Windows 10: Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10

Discus and support Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; It worked like a charm. Thank you for being there. I really appreciate it Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by danw700, Aug 26, 2016.

1. dihrdskr Win User

Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10

It worked like a charm. Thank you for being there. I really appreciate it

dihrdskr, Jan 25, 2017
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome Ari. I'm glad it was able to help you. *Smile

Brink, Jan 25, 2017
  3. Your second option helped me restore my local Pictures folder from OneDrive. I tried right clicking then properties and restoring the default location, but I kept getting an access error. Thank You!

TheEpicnor, May 2, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm glad it could help TheEpicnor, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Brink, May 2, 2017
  5. mshanhun Win User
    Thanks so much for all the information in this thread.

I used Move Location instructions to move my folder but somehow I ended up with the location of the documents being in the root directory. So I used the batch file to restore the location of my documents.

Some how, on my D: drive I have a visual glitch...

Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Do you have any information on how I could fix this?

Also, how can I move the location of the Public Documents etc since I only have the one user profile set up on this PC. I use the Public folders to access files with the other devices on our home network.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Melissa

mshanhun, Aug 1, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 1, 2017
  7. mshanhun Win User
    Thanks that appears to have fixed the problem - I still have the old My Documents icon on the Users/Melissa folder though. Is there a way to fix that? I'm not too worried about it but if it's simple that would be great.

mshanhun, Aug 2, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Great news so far.

You might see if using the method below to change the folders's icon may fix it when clicking on "Restore Defaults" at step 4.

*Arrow Change Folder Icon in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Brink, Aug 2, 2017
  9. I was stuck at One Drive overriding default location for 'document', then had Onedrive uninstalled without setting it back to default document location. Voila it was pointing to broken one drive link....

I tried "5. To Restore Your "Documents" Personal Folder Default Location" and it worked wonderfully to restore my broken Documents folder - it now points to my proper documents folder.

Thanks alot.

trashcanbin10, Aug 17, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome trashcanbin10. I'm glad it could help. *Smile

Brink, Aug 17, 2017
  11. IanAlex Win User
    @Shawn Brink - thanks for these batch files. They worked for me. I had tried to shift my user system folders off my SSD onto a secondary hard drive, following bad advice on the internet. This made a complete and utter mess and I could not restore the defaults. To my great relief, the batch files here have fixed it.

However, I want to know if the registry entries that these batch files write, restore what was in the registry originally, or if they are a work-around that make the registry file different from how it originally was.

IanAlex, Nov 25, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Ian, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

That's correct. The .bat files restore the default original entry in the registry for them.

Brink, Nov 25, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome Alba, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
  14. alba1314 Win User
    Thanks for this tute Brinks! I created a new partition on my laptop and moved my Documents folder to it but then decided to merge the new partition back into the original C:\ drive but was facing the following error message whenever I tried to access my Documents folder from my Start Menu: The item you selected is unavailable. It might have been moved, renamed or removed. Do you want to remove it from the list? Arrrgh! *Mad
    I was at my wits end trying to access the folder and totally flummoxed when I came across your post and "Hey Presto!", within seconds I was able to reset the path association and once again gain access to the Documents folder without encountering any further error messages simply by following your instructions. Thank you so much as you have saved me from tearing my hair out and having to purchase a new syrup, which is not exactly cheap these days.....
    Many appreciations to you Sir!

alba1314, Apr 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Restore Default Location

2. Unable to restore default location of Documents.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to restore default location of Documents.: I am using Windows 11 with OneDrive. OneDrive will not allow me restore default location of my documents folder. The only document folder that is available is the one listed in Users/Marc/OneDrive. When I try to restore default location through the properties dialog box, it...
  3. Problem in restoring default location of desktop.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem in restoring default location of desktop.: I have accidentally changed my desktop location in windows 10 to E:drive and I can't able to restore default location. How can I restore default location?...
  4. How to restore default location of Library folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to restore default location of Library folders in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If Windows Library folders are not opening correctly, you can restore the default location of Library folders in Windows 10 with the help of this […] This article How to restore default location of Library folders in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  5. Restore Default Gamebar Capture location

Restore Default Gamebar Capture location: I accidentally deleted the captures folder, and it changed the save location to D:\Videos. This is very annoying as I take many screenshots and clips. Is there anyway to change the save location of captures back to the captures folder?[ATTACH]...
  6. Restoring Default User Folder Locations

Restoring Default User Folder Locations: Hello. A couple weeks ago I did a fresh install of Windows and all my folders are in particular locations across multiple drives. Now, while I was configuring the location of my Downloads folder while formatting my backup/downloads HDD (Seagate BarraCuda), I had temporarily...
  7. restore factory defaults in personalization

in Windows 10 Customization
    restore factory defaults in personalization: What are the default criteria for "Appearance and Personalization" in Control Panel. I need to restore the original values. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-factory-defaults-in-personalization/bc2f5ed9-0e37-479f-b3f2-ffb0ecccadd3
  8. Cannot restore default location of Documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot restore default location of Documents folder: I accidentically set the location of my Documents folder to D:\ and now cannot restore it to C:\Users\MyName\Documents. When I try this I get the message "Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under D:\System Volume Information. Access is denied". How can I...
  9. Modify default folder locations

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Modify default folder locations: My new computer has an SSD drive [C:] and a 1TB hard drive [D:], I'd like to change the default Documents and Pictures folders to the D: drive, is there a registry tweak that will do that? 77511
  10. Restore Default Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Restore Default Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10: How to: Restore Default Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10 How to Restore Default Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10 The Game bar is a Xbox app Game DVR feature that lets you record and share game clips and screenshots in Windows 10....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Restore Default Location of Your Personal Folders using a BAT file

2. windows 10 restore default folder