Windows 10: Safely Remove Hardware Icon in Taskbar has disappeared

Discus and support Safely Remove Hardware Icon in Taskbar has disappeared in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My friend has lost the Safely Remove icon on her main computer, a newer desktop with Windows 10. I could not find a way/place to restore it. Please... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ceemes, Mar 19, 2017.

1. ceemes Win User

Safely Remove Hardware Icon in Taskbar has disappeared

My friend has lost the Safely Remove icon on her main computer, a newer desktop with Windows 10. I could not find a way/place to restore it. Please help. And thanks.

:)

ceemes, Mar 19, 2017
  2. AnnAbeles Win User

No "Safely Remove Hardware Icon" after Win 10 update

I have the same problem with my HP Pavilion. After the latest Windows 10 updates, the safely remove hardware icon has disappeared. When I look at "customize taskbar" by right clicking on the taskbar, I have already set it to "on" to show the icon but
    no icon appears - even after restarting the computer. HELP!

AnnAbeles, Mar 19, 2017
  3. franjomom Win User
    can't find the Safely Remove Hardware icon

I run Win 10 on my HP desktop. My "Safely Remove Hardware" icon disappeared from my TASKBAR recently . I can no longer see the letters for USB keys that I inserted , so I cannot click on one to eject.

In "THIS PC", my icons representing detachable drives disappeared , so I can no longer click on one to see the contents of a USB key or a detachable drive. I looked it up on Virtual Agent :

It said select "show hidden Icons" but I am not given that choice. I clicked Taskbar settings and it did not offer me a solution. Nothing below helped.

• Look for the Safely Remove Hardwareicon on the taskbar. If you don't see it, select Show hidden icons
       . Press and hold (or right-click) the icon and select the hardware you want to remove.
    • If you can't find the Safely Remove Hardware
      icon, press and hold (or right-click) the taskbar and select
      Taskbar settings
    • Under Notification Area, choose
      Select which icons appear on the taskbar.
    • Scroll to Windows Explorer: Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media
      and turn it on.
    • If this doesn't work, make sure the device has stopped all activity like copying or syncing files. Select
      Start
      > Settings
      > Devices. Select the device, and click
      Remove device.
    • Finally, check with the hardware manufacturer for new drivers or other updates.
    None of that helped. Please help me!

JoAn

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage]

franjomom, Mar 19, 2017
  4. Ztruker Win User

Ztruker, Mar 19, 2017
  5. Have a look in Settings > Personalization > Taskbar > Notifications area > Select which icons appear on the taskbar.
    Look for "Windows Explorer Safely remove hardware and eject media". If its set to off toggle it to ON.
    When off it only shows up if you click the up arrow in the notifications area, its semi hidden.

alphanumeric, Mar 19, 2017
  6. siennait Win User
    Will do that, too, Brink, just in case!

siennait, Apr 5, 2018
  7. siennait Win User
    In searching for a "permanent" solution to the missing taskbar icon for safely removing hardware, I found this rather old thread. (If there is a newer one with better information, please do not consider this post or move it to the appropriate thread).

The following is a "temporary" solution which I have been using for quite a while:

Right click on taskbar.
    Click on Task Manager.
    In Processes, go down to Windows Explorer.
    On the lower right, click on restart.
    Exit Task Manager

Safely Remove Hardware Icon in Taskbar has disappeared [​IMG]

The icon reappears in the taskbar and remains until the computer is shut down. Unfortunately, (nearly) every time you turn the computer back on, the icon has gone missing again. At any rate, if you don't want to change the registry or add short cuts to the desktop (as in some of the solutions Ztruker has kindly suggested), this is a quick workaround. Naturally, before doing anything else, the icon for "Windows Explorer - Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" must be turned on in Settings under "Select which icons appear on the taskbar".

Presently, this is in Win 10 Pro version 1709, and previously worked in version 1703.

siennait, Apr 9, 2018
  8. Bastet Win User

For safe eject USB notification missing:• Press keyboard "win + R"• Type "regedit"• Search the value "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Notifications\Settings\Microsoft.Explor er.Notification.{...}"• If your REG_DWORD 0x00000001(0) is set "0" you can double click on value. Set the value data to "1"• Click "OK"

Bastet, Apr 9, 2018
  9. siennait Win User
    Thanks Bastet, but I don't have that entry in my registry.

Safely Remove Hardware Icon in Taskbar has disappeared [​IMG]

siennait, Apr 10, 2018
  10. Bastet Win User
    That may be the reason why it doesn’t work.
    Is settings>notifications & actions>Get notifications from apps & other senders turned on?
    Under that same is auto play turned on too?
    Also turn on "Security and Maintenance under same.
    Is quite hours turned on in the action centre? If not turn it on then off again. If on turn it off.

Bastet, Apr 10, 2018
  11. siennait Win User
    Since this morning, the icon seems to be back again when turning on the computer. Could it perhaps have something to do with yesterday's Patch Tuesday?

In any event, I did all the adjustments you suggested just now and then shut down and turned back on the computer, and the icon was still in the taskbar just fine. However, that entry in the registry did not show up. I guess that doesn't really matter if the problem is resolved as it is.

Thanks again for helping!

siennait, Apr 10, 2018
  12. Bastet Win User
    Yes it could’ve been the patch which fixed the problem.
    In any case glad to hear all is now OK.

Bastet, Apr 10, 2018
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Apr 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Safely Remove Hardware Icon in Taskbar has disappeared - Similar Threads - Safely Remove Hardware

2. The "Safely Remove Hardware" icon has disappeared.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The "Safely Remove Hardware" icon has disappeared.: The icon used to appear in my System Tray. And it does not show up with "Show Hidden Icons". How do I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-safely-remove-hardware-icon-has-disappeared/ce5dee78-7fae-4dbd-83f0-6290813824e6
  3. Safely Remove Hardware icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Safely Remove Hardware icon: I have my USB device set for "better performance"; yet I can't get the Safely Remove icon to appear on my taskbar. I can see it only by going to "Show hidden icons." How can I get this icon to appear on the taskbar, or on the Windows list of "Select which icons appear on the...
  4. Safely Remove Hardware icon

Safely Remove Hardware icon: I cannot display Safely Remove icon on my taskbar. It is turned on in Settings/Select which icons appear - but does not appear. It is not showing in Hidden Icons. ??????...
  5. "Safely Remove Hardware" has disappeared.

"Safely Remove Hardware" has disappeared.: How do I get back my ability to safely remove my USB device? It seems to have vanished. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safely-remove-hardware-has-disappeared/6eee8ed9-4090-4afa-8dc3-675e0841f952
  6. safely remove hardware icon disappeared from taskbar.

safely remove hardware icon disappeared from taskbar.: Currently I have to wrench to usb flash drive to remove it 126636
  7. safely remove hardware icon disappeared from taskbar.

in Windows 10 Support
    safely remove hardware icon disappeared from taskbar.: Currently I have to wrench to usb flash drive to remove it 126636
  8. Restoring "Safely Remove Hardware" icon to Taskbar

Restoring "Safely Remove Hardware" icon to Taskbar: Hi everyone..... Frustrated here as I have been trying to restore the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon to my Taskbar. I operate Windows 10 and use Firefox as my browser. I have searched extensively and found answers......none of them work for me......HELP! Please do not...
  9. safely remove hardware icon

safely remove hardware icon: where is safely remove hardware icon https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/safely-remove-hardware-icon/b1cc5b40-80b4-4081-94b1-ca06b4acb523
  10. Safely Remove Hardware Icon disappears

Safely Remove Hardware Icon disappears: When, while in my user account, I mount two external drives on my pc, the Safely Remove Hardware icon appears in the Taskbar. If I eject one drive, the Safely Remove Hardware icon often, not always, disappears. The icon is still visible if I click the upward arrow in the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Notifications\Settings\Microsoft.Explor er.Notification

2. Why has the hardware icon disapeared