Windows 10: Secure Boot and UEFI Firmware updates?

Discus and support Secure Boot and UEFI Firmware updates? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Quick question. I have Secure Boot enabled, but would it cause any issues in case I need to update the UEFI firmware? So do I need to disabled... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by win10freak, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Secure Boot and UEFI Firmware updates?

Quick question.

I have Secure Boot enabled, but would it cause any issues in case I need to update the UEFI firmware?
    So do I need to disabled Secure Boot before updating the firmware?

Thx!

:)

win10freak, Feb 7, 2018
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 7, 2018
  3. Windows defender application guard

• Use UEFI firmware/BIOS settings at power-up to disable Secure Boot
    • Login to Windows to confirm that the problem has been resolved
      • If not, try resetting or deleting Secure Boot Keys in BIOS settings
    • Re-enable Secure Boot in BIOS/ UEFI firmware settings

Don Cuthbert, Feb 7, 2018
  4. Secure Boot and UEFI Firmware updates?

Hi,
    It's always recommended to use optimize defaults in bios before flashing them so I doubt secure boot would hurt anything seeing it being activated is a default setting.

ThrashZone, Feb 7, 2018
  5. You don't have to disable it. The secure boot setting in UEFI only affects whether or not you can boot to an unsigned OS bootloader.

If something goes wrong you can still get into UEFI to change the setting.

PolarNettles, Feb 7, 2018
  6. The laptop I have is still with the Windows 7 logo sticker on it and now I am running Windows 10 on it.
    So, as I now recall, I had to change the BIOS settings to use only UEFI and then now I have enabled Secure Boot.

So what do you suggest in case I need a firmware update?
    Should I disable Secure Boot before doing the firmware updates?

win10freak, Feb 7, 2018
  7. Just leave it enabled.

PolarNettles, Feb 7, 2018
  8. cereberus Win User

Secure Boot and UEFI Firmware updates?

If laptop is so old that it came with Windows 7, a firmware update is highly unlikely. Updating bios has nothing to do with secure boot anyway.

cereberus, Feb 7, 2018
  9. But sometimes the firmware needs to be updated with security patches as well especially with all this Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.

So this is why I needed to know whether or not Secure Boot needs to be disabled or not.

So again, Secure Boot can be left enabled during these firmware updates?

win10freak, Feb 8, 2018
  10. Several people already responded that you can leave it enabled.

PolarNettles, Feb 8, 2018
  11. Steve C Win User
    I've done this a few times and just left secure boot enabled which worked fine. It's prudent to load the BIOS defaults after a BIOS update, reboot then make your BIOS settings. Note it's usually possible to save/load your preferred settings from within the BIOS.

Steve C, Feb 8, 2018
  12. cereberus Win User
    It is still unlikely the bios will be updated on old devices.

Anyway you have been answered several tims now. Just leave it alone.

cereberus, Feb 8, 2018
  13. Secure Boot and UEFI Firmware updates?

Hi,
    Mostly scare ware don't worry about it there is nothing in the wild exploiting these issues
    Disable remote desktop features
    Don't use operating systems in virtual machine
    Make sure you use a real antivirus program
    Don't open links from within email from people you don't know and even if you do know them just know from even them copy and paste the links into a new browser window if you want to view one.. *Smile

Don't click on adds in websites or now within win-10 os.

A lot of older machines will not be getting a bios update
    MS will probably be issuing updates to patch the os where there is little to no action one needs to do other than install windows updates.

Win-10 is so generic looking bad guys and gals love it so assume every popup message that looks like an MS message is malicious when asking for your personal details/ payments.... *Smile

ThrashZone, Feb 8, 2018
  14. Well thanks to all for your added responses.
    If something goes wrong, then I will have to disable Secure Boot.
    No big deal.

win10freak, Feb 8, 2018
  15. Hi,
    Nobody that I've noticed has said secure boot needs to be disabled *Smile
    Optimize defaults whatever that does is what should be done before flashing bios you'll read that on all bios instructions posted by mother board manufactures.

ThrashZone, Feb 8, 2018
Thema:

Secure Boot and UEFI Firmware updates?

1. Secure Boot and UEFI Firmware updates? - Similar Threads - Secure Boot UEFI

2. System firmware UEFI, Secure Boot capable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System firmware UEFI, Secure Boot capable: HOW I change bios mode legacy to UEFI https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-firmware-uefi-secure-boot-capable/66df8b0f-a1ec-4f13-9a11-418c30280efd
  3. UEFI Secure boot

UEFI Secure boot: hi guys...pls help meif i need windows 11 then it tells me to enable secure boot....but if i go to my BIOS and enable my secure boot it should show my desktop....but it is showing something to setup........
  4. Windows 11 requirement = System firmware : UEFI, Secure Boot capable

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 11 requirement = System firmware : UEFI, Secure Boot capable: Hii My Dell laptop has the BIOS as legacy and Secure Boot mode as unsupported when I checked it by using the command msinfo32. I wanted to make my laptops BIOS as UEFI and secure boot enabled as it is one of the criteria for Windows 11. Can...
  5. How to boot Windows into UEFI or BIOS firmware

in Windows 10 News
    How to boot Windows into UEFI or BIOS firmware: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Many a time you need to reboot into the computer firmware, i.e., UEFI or BIOS. If your hardware keys are failing to boot you into BIOS or UEFI, you will need to do this. In this post, I will share [...] This post How to boot Windows into UEFI or BIOS...
  6. UEFI Secure Boot questions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UEFI Secure Boot questions: My laptop has Windows 10 with Secure Boot enabled in my UEFI firmware setting and my question is, can Secure Boot still protect booting from a malicious OS or tool (from a bootable USB stick) even when using the F12 Boot Menu Options prompt? I have a Dell laptop, which uses...
  7. UEFI with secure boot disabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UEFI with secure boot disabled: I ran a Belarc analysis and it showed a notification that the " UEFI with secure boot is disabled ".Is this a default setting or does it need to be enabled?I looked at the boot settings but was unable to figure out how to resolve this issue.I am not one who likes to guess at...
  8. UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?: I want to enable UEFI with Secure Boot and I do have an option to enable Secure Boot. But how can I tell if I am running UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c ? Because to enable Secure Boot, machines must have UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c I went to System Information, but It...
  9. Update issue.. UEFI firmware issue

Update issue.. UEFI firmware issue: [img] Any suggestions?? 4734
  10. uefi firmware not supported for windows anniversary update

uefi firmware not supported for windows anniversary update: Says that uefi firmware isn't supported when trying to upgrade https://i.imgur.com/iOsdbgO.png here is my disk management, what am i supposed to do? https://i.imgur.com/UX1qkeT.png 64005