Windows 10: Scheduled Defender Scan Does Not Run

Discus and support Scheduled Defender Scan Does Not Run in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Quite a while ago I created a Scheduled Task to run a daily manual Defender Quick Scan. It worked fine until the recent Creator's Update/Defender... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by bru, Dec 22, 2017.

1. BRU
    bru Win User

Scheduled Defender Scan Does Not Run

Quite a while ago I created a Scheduled Task to run a daily manual Defender Quick Scan. It worked fine until the recent Creator's Update/Defender Update (not sure which messed it).

I know some things changed with Defender and its path but I can't figure out what to change or how to get a scheduled Task created to run a Defender Scan. Since I have the Defender Scan as part of maintenance disabled (I did not need the duplication of effort) Defender doesn't scan my computer. Why does MS always have to mess things up. If anyone knows how to create a Task to run a Defender scan please let me know.

:)

2. bru20 Win User

Automatic Update broke Windows Defender

Ruizell, scheduling a scan according to that link is exactly what was done. The scheduled scan worked fine, and continues to work fine on computers running Windows 10 v1511. On my one computer that is now running Windows 10 v1607 (the Anniversary Update)
    the scan no longer runs as scheduled. Others report the same.

Clearly something in the AU broke either Windows Defender scheduled scans, scheduled tasks in general, or both.

bru20, Dec 22, 2017
  3. Scheduled scans by Windows Defender not recognized by Windows Defender

I have a scheduled scan by windows defender in my task scheduler. When I review the task in the task scheduler window, it shows that the task complete successfully two days ago, however when I open Windows Defender it says that I am overdue for a scan.

It appears that the Windows Defender program does not recognize the automatically scheduled scan.

dick8299RichardHam, Dec 22, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Dec 22, 2017
  5. BRU
    bru Win User
    Used that to create the task a while ago. And like I said it worked fine until the dual updates. Now it doesn't.

I'm curious if anyone who did the same (created a task for a scheduled Defender scan) is or isn't having the same issue? I've heard others report it on another forum.

6. Jeddie Win User
    @bru
    Running Ver 1709.

I have posted here before stating that automatic maintenace does not run on my PC. Never has.
    So I created a manual scan under Ver 1607.. It continues to work ok.

Jeddie, Dec 29, 2017
  7. BRU
    bru Win User
    On four different PCs the manual scan I created that previously worked fine does not in v1709. Or at least I think it doesn't. It may work sporadically but even that is not consistent across devices. One just had the red triangle over the Defender icon since a scan had not been run in a while. And I do have periodic scheduled maintenance scans enabled as it seems its impossible to disable them anymore.

Did you change something in the task for v1709? I'm guessing no. Can you post the "Actions" you are using in the task? Also, if you check your "Last Run Result" what does it say? I have verified that it says "Incorrect Function" but have been told a scan still runs. If true, for me it is not registering as a run scan in either the old Defender GUI or the new one.

8. Jeddie Win User

No I have not changed anything in the task.
    The Action I have in my scheduled task including the quotation marks = "C:\Program files\Windows Defender\\MpCmdrun.exe" Scan - Schedule job
    The job is shown as; 0x0 The operation has completed successfully.

Just to be clear this is found in Task Schedule > Task Schedule Library > microsoft > windows > windows defender.

Jeddie, Dec 30, 2017
  9. Eagle51 Win User
    My default WD task returns 0x0 sometimes and 0x2 sometimes, which I think is normal if it tried to run and the PC wasn't idle. I even unchecked all the idle boxes, but doesn't seem to matter.

I was just looking at the default WD task and this seems new for the Program (Arguments are the same IIRC).
    Program > C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\platform\4.12.17007.17123-0\MpCmdRun.exe
    Arguments > Scan -ScheduleJob -ScanTrigger 55
    Runs under System Account

I also added my ow WD task that runs every day at 6:00AM and always completes successful with 0x0.
    Program > "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe"
    Arguments > -SignatureUpdateAndQuickScan
    Runs under System Account

Note: When I first setup my WD daily task (before 1709 and running under the System Account) it wouldn't complete successful and I want to say it returned the "incorrect function", but I just don't remember. I had to use my Local Account and I had to add my Local Account to Windows Credentials > Generic Credentials. I actually just switched it back to System Account a couple days ago, to see if it would complete successful and if not, what return code it gave. Thought maybe I could verify that "illegal function", but no luck ... it completed successful.

Eagle51, Dec 30, 2017
  10. BRU
    bru Win User
    That is the built in maintenance scan. You apparently modified the built in task. I am taking about creating a new task to run a scheduled scan.

The action for my created scheduled task to run a Quick Scan is a bit different, has to do with UI iirc from when I set it up. Interestingly two computers yesterday ran the scheduled scan and gave me the notification in the action center, which has not been occurring since the 1709 update. Doesn't look like anything changed in Defender in terms of another update so not sure why.

11. Jeddie Win User
    No Bru - I am referring to a Task I created. As I sadi the automatic (built- in) scan does not work for me. Thats why I created my own task.

Jeddie, Dec 31, 2017
  12. BRU
    bru Win User
    Interestingly my scheduled scan has worked the last two days. Nothing changed on my end so I wonder if something happened behind the scenes.

13. Eagle51 Win User

I found that my WD Daily Task, that I switched to run under System Account vs Local Account a couple days ago, started not completing successfully (0x2) and I wasn't getting any Notifications. Switched it back to run under Local Account and now it's completing successfully and I'm getting Notifications again.

Eagle51, Jan 2, 2018
  14. BRU
    bru Win User
    I think I am using Local Account. It shows my name under "When running the task, use the following user account". If that's not right can you remind me how to change the scheduled task to run under Local Account? iirc for System Account you have to select "Change User or Group" and enter something there but default is local account.

15. Eagle51 Win User
    Sorry for the late reply...
    Correct, when you setup a task it defaults to your Local Account and shows your UserName. When I originally setup my WD Daily task I changed it to System, because that's what the default WD task used.

Yes, you click on Change User or Group and enter your UserName and then click Check Name to verify it's valid. You can also click on Advanced and in the new popup window, click on Find Now to see all the Accounts.

Eagle51, Jan 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Scheduled Defender Scan Does Not Run - Similar Threads - Scheduled Defender Scan

2. Windows Defender Schedule Scan Help

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Schedule Scan Help: For whatever reason I do not have Windows Defender Schedule scan and need to restore it. Can someone please tell me how to restore it? I currently have Windows 10 and I'm having trouble trying to locate the Window Defender Schedule Scan .xml file. 174473
  3. Windows Defender Scan Schedule

Windows Defender Scan Schedule: TWO QUESTIONS here... 1 Why is there absolutely no information in the "Task Scheduler" pertaining to exactly WHEN and HOW OFTEN the default/automated Windows Defender scans are run? 2 Yes, there are "Triggers" available to customize scan schedule. But does this cause the...
  4. Schedule Defender Scans

Schedule Defender Scans: No issue running at demand quick scans via Settings >Windows security>virus and threats >select quick scan . OK. Went to Task scheduler > windows defender to sequence a daily scheduled scan as per Brinks Tutorial and found this . [img] Proceeded to insert new scheduled...
  5. how to schedule windows defender scan

how to schedule windows defender scan: How can I schedule a windows defender scan https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-to-schedule-windows-defender-scan/1751ff45-23df-4e9e-ba79-2a46a16b7abd
  6. Schedule a scan in Windows Defender Antivirus

Schedule a scan in Windows Defender Antivirus: Good evening,I came to the Microsoft Community because I was asking for a request and to help me schedule the offline, customized and complete Windows Defender antivirus scan.I'm waiting for this message!Thank you!A good day!...
  7. Scheduling Windows Defender scans

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scheduling Windows Defender scans: I'm not understanding how/if Windows Defender anti-virus, etc. scans operate. Does the User need to manually start a scan, from the various Scan types available in settings ? It's unclear. Can't find anywhere to examine previous Defender scans ....to see what was...
  8. Schedule Windows Defender Scan

Schedule Windows Defender Scan: Can I schedule a virus scan to run at regular times? [Original Title: Windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/schedule-windows-defender-scan/eab2c9ea-4138-4a76-80d1-e0afa89c8f10
  9. Windows Defender Scheduled Scan

Windows Defender Scheduled Scan: How do I get Windows Defender Scheduled Scan back in Task Scheduler? I go: Schedule tasks > Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Defender. I had been messing around with the scheduler trying to make it work properly. Unfortunately, in the process I...
  10. Windows Defender Scan Schedule?

Windows Defender Scan Schedule?: Don't know if this is just me or not, but: For the last month or so WD regularly hits me with the Yellow Warning Triangle to SCAN NOW. Sometimes twice a day. Sometimes days between these events. I don't know enough to be able to find the date/time of it's last scan. Not...