Windows 10: robocopy cli equivalent to Windows copy/paste or cut/paste

Discus and support robocopy cli equivalent to Windows copy/paste or cut/paste in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I normally use the built-in file copying program into Windows when I backup my data disks. Then I started to use TeraCopy which was great but then I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nick james, Jul 15, 2016.

1. robocopy cli equivalent to Windows copy/paste or cut/paste

I normally use the built-in file copying program into Windows when I backup my data disks. Then I started to use TeraCopy which was great but then I wanted to take things to the next level. Why? Because who doesn't like to complicate things?

I copied all my data from my data disk using robocopy and I found that all the folders only, now have the date of the "time of copy" rather than the original date. I used the following command-

robocopy E: "F:RAID_BACKUP" /E /Z /MIR /MT:64 /R:3 /W:1 /LOG:"RAID_Backup_1.txt"

After doing some searching online, I found this helpful article on how to preserve the date and timestamps:

timestamp - What switches can robocopy use to preserve file and directory times on the target? - Server Fault

So it looks like I forgot the /COPY*BiggrinT /DCOPY:T which I thought would be automatic.

Anyhow, moving forward, when copying within Windows or even TeraCopy, what is the equivalent in Robocopy to a "cut and paste" or a "drag and drop copy" or even a "drag and drop move" within Windows? I dont ever want to make this mistake again and maybe I should have just left the command line to the pros

:)

nick james, Jul 15, 2016
  2. patc---01 Win User

Cut and Paste or Simply Contact Copy

You can use cut & paste.

You need to open the contact in edit mode, then copy the number you want by holding the pencil button, highlighting the number and selecting "Copy".

Open up a message and in the body, press the pencil and select "Paste".

Sending a business card is probably quicker, though robocopy cli equivalent to Windows copy/paste or cut/paste ;)

patc---01, Jul 15, 2016
  3. Cut and Paste or Simply Contact Copy

Say I want to send a mate the number of another mate is my only option to send a business card? I cant seem to find a way of just simply putting a persons number into a new text. Is there [a way]?

longshanks---01, Jul 15, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

robocopy cli equivalent to Windows copy/paste or cut/paste

essenbe, Jul 15, 2016
  5. Thanks for sharing your command and switches.

So when you use that, does it also copy the original folders creation date? The only difference between your switches and mine are the ability to see the output (/np /tee) and multi-thread (/MT), restart mode (/Z), retries (/R:3), and the wait between retires (/W:1).

I don't see how your switches preserve the original date of folders but mine would not.

nick james, Jul 16, 2016
  6. essenbe Win User
    Mine do unless one is changed. When the contents of the folders change, it uses the newest date. I have always been under the impression that the z switch was only useful with a NAS, in case you lost connection. I do use the MT switch but left it out as most people wouldn't need it. The default, I believe is 8, so you would only need it to use more, which mine never does anyway, but I use MT:10.

essenbe, Jul 16, 2016
  7. Interesting.

I will have to do some more testing.

I wonder if the /MIR is actually whats messing everything up? In theory, if its a new copy then it would need a new directory, thus the new timestamp. But if its the first copy ever, you wouldn't think that would happen.

nick james, Jul 16, 2016
  8. essenbe Win User

I ran it last night, but here are a few of my folders.

robocopy cli equivalent to Windows copy/paste or cut/paste [​IMG]

essenbe, Jul 16, 2016
  9. So then it appears the timestamps on the folders changed, which makes sense, only because there was new content/updated content placed inside. But if you ran the copy for the first time, you wouldn't think this would happen. That is what I'm trying to figure out. If you copy contents from X to Y and Y has never had the contents copied to it, shouldn't the directory's created timestamp be applied to Y's destination?

Perhaps these switches are needed then?

Code: /COPYrobocopy cli equivalent to Windows copy/paste or cut/paste :DAT /DCOPY:T[/quote]

There seems to be a little chatter about this on the man page for it, if you scroll down just a bit. Search for "Copying of directory time stamps issue"

Robocopy

nick james, Jul 16, 2016
  10. essenbe Win User
    My folders seem to carry the date of the most recent file inside that was updated. Opening the folder, all the files seem to carry their original date. The new files carry the date they were created, and thus change the folder date.

essenbe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. robocopy cli equivalent to Windows copy/paste or cut/paste - Similar Threads - robocopy cli equivalent

2. Copy/Cut - Paste Appdata files>

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy/Cut - Paste Appdata files>: I'd like to cut & paste some User files including Appdata and possible user files from C to D. Does that cause any problems?Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copycut-paste-appdata-files/9284a01f-bbd1-4f17-80b6-99dbcb11fae0
  3. Cut and paste or copy and paste without pasting files already in the ext drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cut and paste or copy and paste without pasting files already in the ext drive?: How do I copy and paste files from pc to ext drive without pasting duplicates of files already in the ext drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cut-and-paste-or-copy-and-paste-without-pasting/4459548e-cf1d-4e3c-8014-049906bd1320
  4. Cut and paste or copy and paste without pasting files already in the ext drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cut and paste or copy and paste without pasting files already in the ext drive?: How do I copy and paste files from pc to ext drive without pasting duplicates of files already in the ext drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cut-and-paste-or-copy-and-paste-without-pasting/4459548e-cf1d-4e3c-8014-049906bd1320
  5. Cut and paste or copy and paste without pasting files already in the ext drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Cut, Copy, and Paste not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cut, Copy, and Paste not working: Asking a question about my son's Lenovo laptop. Cut, Copy, and paste not working. Other hotkey combos that I know appear to be working correctly. This is an issue in Google docs, Word, Notepad, and other programs. I can access his clipboard with CTRL + V and see the...
  7. copy, cut and paste not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copy, cut and paste not working: No matter what I try to do, I can't manipulate folders by cut, copy and paste. It is this way on the desktop, windows explorer and all programs. So far I have reset Windows 10, did a bare metal install of windows 10, and it will still not work. This last time, right after...
  8. cut or copy and paste

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cut or copy and paste: I use to be able to cut and paste by highlighting and right clicking. Now I can highlight but when I right click this option is no longer available. What happened to my cut, copy and paste and how can I get them back?...
  9. cut copy paste

in Windows 10 Support
    cut copy paste: Before update 14383 I used my mouse for cut. copy, paste. After this update that disappeared. Why 55859
  10. Cut or Copy and Paste

in Windows 10 Support
    Cut or Copy and Paste: How do you copy or paste from one document to another in Windows 10? Thanks. 48387