Windows 10: Running Powershell for setting default programs

Discus and support Running Powershell for setting default programs in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; In the past I have had to go around to each computer and set the default programs. Is there a way to create a batch file to set default programs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Daniel13djb, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Running Powershell for setting default programs

In the past I have had to go around to each computer and set the default programs. Is there a way to create a batch file to set default programs silently for each user that signs on? Like we would like to have Adobe Reader DC, Internet Explorer, and VLC player be the default programs.

:)

Daniel13djb, Feb 28, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Photo app in updated Windows 10

Hi Kenneth, you can make Infranview the default with one setting . . .

Open the Settings App (gear icon on your Start Menu

Go to Apps - Default Apps

Scroll down and click 'Set Defaults by App'

In the list of apps click on InfranView

On the right click 'Set this Program as Default'

The text above the button should change to 'This program has all its defaults'

That's it

If you want to remove the Photos App altogether:

Open Powershell as Administrator (accessible by right clicking your Start Button)

Run this command and hit Enter:

Get-AppxPackage *photos* | Remove-AppxPackage

Close Powershell and restart your PC

DaveM121, Feb 28, 2016
  3. Windows 10 default apps/programs not working at all

Ran the PowerShell, still couldn't set defaults for roles, but then I reset Default Programs using the Reset button at the bottom of the list. After that I could set the defaults I wanted.

B. Donohue, Feb 28, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Running Powershell for setting default programs

dalchina, Feb 29, 2016
  5. Thank you! Worked like a charm!

Daniel13djb, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Running Powershell for setting default programs

1. Running Powershell for setting default programs - Similar Threads - Running Powershell setting

2. Default Program Settings in Windows Security

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default Program Settings in Windows Security: I have noticed that, in my installation of Windows 11, I have not touched any of the settings in Windows Security, yet there are numerous programs that have system overrides enabled. My question is a general question. Which applications have system overrides turned on by...
  3. Set a default volume for launing programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set a default volume for launing programs: I know this has been asked before, but there wasn't an answer, so I'll ask as well. Is there any way to change the default volume of programs? My main volume is 4, system volume 0 it has noise otherwise, is that a Windows bug?, and I don't believe any application is higher...
  4. Setting default programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting default programs: I am aware of how to change the default program in windows for file extensions, etc, but I want to be able to set the default association to any application of my choosing. I have seen old guides about this going into the old control panel, but that no longer works. Is there...
  5. Program windows default opening settings?

in Windows 10 Support
    Program windows default opening settings?: Seem to be getting new behaviour. Programs and folders are opening in a consistent central position and size. That persists however I then close and re-open. I'm pretty sure they used to re-appear wherever I last positioned them. I thought it might be down to...
  6. Can't Set Default Program!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Set Default Program!: What a real pain this is!!!!!Cannot set existing program as default for Photos. Dropdown list doesn't have that program listed yet it is installed on computer. Cannot add .ATN extension and associate a program to open it. So I have to pay to get App??? And the App store...
  7. Setting default programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting default programs: I would like to know why you can only set Microsoft Programs as the default programs In Windows 10, I have a media player i realy like and i can not set it as my default Media Program for some reason and i would like to know why and how Microsft is allowed by the Governement...
  8. Set default mail program

in Browsers and Email
    Set default mail program: Yeah, I know: Settings/Default or Control Panel/Default. But it won't work with OE Classic. It's installed and working but Windows never heard of it. Perhaps add it to the registry manually? 94526
  9. Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting: I have read a lot of posted articles using Google search, but none of them are quite the problem I am experiencing. My hardware is an ASUS Transformer T100TAM. It came with Win 10, but husband installed our registered Win7 in order to get the free Win10 upgrade. When I...
  10. 'Settings' Default is not= Control Panel 'Default Programs' - All

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    'Settings' Default is not= Control Panel 'Default Programs' - All: Hi, An observation, not a question. I wanted to set Thunderbird as my default email client again (after having reset defaults whilst looking for a problem). So I set it as my default email client in 'System', 'Default Apps'. This proved not to be the same as using...