Windows 10: Restore Point

Discus and support Restore Point in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Question; My computer had to be reformatted because of a lock out by a hacker, can I use a restore point that I made before the hack, to restore my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by sgtjoe, Jan 21, 2016.

1. sgtjoe Win User

Restore Point

Question; My computer had to be reformatted because of a lock out by a hacker, can I use a restore point that I made before the hack, to restore my files? The restore points and system image are on my back up drive , I restored a couple of files from it. and the folders are there but I do not want to screw things up, as I don't know what I am doing.

thanks

:)

sgtjoe, Jan 21, 2016
  2. MizzCj Win User

Windows 10 Restore point issues (Restore point missing)

Still no reply???

MizzCj, Jan 21, 2016
  3. Amos Xiao Win User
    Windows 10 Restore point issues (Restore point missing)

Hello Nachappa,

Thanks for your reply. But it was not helpful at all (sorry being frank).

You seem only read my post title, didn't read my post content. Can you please read it again?

As you said:

- You run out of disk space on the system drive or on any one of the available non-system drives, and System Restore stops responding and stops monitoring your system.

AMOS: NO, I have 184GB free space

Restore Point [​IMG]

- You manually turn System Restore off.

AMOS: NO, it always on, I never turn System Restore off.

Restore Point [​IMG]

- A restore point reaches an age of 90 days. The restore point is then deleted because 90 days is the default time to live.

AMOS: NO, the restore points I created on Feb 15, 2016, they disappeared on Feb 28, 2016, and some of others disappear in earlier of March 2016. I've contacted with Microsoft "AnswerDesk" online chatting service several time, they couldn't figure it out.

Nachappa, can you read my post carefully? And let me know if you have any solution.

I'm looking forward to your reply. Thanks.

Amos

Amos Xiao, Jan 21, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Restore Point

Hi Joe, welcome to the Ten Forums.

If the system disk has been formatted, all your possible restore points are gone to Cyber Heaven without an option to resurrect, there is no way to get them back to life. In ideal circumstances a formatted hard disk can be restored with special software but restoring a functional Windows (and your restore points) after formatting, then using System Restore to restore one of the earlier restore points is never going to work. Sorry.

Instead of formatting you should have boot the PC with Windows install media (Option Five in this tutorial) to restore Windows.

Sorry about the bad news. Don't shoot the messenger *Wink

5. cereberus Win User
    OP does say he has a system image as well.

cereberus, Jan 22, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    I missed the part of a system image, my apologies.

Restoring a system image is of course a viable option to get the PC restored to a point before the issue.

7. sgtjoe Win User
    Thanks' Kari, I will give it a try.

sgtjoe, Jan 22, 2016
  8. sgtjoe Win User

Restore Point

I am kind of frozen in time right now, in reaserching my options I looked at my hard drive and see that it has 4 partitions, I am used to seeing 2, the partitions are labled (Active recovery Partition 1.4 GB), (Recovery Partition 492 MB), (Primary Partition 10.41 GB) and (T1105322W0F (C*Smile 453.1GB NTFS Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition). What are the extra two for, does it have anyting to do with what I am trying to do?

Thanks for your patients,

sgtjoe, Feb 15, 2016
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    System restore does not touch your files. That leaves the image which should include your files if it is a vanilla image.

10. dalchina New Member
    System Restore doesn't protect your own personal data, if that's what you're trying to recover.

dalchina, Feb 15, 2016
  11. sgtjoe Win User
    I didn't have a problem restoring my personal folders it is the system I am trying to restore.

sgtjoe, Feb 15, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Hi, slightly puzzled why you aren't simply restoring your PC completely from your system image:
    How to restore your computer from Windows 10 image backup file

• Connect the hard-drive with the system image backup to computer. Then reboot the computer with the Windows installation media (bootable DVD or bootable USB flash drive)
    • During the Windows Setup, click Next, then click Repair your computer link in the bottom-left corner of screen
    • Click on Troubleshoot > Advanced options, and select System Image Recovery
    • Finally, select Windows 10 from the list of operating systems that you want to recover, click Next and hit Finish
    from
    How to create Windows 10 system image backup and restore it

dalchina, Feb 15, 2016
  13. sgtjoe Win User

Restore Point

That done the trick thanks to all for the help.

sgtjoe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Restore Point

1. Restore Point - Similar Threads - Restore Point

2. 0x800423F4 when creating system restore point.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0x800423F4 when creating system restore point.: On April 24, 2024, Windows update installed KB5037724 on my system running Windows 10 22H2, Bld 19045.4291. Since then, when manually creating a restore point I get non-transient error 0x800423F4. It is a solid error. It happens every time. I tried to uninstall the update,...
  3. 0x800423F4 when creating system restore point.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    0x800423F4 when creating system restore point.: On April 24, 2024, Windows update installed KB5037724 on my system running Windows 10 22H2, Bld 19045.4291. Since then, when manually creating a restore point I get non-transient error 0x800423F4. It is a solid error. It happens every time. I tried to uninstall the update,...
  4. 0x800423F4 when creating system restore point.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Ox800423F4 when creating system restore point.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ox800423F4 when creating system restore point.: On April 24, 2024, Windows update installed KB5037724 on my system running Windows 10 22H2, Bld 19045.4291. Since then, when manually creating a restore point I get non-transient error 0x800423F4. It is a solid error. It happens every time. I tried to uninstall the update,...
  6. Ox800423F4 when creating system restore point.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ox800423F4 when creating system restore point.: On April 24, 2024, Windows update installed KB5037724 on my system running Windows 10 22H2, Bld 19045.4291. Since then, when manually creating a restore point I get non-transient error 0x800423F4. It is a solid error. It happens every time. I tried to uninstall the update,...
  7. Ox800423F4 when creating system restore point.

8. I cannot create restore point!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I cannot create restore point!: Hello, I have a question! When i try to create restore point, first it shows and error 0x81000203 and after that in System properties / System Protection i cannot create restore point and it cannot find any available drivers! Pls help!...
  9. windows update deleted all of my restore points, made vscode stop workin, and glitched the...

windows update deleted all of my restore points, made vscode stop workin, and glitched the...: First of all, i hate windows update to the bones. second of all, the title. installed the update because i had no choice this is the update ->...
  10. windows update deleted all of my restore points, made vscode stop workin, and glitched the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows update deleted all of my restore points, made vscode stop workin, and glitched the...: First of all, i hate windows update to the bones. second of all, the title. installed the update because i had no choice this is the update ->...