Windows 10: Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

Discus and support Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Thanks for this. However it doesn't work 100% here : when i do right clic/open with, i have only 3 entries here, and the default windows viewer is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by heyyahblah, Aug 9, 2015.

1. unko Win User

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

Thanks for this. However it doesn't work 100% here : when i do right clic/open with, i have only 3 entries here, and the default windows viewer is not one of them.. Perhaps bringing back the "preview" button like in 7 would be great, some tweak apps can do that, isn't it? The other option, more annoying, in the fact that in "default programs", i still only have TIFF for the viewer.. Why not all just like you?!

2. davidhk Win User

At the bottom, do you see " Choose another app " ?
    If yes, click it > use the scrollbar on the right, do you see Windows Photo Viewer ?
    If yes, click it > at the bottom, check the box " always use this app to open......" > clock OK when done.

Will that work ?

davidhk, Dec 8, 2015
  3. unko Win User
    That worked, its now appearing in the "open with" menu *Wink However the issue for associations remains..

4. davidhk Win User

I am sorry, I prefer not to leaf through pages of replies to find yours. There are 9 pages, 82 replies total.
    Would you be so kind to elaborate the issue of file association ?
    Thank you.

davidhk, Dec 9, 2015
  5. unko Win User
    You could've just looked above, it's just my former message.. *Wink As it says, I only have TIFFs formats in the "picture viewer" association window.

6. davidhk Win User
    Do it the old fashioned way...............
    Right click at Start > select Control Panel > top right at View by, click the pointer and select small icons > select Default Programs > select Associate a file type....... > left side, scroll down to .jpg > click it > under Current Default, does it say Windows Photo Viewer ?
    If yes, your are set.
    If no, top right, click Change Program > does the popup box show Windows Photo Viewer on the list ?
    If yes, click it and click OK.
    If no, at the bottom, click More apps > use the scrollbar to find Windows Photo Viewer and select it > click OK when done.

Repeat the steps above with .png files.

davidhk, Dec 9, 2015
  7. elbeasto Win User
    I'm having a problem with Windows Photo Viewer since the November update.
    Every time I open a pic in "Pictures" on C:\ (an SSD), my mechanical storage drives start up and the pic won't open until said drives are spinning.

Since I use the Photo Viewer a lot I had to go back to the old one which is inconvenient given that Logitech drivers are bugged with scrolling.

Windows 10 starts up those drives at every opportunity, any excuse and they start up but they're never actually being accessed, they just spin up for no reason.

elbeasto, Dec 17, 2015
  8. davidhk Win User

What is " the old one " ?
    I only know of one Windows Photo Viewer which comes with Windows 7.
    The one included in Windows 10 is called Photo, not Photo Viewer.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

davidhk, Dec 17, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello elbeasto, *Smile

This would be from having Turn off hard disk after turned on in your power plan settings. You can set this to "Never" or a longer time so that you don't have to wait as often.

Hard Drive - Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle or Never - Windows 7 Help Forums

Power Plan Settings - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Brink, Dec 17, 2015
  10. elbeasto Win User
    Hi Brink. *Smile
    Ta for the reply but... *Biggrin

What I'm getting at is that they don't need to start up at all if the image being opened is on C drive.
    Why spin up D and E drives if the image resides on C, a nice quiet SSD?

This is a huge problem with Windows 10.

e.g: I just now opened Settings>Network & Internet> All my drives spin up... for why win10? why are you so bad?

Sorry I meant go back to the Windows 10 Photos App, sorry for the confusion there.

elbeasto, Dec 17, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Elbeasto,

I never understood why it has to spin all drives up either instead of just the one you're trying to open, but if you set Turn off hard disk after to never, it'll stop it.

Brink, Dec 18, 2015
  12. elbeasto Win User
    Just to be absolutely clear, I don't want my mechanical drives spinning at all unless absolutely necessary.
    So Telling my drives to never turn off means they're always running...

But again, this is one of my biggest complaints about Win 10, it starts up the mechanical drives at every opportunity & I would guess that in most cases it doesn't have to.
    Even if you exclude them from search indexing and or Defender scanning they will still spin up, they just won't be scanned.

elbeasto, Dec 18, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

elbeasto,

You might set Turn off hard disk after to an hour to see how that works for you. This way they won't spin up as often if they have to be idle for an hour before turning off.

Brink, Dec 18, 2015
  14. Clint Win User
    Thanks Brink. I've been looking for that.

Clint, Dec 25, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad it could help Clint. *Smile

Brink, Dec 25, 2015
Thema:

1. Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Restore Photo Viewer

2. How to restore the Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to restore the Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 11: Windows 11 brings a slew of new features, some of which have not been well received among users. If you look at the previous iteration, it also had some unwelcome changes such as the Photos app, which replaced the Windows Photo Viewer. [ATTACH] The Photos App isn't bad at...
  3. Restore Windows Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore Windows Photo Viewer: If you loved Microsoft Photo viewer but they're forcing you to use Photos App you can bring it back with this FREE program. https://download.cnet.com/Restore-Windows-Photo-Viewer/3000-18488_4-77362441.html...
  4. How do you restore windows photo viewer in windows 10?

How do you restore windows photo viewer in windows 10?: I have tried everything to restore windows photo viewer as my default app in windows 10. Nothing seems to work. I cannot find an icon of the program to right click on and activate. Frustrating. Thanks in advance for your help....
  5. Restore Windows Photo Viewer not working anymore

Restore Windows Photo Viewer not working anymore: So I just got a new Alienware Area-51m laptop which came preinstalled with the latest build of Windows 1809, I did the latest Windows update then started applying my tweaks, however, when I applied the restore Windows Photo Viewer for All Users tweak, I still couldn't find...
  6. Restore Windows Photo Viewer not working anymore

in Windows 10 Support
    Restore Windows Photo Viewer not working anymore: So I just got a new Alienware Area-51m laptop which came preinstalled with the latest build of Windows 1809, I did the latest Windows update then started applying my tweaks, however, when I applied the restore Windows Photo Viewer for All Users tweak, I still couldn't find...
  7. Windows 10 photo viewer

Windows 10 photo viewer: when I try to enlarge a picture in the photo viewer, they window turns transparent. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-photo-viewer/376a2bf0-7c7f-416e-8ab6-125b0e7e44a9
  8. Windows 10 Photo Viewer

Windows 10 Photo Viewer: I'm looking for a Photo Viewer for Windows 10 Home 64-bit that's as close as possible to that found on Windows 7. I've tried Microsoft Photos on the Windows Store but once I zoom in or make an image I'm viewing full screen, the other options at the top of the screen disappear...
  9. Windows 10 photo viewer

Windows 10 photo viewer: How to show oldest photos first in windows 10 photo viewer Can someone please help me out here on the above.I decided to have a go with the W10 photo app,But failed on how to arrange the viewing I would like to have the windows to show oldest first.Or is it set to show...
  10. Windows Photo Viewer manual restoration

Windows Photo Viewer manual restoration: I found Brink's tutorial here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html But I wanted to know if I can try and manually restore it? If I want to add the registry key myself, how can I do that? Thanks! 39099