions of a couple of programs of which one was Winzip caused associations to revert to default- I think on reboot.

dalchina, Mar 21, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @cuetipper

This is a known effect of some older programs that use deprecated methods of setting or checking defaults. Microsoft tightened up on the use of deprecated methods starting with the release of cumulative update KB3135173 for 1511 in 2016.

Usually the fix is to get an updated version that makes call to the default association in an approved way. For example, this was the case with older versions of Ifranview, as in this thread: Setting up Windows 10 Pro

GoldMine is known to have caused these problems in the past. I would NOT however recommend the kludge used here to 'fix' the problem - disabling Edge's association for .pdf in the registry!

In Windows 10, starting GoldMine changes defaul... | Ivanti User Community

That was a 'workaround' from 2016 when Microsoft first added the tighter restrictions on the use of defaults, there must be an updated GoldMine by now that doesn't cause this. If Ifranview can rewrite their app, Ivanti should have been able to fix it properly by now. https://community.ivanti.com/communi...tware/goldmine

6. cuetipper Win User
    Thanks to you both,
    I am certain it is goldmine. And the issue is it is an older product. IT will not permit me to update it. They say it would negatively impact other users???? So I am down to the oath of a reg file. But login out / in is not an option.

cuetipper, Mar 22, 2018
  7. dalchina New Member
    You will probably get away with restarting explorer.

dalchina, Mar 22, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

The registry 'kludge' may be you only option then, though I'd still not recommend messing with the registry on general priciples.

9. Callender Win User
    Check this post: Some firefox problems - Page 22 - Windows 10 Forums

If you run command GetUserFTA.exe >SetUserFTA.config from the directory in command prompt it will output a list of current file associations to a config file that you can open with your text editor. Save the problematic ones to a new config file in the SetUserFTA directory and from the same directory run the command SetUserFTA.exe SetUserFTA.config to associate.

Maybe someone good with writing scripts could automate that?

Callender, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. resetting default appilcation associations - Similar Threads - resetting default appilcation

2. Creating association in the default program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creating association in the default program: Hi, I am trying to email a video from a file by send to and I get message "No email associated to perform the requested action. Create an association in the default program, in control panel" I have looked but not quite sure what I am expected to do. I have Outlook installed...
  3. Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations: I installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (Build 1809). When I download an image file or video file I get this popup that this extension has been reset back to its defaults. Upon checking the default in PC Settings that application is still there so I'm wondering what's this...
  4. Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations

in Windows 10 Support
    Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations: I installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (Build 1809). When I download an image file or video file I get this popup that this extension has been reset back to its defaults. Upon checking the default in PC Settings that application is still there so I'm wondering what's this...
  5. default file association

default file association: I just wanted to know what does the following cmd code do assoc .srt=* or is it a valid command https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-file-association/0094eb83-785f-4a7d-aadf-7c5a92f709b2
  6. default file type association

default file type association: hi, I am using windows 10 home version 2004 on HP laptop. so, unfortunately I set the .srt file to open with ''notepad'' as default. but I want to revert this and to set it to unknown file type as it was before. so, how can I do this? restore previous version is greyed out....
  7. Windows 10 resets file associations to default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 resets file associations to default: Why does Windows 10 change my file associations every day to force me to use Edge to open Adobe PDF files? Edge is an unacceptable substitute for Adobe Acrobat Professional. Windows also changes my photo-editing preference to Photos no matter how much I want my own choice....
  8. How to Reset, Export and Import Default App Associations on Windows

in Windows 10 News
    How to Reset, Export and Import Default App Associations on Windows: [ATTACH] Windows 10 on the desktop has a plethora of applications available. Almost every kind of software is available for Windows 10. Even if you want to make a shortcut to copy and paste, you have a freeware to do it [...] This post How to Reset, Export and Import Default...
  9. Default applications: Create an association

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default applications: Create an association: Default applications: Create an association.Windows 10 Hello, im Mar, I want help with something that has happened with my computer, here's what happened :Okay, since like 4 days, my computer lagged so I decided to turn it off, I turned it on, and I went to play Roblox. When...
  10. Default applications: Create an association

Default applications: Create an association: Default applications: Create an association Default applications: Create an association.Windows 10 Hello, im Mar, I want help with something that has happened with my computer, here's what happened :Okay, since like 4 days, my computer lagged so I decided to turn it off, I...