Windows 10: S mode deactivation - for surface and windows 10

Discus and support S mode deactivation - for surface and windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Does anyone know how to deactivate s mode on a surface running windows 10? The help app offers and article from 2018 that instructs you to go to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JoLeigh, Feb 4, 2020.

1. JoLeigh Win User

S mode deactivation - for surface and windows 10

Does anyone know how to deactivate s mode on a surface running windows 10?

The help app offers and article from 2018 that instructs you to go to settings/activation/store and select a tab that allows you to deactivate it. When I do this there is no tab or option. Can anyone assist? I have a Surface Pro 6 Model 1796 i7

:)

JoLeigh, Feb 4, 2020

2. SUR40 and windows 10 surface mode

Hi

In Windows 10 if you want to play around with tablet mode

Is often the case there's a manual way to do so

I would like to suggest you to follow the given steps to enable the surface mode/ Tablet mode

•Click or tap the Start button

•Open the Settings application

•Click or tap on "System"

•In the pane on the left of the screen scroll all the way to the bottom until you see "Tablet Mode"

•Ensure the toggle is set to either on or off to your preference.

Also refer to the regarding surface mode: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg697127.aspx

Hope this help

Thanks

Mayank Chadha, Feb 4, 2020
  3. Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Feb 4, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Clean install windows 10 after deactivating windows 10 S mode

You don't actually deactivate your Windows 10 in S Mode, what you do is switch out of S Mode. When you get the PC turn it on and set it up and make sure that it's activated. Then update the Store app before continuing,, you need an up to date Store to make the switch. Follow the steps in the tutorial below to switch out of S Mode. You'll then have a normal Windows 10 Home which will be activated with a digital license. You are correct, this is a one-way switch.

Switch out of S mode in Windows 10 for Free

Once you have normal Windows 10 Home and it says it is activated you are free to do a clean install of Home if you wish. You won't need a key, it should activate from the existing digital license.

Bree, Feb 4, 2020
Thema:

1. S mode deactivation - for surface and windows 10 - Similar Threads - mode deactivation surface

2. Does deactivating S mode affect every user?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does deactivating S mode affect every user?: I have multiple users on my laptop with windows 11 S mode active. If I deactivate s mode on one user will it deactivate for the other users? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-deactivating-s-mode-affect-every-user/9728b03a-8839-47a1-ac5b-621e83f68863
  3. Does deactivating S mode affect every user?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does deactivating S mode affect every user?: I have multiple users on my laptop with windows 11 S mode active. If I deactivate s mode on one user will it deactivate for the other users? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-deactivating-s-mode-affect-every-user/9728b03a-8839-47a1-ac5b-621e83f68863
  4. Windows 10 Surface - trouble switching out of S mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Surface - trouble switching out of S mode: I'm going to preface this post by saying I am in no way good at anything tech and am completely lost. I am an avid Mac user for most of my computer needs, however I recently obtained a Microsoft Windows 10 Surface that was handed down to me. I'm fairly certain it is the very...
  5. Windows 10 S mode deactivation

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows 10 S mode deactivation: Hello, I just got a laptop and every time I try to switch off from windows 10 Home S mode from Microsoft store it says "Try again, something happened at our end" this is really frustrating. How can I fix this please !...
  6. I want to deactive Windows 10 S mode

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I want to deactive Windows 10 S mode: I want to deactive the windows 10 S mode, and i've been trying to follow the guidelines on the Microsoft page. However, when i get to Microsoft Store, i can't press the "get" button. It is greyed out, and i am told that i need to check with my IT or system administrator. Its...
  7. Clean install windows 10 after deactivating windows 10 S mode

Clean install windows 10 after deactivating windows 10 S mode: The tilte says it all. I am getting a new laptop and will deactivate windows 10s Home to Windows 10 Home. After deactivating Windows 10s will I be able to do a format and install a clean copy of windows 10 home since it is supposed to be a one way street to deactivate 10s?...
  8. S Mode deactivation

in Windows 10 Customization
    S Mode deactivation: The S mode on my Hp Stream laptop just wont deactivate everytime I press get it just says I need admin permission to continue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/s-mode-deactivation/c6f1c2cf-2e13-44e2-b9ff-3993c6e87b2d
  9. Surface Go stuck in S mode

Surface Go stuck in S mode: Hi everyone, I recently bought a Surface Go on amazon. I tried installing apps but it's stuck in S mode. When I try to activate its giving me an error. I don't get why it's telling me that I Can't connect to the organisation's activation server since the edition is...
  10. How to reinstall Windows 10 Home in S Mode on Surface Go

in Windows 10 News
    How to reinstall Windows 10 Home in S Mode on Surface Go: [ATTACH] Surface Go a new budget Surface Device from Microsoft ships with Windows 10 Home in S Mode enabled. But users have the authority to sitch the OS to the normal Windows 10 Home version. This indirectly offers them a Surface [...] This post How to reinstall Windows 10...