Windows 10: Search using the Command Prompt

Discus and support Search using the Command Prompt in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi - I need a bit of help but it cannot be too technical as I don't understand half of what I read in these threads*Confused My computer will not boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tmanic, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Tmanic Win User

Search using the Command Prompt

Hi - I need a bit of help but it cannot be too technical as I don't understand half of what I read in these threads*Confused

My computer will not boot into Windows 10 (10.0.18302.356) but it does get so far as a Recovery Screen which tells me that a critical system driver is missing or contains errors. The file is pcw.sys with error code 0xc000007b. I've tried to recover from here but I get an endless loop.

From this screen I have managed to get to the Command Prompt. I have a full system backup on a usb hard drive but the program to run Restore is on the damaged computer. I don't have enough skills to find the 'Ashampoo Backup Pro 11 setup file' so that I can run it and use my stand alone BackUp.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

Tmanic, Nov 6, 2019
  2. cwtech Win User

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Nov 6, 2019
  3. Bree Win User
    Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

Bree, Nov 6, 2019
  4. Berton Win User

commands in command prompt

Many of the commands one can use in Command Prompt go back to the days of DOS/Disk Operating System. An example of how to use switches in chkdsk can be seen by typing chkdsk /? at the command prompt. There's a number of Web pages about the commands found by a Search:
    dos commands list at DuckDuckGo
    Some pages aimed at Win10:
    windows 10 commands for command prompt at DuckDuckGo

Berton, Nov 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Search using the Command Prompt - Similar Threads - Search using Command

2. Command prompt lost many useful commands

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command prompt lost many useful commands: Hi thereCMD on my Windows 10 PC has lost many useful commands.If I type dir it lists files in the current directory. It also responds correctly to cd, copy, eraseBut most other commands are lost. For example, help gives this response:'help' is not recognized as an internal or...
  3. Command prompt lost many useful commands

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Command prompt lost many useful commands: Hi thereCMD on my Windows 10 PC has lost many useful commands.If I type dir it lists files in the current directory. It also responds correctly to cd, copy, eraseBut most other commands are lost. For example, help gives this response:'help' is not recognized as an internal or...
  4. Command prompt lost many useful commands

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Disable Enhanced Search from command prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Enhanced Search from command prompt: Hello,I am on Windows 11, and lately, I have tried to turn on the enhanced search.Unfortunately, I believe that it completely "broke" my Windows. Indeed, it is impossible to navigate in file explorer hangs then crash, same for widgets, and impossible to go directly into the...
  6. Help with run command using the command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help with run command using the command prompt: Hello, I have a question regarding running a batch file using a command prompt. My batch file is in my directory. I change directory to where my batch file is located at , and run the batch file as shown in my example. But I got an error saying a run is not recognized...
  7. Using command prompt to backup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Using command prompt to backup: Hello My computer has crashed and is not loading past the blue screen but it does give me advanced options to go onto the command prompt. I am wondering if there is a way from command prompt, to back up all my files on my PC hard drive to my one drive also on the pc or if...
  8. Cant use Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant use Command Prompt: So as you can see in the SECOND photo below those are my Enviromental Variables. I cant use my Command Prompt for anything not even to verify app versions. For some odd reason its configured to a 32 bit system and a OpenSSh. I dont know what it means and I suspect its the...
  9. Use "Command Prompt" instead of "PowerShell"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Use "Command Prompt" instead of "PowerShell": Hi! I'm using Windows 10 version 1807, In this version, the option "Open in Command Prompt" fully removed from Explorer, in "File" menu and [Shift]+[Right Click] menu, And there's no option to get it back in Settings, only there's an option for [Alt]+[X] menu. I have to...
  10. commands in command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    commands in command prompt: is there a full list of DOS style Commands buried somewhere in win10 i try CHKDSK and get nowhere with the command unless I'm typing it wrong. but there are a few otthers i would be interested in as well. 54240