Windows 10: Restoring Default User Folder Locations

Discus and support Restoring Default User Folder Locations in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. A couple weeks ago I did a fresh install of Windows and all my folders are in particular locations across multiple drives. Now, while I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GarrettM98, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Restoring Default User Folder Locations

Hello. A couple weeks ago I did a fresh install of Windows and all my folders are in particular locations across multiple drives. Now, while I was configuring the location of my Downloads folder while formatting my backup/downloads HDD (Seagate BarraCuda), I had temporarily re-routed it to the Desktop. Now, the problem is that I set the location to the Desktop folder itself, so Downloads and Desktop become the same things. And as you can see, they're both named the same.

I've tried going into the location settings and restoring them to default values, but regardless of whether I do that to the Desktop or Downloads shortcut (which have become the same names, just different icons), it only allows me to restore them to C:/users/USERNAME/Desktop

I currently have my Downloads folder located on the Seagate BarraCuda, and the link under Quick Access works just fine but lower down under This PC (in the left pane) it's identical to the folders on the left of my screenshot; they both lead to Desktop.

What I'm looking for is a method to restore the original folders and their locations; essentially like a factory reset to these folders. I know I screwed something up when I relocated the Downloads into Desktop originally, and would like to know of a method to restore those to where they were before I did that. My PC is configured very specifically and re-installing and re-configuring Windows would take me an entire day, so I'd like to avoid that at all costs!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Restoring Default User Folder Locations e363a7c7-cc5a-4574-9865-91b03eb3c87d?upload=true.jpg

:)

GarrettM98, Dec 17, 2018
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Dec 17, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Dec 17, 2018
  4. Restoring Default User Folder Locations

Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Dec 17, 2018
Thema:

Restoring Default User Folder Locations

1. Restoring Default User Folder Locations - Similar Threads - Restoring Default User

2. Unable to restore default location of Documents.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to restore default location of Documents.: I am using Windows 11 with OneDrive. OneDrive will not allow me restore default location of my documents folder. The only document folder that is available is the one listed in Users/Marc/OneDrive. When I try to restore default location through the properties dialog box, it...
  3. How to restore default location of Library folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to restore default location of Library folders in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If Windows Library folders are not opening correctly, you can restore the default location of Library folders in Windows 10 with the help of this […] This article How to restore default location of Library folders in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  4. Restore Default Gamebar Capture location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restore Default Gamebar Capture location: I accidentally deleted the captures folder, and it changed the save location to D:\Videos. This is very annoying as I take many screenshots and clips. Is there anyway to change the save location of captures back to the captures folder?[ATTACH]...
  5. Cannot restore default location of Documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot restore default location of Documents folder: I accidentically set the location of my Documents folder to D:\ and now cannot restore it to C:\Users\MyName\Documents. When I try this I get the message "Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under D:\System Volume Information. Access is denied". How can I...
  6. Restore Default Locations of “Documents” in “Users” & “This PC”

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Default Locations of “Documents” in “Users” & “This PC”: Being new to both Windows 10 and OneDrive, somehow I managed to change the “Location” of my “Users” (and therefore also the “This PC”) “Documents” folder to the OneDrive “Documents” folder. So while in File Explorer if I right-click either the “Users” “Documents” or the...
  7. Modify default folder locations

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Modify default folder locations: My new computer has an SSD drive [C:] and a 1TB hard drive [D:], I'd like to change the default Documents and Pictures folders to the D: drive, is there a registry tweak that will do that? 77511
  8. Changing default folder locations for Public users

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing default folder locations for Public users: I've upgraded two machines going from a single 1T hard drive to a SSD and a 1T hard drive for data. I was able to change the default user file locations for docs, pics, music, video, and download. When I went to do the same for the public user, I was not allowed to change the...
  9. Moved Default User Folders With Location Tab, But Settings is Unchange

in Windows 10 Support
    Moved Default User Folders With Location Tab, But Settings is Unchange: Peace on earth, goodwill towards all. *Smile I moved my default user folders (Documents, Music, Pictures, Video) from C to a different partition by using the Location tab. This successfully moved the folders and their contents to the new partition. I can see the folders...
  10. Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10: How to: Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10 How to Restore Default Location of Your Personal Folders in Windows 10 You can change the location of the folders in your personal folder (such as Documents and Pictures) by redirecting them. For example,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. restore all users folder to default locations