Windows 10: Change Folder Icon in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Folder Icon in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Folder Icon in Windows 10 How to Change Icon of a Folder in Windows 10 This tutorial will show you how to change the icon of a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by z3r010, Feb 1, 2015.

1. z3r010 Win User

Change Folder Icon in Windows 10

How to: Change Folder Icon in Windows 10

How to Change Icon of a Folder in Windows 10

This tutorial will show you how to change the icon of a folder in File Explorer to any icon you like in Windows 10.

*note When you change the icon of a folder, the folder will no longer show a thumbnail preview of its content until you restore the default folder icon.

Here's How:

1) Right-click or press and hold on the folder you would like to change, and click/tap on Properties.

Change Folder Icon in Windows 10 [​IMG]

2) Click/tap on the Customize tab.

3) Click/tap on Change Icon.

4) Browse to an icon library, click/tap on an icon, and click/tap on OK.

*note You can also find more icons at C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll. Also, if you have a custom icon pack you can select 'Browse' to find your custom icons and then apply them. However, once you have done that you shouldn't move the custom icons. If you do, the folder using the custom icon will go back to the default folder icon and you will have to go through the entire process again.

You can click/tap on the Restore Defaults button and click/tap on OK to restore the default icon of this folder.

5) Click/tap on Apply.

6) And now you're done! Change Folder Icon in Windows 10 :)

Thanks for reading!
    -Chuck

Related Tutorials

:)

z3r010, Feb 1, 2015

2. Different Folder Icon or OneDrive-Folders

You can right click the folder

Click Properties

Click Customize tab

Click Change Icon

Choose another icon.

Also see:

https://winaero.com/blog/change-windows-10-fold...

Andre Da Costa, Feb 1, 2015
  3. How can I customize individual folder icons in Windows 10?

Hi Laurie,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with changing folder icons on Windows 10.

We can change the individual folder icons by following steps and check if it helps.

1. Right click on Folder.

2. Then click on Properties.

3. Click on Shortcut tab.

4. Then click on Change icon.

5. Select the different icon from the list or browse the icons.

Please get back to us with an update on customizing issue with Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Feb 1, 2015
  4. Chuck38 Win User

Thanks, John! I didn't know about those. *Thumbs

I like these blue one's..

Chuck38, Feb 1, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Good one Chuck! Might want to add a section for custom icons, using Browse, and once installed the Icon pack position should not be moved or changed, or else you have to redo everything.*Smile

Cliff S, Jun 1, 2015
  6. Chuck38 Win User
    Good point, Cliff. I'll edit it and see if I can add that in.

Chuck38, Jun 1, 2015
  7. psbecker Win User
    I just acquired a new laptop running Windows 10 and am trying to change the icons of the folders in the StartUp "Program" folder so that they would stand out a little better. I used my admin account and followed all the steps listed above, but when I clicked on "Apply", nothing happened. The same basic windows folder icon remained attached to the folder. I also tried to go into Properties and capitalize some of the folder names, but that didn't work either. Looks like something is protecting them, but I cannot figure out what it is much less how to get around this blockage, Any suggestions?

psbecker, Jan 11, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello psbecker, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Items in the Startup folder would be shortcuts instead. Did you try different folder views to see if they show with a different icon size?

If so, then please go ahead and post a screenshot showing this to see if it may reveal a cause.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...en-forums.html

Brink, Jan 11, 2016
  9. psbecker Win User
    Thanks for the quick and thorough reply. Unfortunately, I guess that I was posting too late last night because I did not explain my problem accurately. I used StartUp when I should have said "Start Menu" when referring to the folder name. Anyway, let me try again.

In the the "Start Menu" folder -- "C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Widows\Start Menu" -- there is a folder called "Programs" that contains several folders that do hold the shortcuts for various programs on my system. It is these folders in Programs, not the shortcuts, that I want to change the Icon to something more definitive than the default folder icon. However, the system won't let me make the change. I go through all the steps including Apply, but when I am done, the original icon is still there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry for the confusion.

psbecker, Jan 11, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm not aware of a way to change the folder icons in Start. *Sad

Brink, Jan 11, 2016
  11. Edwin New Member
    Not possible, (yet!)
    (I'm workin on it) *Wink

Edwin, Jan 11, 2016
  12. Edwin New Member
    By the way,
    if anyone has any clue as to which dll that folder icon resides in, by all means, please chime in! *Smile

Edwin, Jan 12, 2016
  13. Cliff S New Member

SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll is what I get in properties.

Cliff S, Jan 12, 2016
  14. Edwin New Member
    Yeah, that's not it though! *Sad

Edwin, Jan 12, 2016
  15. Cliff S New Member
    Try using 7Zip and open up a 3rd party theme dll and burrow down(example: F:\Theming Stuff\Dark Theme\gray_2014__dark_theme_windows_8_1_update_1__upd_11_by_ezio-d6x6ssl\Gray 2014 by Ezio\THEME files\Normal version\Gray2014\Shell\NormalColor\shellstyle.dll\.rsrc\0\

Cliff S, Jan 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Change Folder Icon in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Folder Icon

2. Change Icon in Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Icon in Folder: Hello everyone, recently I tried moving my videos folder to another drive and that ended up changing the icon of that drive, when I try to change it back it doesn't give me the option to change it, can anyone help me? I am on Windows 11. Thanks*** Moved from Spanish Forum ***...
  3. Change Icon in Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Icon in Folder: Hello everyone, recently I tried moving my videos folder to another drive and that ended up changing the icon of that drive, when I try to change it back it doesn't give me the option to change it, can anyone help me? I am on Windows 11. Thanks*** Moved from Spanish Forum ***...
  4. Changing the folder icon to Classic Windows Folder icon on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing the folder icon to Classic Windows Folder icon on Windows 10: I want to continue to use what I believe Microsft called Classic Windows Folder icon for data folders. It's the plain rectangular manila folder with the label tab in the upper left- or right-hand corner. I have had Win 10 64bit for several years and just noticed yesterday...
  5. Why icons are not changed in Windows 10 64bit folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why icons are not changed in Windows 10 64bit folders: Why icons are not changed in Windows 10 64bit foldersI hope to answer the problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-icons-are-not-changed-in-windows-10-64bit/1f9d3f39-e5c4-4c0b-a4a6-5dde6973bc45"
  6. How to change Thumbnail Folder icon in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change Thumbnail Folder icon in windows 10: hello; i have changed folder icons using registry edit, and it worked. But when i change folder view option from small to large, it shows default icon. So is there any way to change thumbnail folder icon ? For reference i am posting below screenshots to further clear my...
  7. Change folder icon

Change folder icon: Hi, I wrote a batch script to set a custom icon to folders: ECHO [.ShellClassInfo]>%1\desktop.in_ ECHO IconResource=C:\Windows\system32\imageres.dll,22>>%1\desktop.in_ move %1\desktop.in_ %1\desktop.ini attrib +S +H %1\desktop.ini The desktop.ini it produces is...
  8. Windows 10 Taskbar "Default" folder icon change?

Windows 10 Taskbar "Default" folder icon change?: Hello, please help me figure this out, I would like to change default folder icon, but don't know how. I think it can be done with regedit, but I need a little help to navigate where and what to change, please help *Smile This icon appears when you open any folder....
  9. Changing Folder Icons In Windows 10

Changing Folder Icons In Windows 10: So as many people may agree, the icons in Windows 10 look absolutely hideous. I have found an Icon pack I would like to use & I have successfully changed Icons such as Recycle Bin, My PC, My Network but when it comes to the Documents, Movies, Pictures, Download folders...
  10. Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10: How to: Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10 How to Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10 The This PC window in File Explorer includes a Folders group that displays a linked Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos folder from...