Windows 10: Scammer locked PC with Syskey startup password

Discus and support Scammer locked PC with Syskey startup password in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My older, non-computer savvy Dad was just taken by the oldest trick in the book. Hoping someone can help out. System: Toshiba Laptop. Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stocktiki, Apr 22, 2017.

1. stocktiki Win User

Scammer locked PC with Syskey startup password

My older, non-computer savvy Dad was just taken by the oldest trick in the book. Hoping someone can help out.

System: Toshiba Laptop. Windows 10 Home.

Scammer from "AOL" calls my dad and says his computer is corrupted. My Dad (sadly) gave him remote access. Scammer installed a password using Syskey startup. Now, on startup, Dad gets a black screen with message "This computer is configured to require a password in order to start up. Please enter the startup password below."

He's tried to get into the F8 menu by turning on PC and pressing F8, but the system goes straight into the password.

Can anyone help? Is there an easy fix I can help my Dad do remotely by talking him over it the phone?
    Scammer locked PC with Syskey startup password [​IMG]

:)

stocktiki, Apr 22, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Boot startup Password not working on windows 10

Yes, Christopher, you have been hit with Syskey

What they have done is encrypted your registry Hive, your files are still safe and secure . . .

Sometimes these scammers are lazy, try these passwords:

syskey

avs

Failing that, Google this 'How to Remove SysKey (Startup Password) After Telephone Scam' for full instructions on how to bypass these scammers actions . . .

DaveM121, Apr 22, 2017
  3. Whoff31 Win User
    Fake windows support to sell securepc.

Fake windows support set up syskey startup password, how do I get rid of it and keep my files?

Whoff31, Apr 22, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Without the password it usually means a clean reinstalling of Windows. Haven't seen or heard of it yet but possible the BIOS has been passworded, usually has 2, one for starting the computer and the other for entering the BIOS to make changes, they are separate where can have one but not the other.

Berton, Apr 22, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
  6. essenbe Win User
    First, do not try to boot into Windows again. It will depend on how aggressive the scammers were.

You can boot to a Windows 10 installation USB/DVD drive and attempt to do a system restore. System Restore Windows 10 - Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

If that does not work, as a last resort you can try this. It will depend if the registry backup was altered by the scammer and if the backup was altered by trying to boot into Windows.

You can use a Live Linux DVD/USB or another type USB. Many of us like the Windows 10 recovery ISO Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - - Windows 10 Forums
    1.POWER OFF your PC immediately.
    2.Boot to external media of some sort (NOT your Windows installation) and navigate to the %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config folder.
    3.Backup the registry hives in this folder to a temporary location. The files are:
    A.SOFTWARE
    B.SYSTEM
    C.SAM
    D.SECURITY
    E.DEFAULT

4.Navigate to %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\RegBack as mentioned earlier.
    5.Copy all registry hives from this folder (the same files as listed above) into the %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config folder.
    6.Reboot the PC.

EDIT: Looks like I was too slow

essenbe, Apr 22, 2017
  7. stocktiki Win User
    Thanks for the rapid replies. The Windows community is great!

The only problems remain:

* My Dad doesn't have a way to burn a recovery CD or USB. He only has one PC (the one that's infected).
    * I'm 2000 miles away from my Dad so must assist him over phone.
    * Sounds like there's no "simple way" to reset or reinstall Windows?

stocktiki, Apr 22, 2017
  8. essenbe Win User

essenbe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Scammer locked PC with Syskey startup password - Similar Threads - Scammer locked Syskey

2. Computer Locked by Scammers

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Computer Locked by Scammers: I've just got a laptop in that's running Windows 10. The owner thought he was dealing with his broadband provider as he has been having trouble with his internet. However, it turns out it was a scam and he allowed them access to his laptop. When they asked him to login to his...
  3. Disable syskey windows 10 (have password)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable syskey windows 10 (have password): One of my nephews friends thought it was a good Idea to put a syskey password on my nephews laptop a couple of years ago. My nephew has asked me to do a clean install on windows for him and I would like to disable the lock on the laptop for him but cannot for the life of me...
  4. syskey

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    syskey: how do I remove Syskey from Windows 10 so that I can upgrade windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/syskey/43bbc64d-048f-49a9-94b7-99b4e1e84392
  5. Syskey Removal

Syskey Removal: I activated SysKey and have the password on an early version of Windows 10 1703. Because Syskey is no longer supported I cannot upgrade to the latest version. Will windows refresh remove the syskey and is it the best procedure for removing Syskey and starting with a clean...
  6. Syskey virus

Syskey virus: Greetings all, My mother in law was hit by a phone scammer that resulted in her giving away her PW and the hooligan put a syskey on the computer. We can't even get to a log in screen and I have tried booting in safemode. Nothing happens. It just has that enter password box...
  7. syskey removal

syskey removal: how do I remove a syskey? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/syskey-removal/8cb86c91-f2e9-458c-beaf-83d5feebaba3
  8. windows syskey

windows syskey: I received the following message when trying to update my windows 10 installation: PC configured with an external syskey the new OS no longer supports. Need to change PC configuration to use a locally stored syskey. Help is needed!!...
  9. Syskey

Syskey: Hello, thanks for sparing time for my issue . I had syskey in my windows 10 operating system and I tried to update but in the final stage it did not go through because of the Syskey. so I tried to disable syskey but guess I did something wrong and it asked me to change my...
  10. inquiry on the SYSKEY feature

inquiry on the SYSKEY feature: ive never bothered to study about syskey until recently.. is it better to save the program onto flash drive? my pc was hijacked last year where a malicious program took control over it..so thats what got me thinking..*Shock 94468

Users found this page by searching for:

1. syskey scam passwords